The Florida Project

Tools    

Pixote is on Criterion.

I'd also say that Nobody Knows is in the same vein, especially in keeping to the children's perspective. It's about a group of kids who are abandoned in their apartment by their mother and try to survive on their own.

If you guys want a great movie from a child's perspective, Old Enough is leaving the Criterion Channel at the end of the month. Not quite as gritty as The Florida Project, but it does have a nice street level 80s NYC (non-hellhole) vibe.

I can't get it out of my head today, mostly because I don't want to. Wondering if there is anything similar out there, but I am thinking probably not.
Similar in terms of what? If it's the neo realism and tone then you could look at something like 'Never, Rarely, Sometimes, Always' and perhaps Eliza Hitman's other work too. Very assured film-making with non actors.

This may also extend to Andrea Arnold's work too - if you haven't seen Fish Tank give it a go. American Honey is also a little similar.

Then you have 'Ratcatcher' by Lynne Ramsay which I would say is VERY similar, and one of the best British films of the last 50 years. See also Clio Barnard's 'The Selfish Giant'.

If you're going further afield and exploring international film, there's perhaps the films of Lucas Moodyson and Ulrich Seidl's 'Paradise Trilogy'

There are no doubt loads more but I've only just got out of bed.

A system of cells interlinked
Thanks for the recommendations, everyone!