Fifty Shades of Grey

Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
If I were in your position I'd wish for a social life outside this forum first - if "rep" on a fairly small forum is that significant to you that's the type of mental image it conveys about your real life relevance. The last thing I thought about when earning my belts in Tae Kwon Do was my "reps on a site called movieforums.com", but that's just me. Some people have different 'priorities' apparently.

That and a juvenile tendency of attacking the messenger rather than the argument also indicates what I was referencing.
Bro, tae kwon do sucks.

Bro, tae kwon do sucks.
Yeah, Mortal Kombat is so much better isn't it?

So is derailing threads huh? What posts did you actually make about this movie before you chimed in here? I didn't see any.

Yeah, Mortal Kombat is so much better isn't it?

So is derailing threads huh? What posts did you actually make about this movie before you chimed in here? I didn't see any.
Yes.

Immediately after the film was released in theaters, it's rating on IMDB went down to a solid "1", but immediately shot back up to a 4.1/10 later - that's definitely the handiwork of trolls and has happened with other movies.

I rated it 5/10 myself, so I thought it was mediocre indeed. But that's not the point, the point is the pro-censorship agenda.
Actually the rating system for IMDB is weighted to counteract the very thing you're claiming. (By all means look it up yourself.) Of course your own rating is pretty much in line with IMDB, and it's pretty clear millions of men were dragged over the Valentine Day weekend to see it, and thus you see a huge drop off its second week. Word of mouth on the film can't be that good.

But then none of that matters, right, since you're simply fighting against the "pro-censorship agenda." I can support that. Only who exactly here has promoted censorship?

Actually the rating system for IMDB is weighted to counteract the very thing you're claiming. (By all means look it up yourself.) Of course your own rating is pretty much in line with IMDB, and it's pretty clear millions of men were dragged over the Valentine Day weekend to see it, and thus you see a huge drop off its second week. Word of mouth on the film can't be that good.
Here's another film where this has supposedly happened with - has an average rating of 7.5 on RT but only a 1.9 on IMDB.

According to the comments it's a foreign film which offended a lot of people in Bangledesh, so trolls swamped the movie with 1 star ratings just because they didn't like the content.

I didn't expect 50 Shades of Grey to have a good rating since it only has a 49% on Metacritic, but when a movie immediately drops to a solid "1 star" on IMDB on it's release that shows some trolls with an agenda, IMO.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2574698/...5?ref_=tt_bd_2

Pulling out an extreme example doesn't change that IMDB does indeed use a weighted system. The movie is geared toward women, and yet it stands at only 6.0 among women, with the highest rating coming from women under 18. Let's say the movie "deserves" a 5.0 rating. Not sure what this has to do with censorship, but it's mildly interesting.

Once again the difference there is that everyone understands that drug dealing is bad .
Sorry just missed this tidbit and couldn't help myself.

Um no, there's way less of a case for drug dealing being 'bad' than there is for violence or aggression toward an innocent person being bad. I can't see a person not knowing "this is bad" unless they're a sociopathic personality to begin with. Most studies show that sociopathic personalities develop from growing up around sociopathic individuals (ex. abusive parents, growing up in a "mafia family", etc) - not from watching movies, playing video games, etc

A good percentage of drugs which are illegal are less harmful than legal substances like alcohol, and I have more of a problem with locking people up for possessing a small amount of pot than I do the drug - I'd say drug dealing is more 'risky' than it is bad. Not to mention there's a financial incentive to sell drugs, but little incentive to abuse an innocent person other than for a sociopathic feeling of "power" or "control".

Master of My Domain
Tl;dR, don't get into these kind of arguments. Its a waste of time.

Could someone give me a tl;dr of what the argument in this thread is?
"Side A" thinks the movie is bad because it will lead to violence or domestic abuse; "Side B" thinks the claims are outlandish.

A girl did tell me today that she'll never watch the movie because it endorses domestic violence and rape culture. I told her "Ok"

I don't know anything about the movie or book so I might be speaking of my ass but I doubt it's purpose is to promote rape, also isn't the sexual theme the world of BDSM. As far as I know that does not = rape. But Girl with the dragon tattoo has a rape scene, but it's certainly not endorsing rape. Again I have no knowledge on the movie or book so maybe I'm just rambling.

This movie is causing me a lot of problems. I hate the people that like it, but I also hate the people that hate it. This movie has caused me to hate all people.

This movie is causing me a lot of problems. I hate the people that like it, but I also hate the people that hate it. This movie has caused me to hate all people.
Even those who are indifferent about it?

Chappie doesn't like the real world
A girl did tell me today that she'll never watch the movie because it endorses domestic violence and rape culture. I told her "Ok"

I don't know anything about the movie or book so I might be speaking of my ass but I doubt it's purpose is to promote rape, also isn't the sexual theme the world of BDSM. As far as I know that does not = rape. But Girl with the dragon tattoo has a rape scene, but it's certainly not endorsing rape. Again I have no knowledge on the movie or book so maybe I'm just rambling.
Sorry Donnie, but yeah, you're way off. No one, as far as I know, has any problem with the fact that it contains bondage (and very very little of it) it's the guys behavior that people find problematic.

It's those same people who're apparently under the presumption that if a person stood on a street corner with a T shirt that said "rape is awesome" - that this would somehow 'cause people to rape' even though there is no actual study or evidence which suggests this. "Rape culture" doesn't exist anyway - that sounds like a conspiracy theorist term.

Likewise the same PC mindedness is a one-way street; plenty of movies and TV shows feature a woman getting angry or controlling behavior toward a male partner (ex. even actual 'abuse' such as slapping him) and the same hyperbolic controversy doesn't brew.

I have a feeling if the sexes were reversed in this film (ex. young guy hooks up with dominatrix) that it'd generate more laughs than 'controversy' even if the plot was identical.

I have a feeling if the sexes were reversed in this film (ex. young guy hooks up with dominatrix) that it'd generate more laughs than 'controversy' even if the plot was identical.
*nods*

Probably would. I'm really not aware of the "controversy" going on with the Fifty Shades of Grey movie -- or even what you guys are really fussing about -- but yeah. If the sexes were reversed... it probably would be laughed off. It wouldn't even be a big movie, I imagine. Who would go see it? Men wouldn't be flocking to such a thing, and probably not many women.