Top 5 Lists

Tools    

Top 5 Hanks acting jobs:

1. Forrest Gump
2. Philadelphia
3. A League of their Own
4. Cast Away (Don't like picture much, but he owned it)
5. Sleepless in Seattle

Top 5 reasons the MPAA's ratings system isn't working

-No workable Adult rating
-Standards of taste for teenagers have fallen
-NO SEX!!!!!
-Smiling on violence, and to a lesser extent, profanity
-Insistence upon limiting artistic freedom if in the name of cleanliness or safety of children, who will no doubt rent the unedited version of the video later.

I disagree with your second list there. It really comes down to one point: you cannot base maturity on age. However, they are completely right to stop certain children from entering certain movies. A 12 year old boy should not be allowed to walk right into Showgirls. That's not unfair censorship...that's common sense.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Plus like you said Steve any kid can rent it, or their parents can rent it for them, most parents could care less what their kid is watching, there are a few that actually question why it's rated what and all, but thats a few, the rest just go by what the kid says, cause the kid knows whats in it.

The rating system is a little soft when it comes to certain movies. I was just noticing something the other day. Do you realize that The Jerk is rated R and has no nudity in it, but it has language. Sixteen Candles is rated PG and has nudity in it and language. What's up with that!?!? They had a 5 year span in between both movies I believe, but does anyone else find that funny?
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Steve N.
Truth be told, however, I did enjoy the performances, and Gary Oldman deserves to be nominated for an Oscar.
Just catchin up on this thread and noticed this comment by Steve. Did you realize that Oldman didn't get his way so demanded to be left out of the credits. Which kinda drops him from oscar potential if ya ask me.

This is for OG to get him started:
Top 5 Kurosawa films

5. The Hidden Fortress
4. The Seven Samurai
3. Ikiru
2. Ran
1. Yojimbo

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Originally posted by Steve N.
Top 5 reasons the MPAA's ratings system isn't working

-No workable Adult rating
-Standards of taste for teenagers have fallen
-NO SEX!!!!!
-Smiling on violence, and to a lesser extent, profanity
-Insistence upon limiting artistic freedom if in the name of cleanliness or safety of children, who will no doubt rent the unedited version of the video later.
I agree completely. Especially the last line. I can only imagine how many movies could have been greater and how many movies could be great if their were no restrictions. Or at least, not as many restrictions.

I notice that a lot of people that come into the store I work at will ask for a new horror movie. I'm like, well there hasn't been any good horror movies made in a while. They rent something with an unknown cast a bad plot, and funny looking villian.

I think everyone's taste in general has fallen. I mean there is still a few that know what's good to watch and what isn't. My philosophy is...if you haven't heard about it it probably isn't good. When you go from big name action guys to Dolph Lundgren you're really needing some help. Most movies these days are made tasteless and more appealing to teenagers because they figure...hey...Amerian Pie was a hit so lets make something even more tasteless and see how much we can make. There is a low point and most movies made today that are aiming for that usually fall below it...very far below it.

How did you get your name Sultan bigpants? Are you a fan of i dream of Jeannie?

and seven samurai is better than RAN I think. Altho YOJIMBO is still nubmer ONE!!!!

Hey, don't forget Rashomon. Gotta be in the top five. It's my favorite.

Yojimbo is ace but Seven Samurai is a lot better. I agree with PigsnieLite, Seven Samurai is better than Ran.

All of the Kurosawa films are very close and it was a tough list. The only easy choice for me was Yojimbo.
Also, whoever believes that any film they haven't heard about probably isn't very good is irrational and is probably missing out on a lot of good movies. Logically it doesn't work out either. EXAMPLE: Mystery Train is a great movie. It has been for many many years. Before I heard about it, was it no good? And only good once I heard about it? hmmm...

Oh, by the way, I inherited the title of Sultan from my father, Sultan Womankisser, who ruled before me.

Ikiru's my number one. Gets me every time. It's probably my all time favorite movie. :bawl:

I think Seven Samurai's better than Ran, Yojimbo's in a tie with Samurai I think. Rashomon is a flawed masterpiece, for me at least.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I agree with spdrcr on his comment. If I haven't heard anything, and I mean ANYTHING, on a movie then it PROBABLY, isn't good. I say this because, I know soo many different people, who all have different tastes. If Steve tells me Lost and Delerious was an amazing film, then I've heard about it. If he hadn't told me about it first, someone else probably would of told me. Or I may have read it somewhere online, either way I'm hearing about it from somewhere at somepoint, which will inspire me to go see it. Now if I hadn't heard about it through those hundred different mediums for me to of had heard about it, than its probably not worth mentioning, and therefor probably not worth seeing. I'm not sure if Chris' commennt was directed towards speedracers or not, but I think it applies. The public isn't wrong. If it's good, then the public is going to see it at some point(by public I mean anyone in the world), and if it's good the word will get out at some point. Given enough time, I'll probably hear about it, and most likely go see it at some point.

Top 4 Desert Island favorites:

McCabe & Mrs. Miller
Ikiru
Leaving Las Vegas
Tokyo Story

Messenger from Hades' Gate
Top Five Robin Williams movies:

5) Good Will Hunting
4) Mrs. Doubtfire
3) Good Morning Vietnam
2) Dead Poet Society

The Best:

Awakenings

Bottom Five Robin Williams movies:

5) Flubber
4) Death to Smoochy
3) What Dreams May Come
2) The Birdcage

The Worst:

Toys

ressurecting threads from the dead are we?

i kinda liked death to smoochy.