MoFo Book Club?

Tools    

We all float down here....
Would there be any interest in a MoFo book club? One book per month decided on by the members based on member nominations. Then a group discussion of the book.

Would there be any interest in a MoFo book club? One book per month decided on by the members based on member nominations. Then a group discussion of the book.
If I were you, I would do a search first for “book”. There may already be a thread for something like this.

I love books, but don’t have time for a book club.

If I were you, I would do a search first for “book”. There may already be a thread for something like this.

I love books, but don’t have time for a book club.
I would but the search function here doesn't seem to work.

Works okay here, but if you need assistance/find a bug let me know (or start a thread in the Site Stuff forum) and I'll be glad to help.

Search works real good here and I use it all the time. But it took me awhile to discover this hidden search feature: If you type a word into the main search on MoFo you only get results for thread title searches.

But if you click search without typing anything...then you get the advanced search page and you can then search by thread title or by posts and also get results as threads or posts (and a bunch of other neat parameters can be chosen too like date range and user ID.)

I say this is hidden because at least on my computer I don't see where there's a link for advanced search when I click the magnify glass icon...Though if you use the search from an individual thread, then there is an advanced search link.

@Yoda maybe you can add an advance search link to the main search?

Search works real good here and I use it all the time. But it took me awhile to discover this hidden search feature: If you type a word into the main search on MoFo you only get results for thread title searches.

But if you click search without typing anything...then you get the advanced search page and you can then search by thread title or by posts and also get results as threads or posts (and a bunch of other neat parameters can be chosen too like date range and user ID.)

I say this is hidden because at least on my computer I don't see where there's a link for advanced search when I click the magnify glass icon...Though if you use the search from an individual thread, then there is an advanced search link.

@Yoda maybe you can add an advance search link to the main search?
I was actually going to ask you if there was a book club here before?

I was actually going to ask you if there was a book club here before?
There was something like that 7 years ago, but those people have mostly left the board. The OP should go for it! Maybe some will join.

A system of cells interlinked
I am an avid reader, but these days, find it hard to find time everyday to read. I read mostly in the mornings lately, before I head out for work.

I would be happy to be part of your book club.

I would be happy to be part of your book club.
Welcome! Just to be clear, it's not my book club. It's ours.

Hopefully we can attract more members. Gonna be tricky with only two of us.

There was something like that 7 years ago, but those people have mostly left the board. The OP should go for it! Maybe some will join.
How about you?

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'd like to, but many times I start a biography, and then start something else that catches my fancy. I have so many unfinished books (unless it's a book I REALLY want to read, which I can finish in 2-3 days).

How about you?
Thanks but I don't read. By that I mean I haven't read a book in decades, just no time. If I did read a book it would probably be non fiction. But I do think this is a neat idea! Even if only a few people join in, it will be fun

BTW Takoma is the perfect person to have join as she will add a lot to the conversation. So maybe you two should discuss what books you're interested in reading/discussing and how the Book Club will work.

I'd like to, but many times I start a biography, and then start something else that catches my fancy. I have so many unfinished books (unless it's a book I REALLY want to read, which I can finish in 2-3 days).
A book club might be perfect for you. Put a little pressure on you to finish the book.

BTW Takoma is the perfect person to have join as she will add a lot to the conversation. So maybe you two should discuss what books you're interested in reading/discussing and how the Book Club will work.
We will discuss the details. Just want to give it some more time to attract new members.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
A book club might be perfect for you. Put a little pressure on you to finish the book.

That's the problem -- pressure..

Plus, I still can't get into fiction. I spend enough time with my own imagination

I’m rereading Don Quixote. There’s the semi-new gorgeous Edith Grossman translation. Would probably get fired if job knew, but then again, I watch far too much stuff too.

Welcome! Just to be clear, it's not my book club. It's ours.

Hopefully we can attract more members. Gonna be tricky with only two of us.
You're right! I own 50% of this book club, and don't any of you forget it!!

Honestly, some people might be waiting to see what kind of books will be chosen before joining. If you're a romance fan, you don't want to join a book club only to find you're now responsible for reading a 400+ page biography of Woodrow Wilson or something.

Did you have any ideas about what book you might want to read?

One thought I had was that we could pick a novel that's been adapted into a film, then watch the film adaptation (or adaptations plural if we read something like The Big Sleep). That way it's like a book club and a movie club at the same time.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I don't mean this to sound rude, but I find it amusing that people who watch TV shows and movies then say they don't read fiction because of some reason relating to it being frivolous (compared to, say, nonfiction). By that reasoning, one should watch only documentaries and the news.

I'm just funnin' with all of you. Hubby doesn't read books, either... AND I WRITE BOOKS. Sheesh. He's never read one of them.

If you don't mind people participating based solely on how the month is going and what the book is, I'd be interested.