Solaris

→ in
Tools    

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by genesis_pig
Still not sure whether I should or not, Sedai has tempted me a bit.
It's a favorite of mine too. It's got a very methodic, dreamlike feel to it and tips its hat more than a few times to 2001: A Space Odyssey. It'll put you to sleep if you're tired, though, as it's almost "sleep cinema" with lots of slow, quiet shots; low droning sounds; and beautifully hypnotic music.

A system of cells interlinked
It is other film then Tarkowski's original, both differs from Lem's novel.
Whew! FINALLY solved that mystery!

Reading the actual thread of conversation, one would immediately understand that everyone involved in the discussion thus far is well aware of the various incarnations of Solaris. But hey, thanks for playing!

Would it be a sin to watch the new version before watching Tarkovsky's film? Is the remake very different from the original?

I haven't seen the 1972 version but I tried to watch the 2002 Clooney version the other night.

I managed 20 minutes and turned it off.
I recorded it as well when it was on but my second try at watching it, I managed 30 minutes before turning it off and then deleted it from the DVR.

Simply tedious.
The 30 minutes I managed to drag my attention through actually felt like over 2 hours. I kept watching the clock as well.

I have no desire to watch the newer one,it seems to be even more boring than the original.Boring as in predictable and Hollywood-ish.Maybe I am wrong.

Would it be a sin to watch the new version before watching Tarkovsky's film? Is the remake very different from the original?
Well, it's only much worse. Of course it is not "a sin" but you will be speeding two hours of your time inefficiently, unless you are a hardcore fan of science fiction. I am a huge fan of science fiction and I didn't like the 2002 Solaris. Also, Mark F is right that they are two separate adaptations of the same novel and are quite different (of course, nobody can make a Tarkovsky movie like Tarkovsky).

I kept watching the clock as well.
He never should have bought that Young Guns clock.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Maybe this is the wrong thread for this, but do you guys think Solaris is worth checking out. I'm a fan of 2001, and other art-house style films.

^ Watch the original.Many people compare 2001 and Tarkovsky's Solaris.Tarkovsky called 2001 "sterile".