Do the Right Thing

→ in
Tools    

I think, that with the discussion that's going on in the Multiple Bombings thread, this movie may have some relevance. What do you all think of it? TWT, I strongly recommend you rent it if you haven't already seen it. I would love to hear your opinion on it.

Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing (1989) is a masterpiece, an important & powerful film, and should be REQUIRED viewing in this country.

Not that I have any strong feelings on the subject.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

No, I have not seen it. Keep in mind that, while my parents do give me plenty of freedom, I just recently came of age concerning R-rated movies. I've seen many before, with my parents' approval, but I haven't had much time, so to speak, to see this. Another one of the reasons I want to move out shortly: I can rent any movie I feel like watching. As it stands now, some things must be screened. It's a real pain, to be honest, but I can't say I blame them. They've done a good job overall of easing me into responsibility and independence, so I can't complain.

I hear that. My parents used to screen what I watched, but when they realized I wasn't just watching movies for a thrill or to see naked chicks, they eased up. I wrote an essay about how terrible Titanic was when I was in 7th grade ( ) and they figured out that I actually knew something about movies. I'm glad they dont restrict me anymore, it would get to be a bit of a pain. I can pretty much watch anything. I figure, though, different people have different ideas of how children should be raised, and hey,if you've no complaints,then more power to your parents. However, you are of legal age now, that sounds like it's pretty healthy ammunition if you want to argue about it with them.

Btw, Do the Right Thing is rated R for profanity and a brief shot of breasts. Nothing you haven't seen before.

Nothing I haven't seen before? Uh, what are you talking about? ::looks around nervously:: I mustn't see a female's bosom...it will corrupt my fragile little mind. Anyway, yeah, they're getting looser about it all. I still haven't seen an R-rated movie in the theatres yet...though I intend to make 13 Ghosts the first.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Do the Right Thing is, in my opinion, the best movie ever made. It has everything and anything a movie needs to be good.

Spike Lee does such an amazing job directing this masterpiece of emotions and morals. I have never seen a movie so effective in arrousing such diverse emotions in the watcher. I've had movies make me smile, make me laugh, make me sad, make me angry, make me frustrated, and a number of other emotions that don't have words. The movie is so basic, that it is awesome. I'm not saying awesome in the sense that "damn that was cool" but in the sense that the movie filled me with awe. It doesn't rely on any tricks of the trade to get its point across like so many other movies, it simply puts it out there in such a wonderfuly basic way that you can not help but to appreciate the genius that went into conceiving this movie.

The acting is simply some of the best ever. If I had to come up with the top 3 movies with the best performances in them, I guarantee at least 2 of them would be Spike Lee joints. Spike Lee himself, playing the main character, is far above just being okay. He is as good an actor as he is director. Samuel L. Jackson's performance ties the whole movie together. His character sort of expresses the whole tone of life throughout the movie. Rosie Perez gives a great performance as Mookey's girlfriend, but not as well a performance as John Turturo(spelling?) gives as the son of Sal. I truly believed he was a racist because of the mans extreme acting abilities.

I'd post more, but I gotsta gets going, so if you haven't seen this movie yet, go see it now. It will change your ideas on culture, life, racism, sexism, any kind of ism for the better.

Spike Lee always bring up the most susceptible issue about racism... like in his film ' school days' ' she's gotta have it ' there is always a sensitive issue of Black and white. Yet.. he is one of the Afro-American Directors of all time.
i don't know why he always played a role in any of his films and his sister Joir Lee. HUm.. .

It reached #100 in Channel 4's best films of all time list as voted for by the public. Having said this, it wasn't a free vote; the 100 best films were preselected by a panel of 10 film critics meaning people could only vote for their favourite from the hundred; conclusion is, Do the right thing was the least favoured of the hundred movies.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I just watched this today as it is often mentioned on movie forums. And I want to know what I was missing. Not that I thought it was a bad film, by any means, but I cartainly didn't get the 'wow that was a masterpiece it should be required viewing' etc etc type feeling.

First, I'll admit, it took me a while to get done laughing at the neon leggings t-shirts and bermuda shorts everyone was wearing (Yeah I used to dress like that in `1989 as well, but didn't realise at the time how stupid we all must have looked...).

I suppose part of my problem is that I find it hard to warm to films where none of the characters are really sympathetic. Watching this I just started to get angry with how stupid they were all being. But maybe that was the point of the film.

I liked the way some shots seemd to be on an angle, but at times (like just before the riot when they are talking in the street) it seemed very stagy.

So, I saw Do the Right Thing a couple of weeks ago, as part of a Netflix-inspired crash course through classic cinema. I've been trying to fill the gaps in my viewing, and this was an obvious selection.

I'm very torn on this film. The cast is great, and the film is crisp and well-directed. The storyline is undeniably compelling, to the point at which I found myself interested in what, in retrospect, were pretty mundane thing about the characters' lives. That's one of the things I look for, and it tells me that the movie is genuinely engaging.

Radio Raheem in Do the Right Thing
If I had to pick one significant flaw, it'd have to be Lee's decision to cast himself in the role of Mookie. I thought his performance was positively mediocore. This could be, of course, because he's surrounded by the likes of Danny Aiello, Ossie Davis, and the always briliant John Turturro; it might be a contrast thing. Nevertheless, I thought he was the weak link in an otherwise stellar cast.

Speaking of contrast, one thing I really admire about Do the Right Thing is its Dick Tracy-esque use of color. At the time, it felt a little odd, but looking back, I realize that it contributed to a general feeling of ease. Part of me took the colors to mean that I wasn't watching anything too serious. This state of mind was necessary for the film's finale to have a more jarring effect.

Socially, I think the film does a good, fairly even-handed job of portraying the difficulties and nuances of race relations, and that alone makes it a rare film. I don't know whether this -- one of the film's strength -- is helped or hurt by Mookie's sudden shift at the end of the film. It caught me by surprise, to be sure, but it didn't seem consistent with what I'd seen before. Then again, maybe that's the idea.

All that said, I quite enjoyed Do the Right Thing, and would recommend it to anyone, but I didn't find it to be a masterpiece. I started a thread a couple weeks ago with some potential theories that might explain this:

Are movies depicting prejudice overrated?

Long story short: maybe films like Do the Right Thing lose their impact if they're not the first serious treatise on racial tension to pass before your eyes. And maybe race relations have changed enough that films like this don't have the same resonance they would have if I'd seen them in their own time period. How much of the admiration the film receives is based on it being perceived as "important," rather than, well, simply good? Unfortunately, there's no way of knowing, but I liked what I saw, albeit not as much as the rest of you.

A great film.

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
An overrated film.

It's almost as if Spike Lee thought that since it was a movie about a touchy subject, he could just throw together a bunch of boring and irrelevant dialogue.

A system of cells interlinked
An overrated film.

It's almost as if Spike Lee thought that since it was a movie about a touchy subject, he could just throw together a bunch of boring and irrelevant dialogue.
What movie was that in? Not Do The Right Thing, which had excellent dialogue throughout...

I mean....come on....

"Yo....Yo....YO... you stepped on my Air Jordans!"

"Daaaaaaaamn, them shits is broke! You better throw them shits out!!"

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
My favourite bit of dialogue was when Buggin' Out is trying to get the three old men to boycott the pizzeria, and one of them tells him he should boycott his barber instead.

The People's Republic of Clogher
It's the sledgehammer of polemical films and a longstanding favourite of mine.

As to folk saying Do The Right Thing is overrated, I'm not one to tell you that you've got wonky taste (as I spy Carry On Camping on my coffee table) but I will say that I think the social aspect of the film needs to be treated with a degree of contextual observance.

On the other hand, if you don't respect it from a purely aesthetic point of view I just don't want to talk to you.

I loved it now will you talk to me Tatty