Do the Right Thing

→ in
Tools    

I'm very torn on this film.
I do believe thats exactly what Lee was going for.

If I had to pick one significant flaw, it'd have to be Lee's decision to cast himself in the role of Mookie.
He has never been much of an actor, but the reason he cast himself is a matter of poignance. When directors place themselves in a movie, it can usually be taken as a kind of an analytical arrow.

The dialogue, actions and ideology of the director's character can sometimes be seen as a refraction of the director's own characteristics. It is not unlike what Jean Renoir did with Rules of the Game (1939).

I think it's incredibly important for Spike Lee to place himself in the movie. This suggests that it is not only up to Mooky, but also Spike Lee to actually do the right thing. This is part of the reason that this movie got everyone thinking, even after the show was over.

So in my opinion, the bad acting isnt so bothersome considering what it means to me on these other levels.

...one thing I really admire about Do the Right Thing is its Dick Tracy-esque use of color. At the time, it felt a little odd, but looking back, I realize that it contributed to a general feeling of ease. Part of me took the colors to mean that I wasn't watching anything too serious. This state of mind was necessary for the film's finale to have a more jarring effect.
I disagree. To me, the bright contrasting colors were highly distracting, and helped build a very strong sense of unease. (Or did you mean to say unease?)

This was a brilliant idea, in my opinion. In the movie, all of the characters feel a deep level us unrest, unease, and discomfort due to the incredible heat wave. Because Spike cannot make the audience feel this heat, he utilized bright colors and distracting compositions to suggest the same feeling of unease within the audience.

This contributed to the build-up to the inevitable riot at the end of the film, (at which point, the sun has gone down, so has the heat, as well as the bright colors.)

A system of cells interlinked
Good posts on this film, guys. I love hearing other people's interesting angles on films, that help me see it through a wider lens.

Ok...now a couple of you may have read a few of my posts dealing with how much I dislike "Do The Right Thing" and how much of an overrated film I felt it was.

Well...I decided to watch it for the fourth time to see if my views would change and they sure did. Finally, I have found the brilliance that is "Do The Right Thing" and I am glad to now realize why it is held in such high regard. It is a very fine film and is one that everyone should watch.

Spike Lee has coasted for two decades on the strength of this one film, but if you have to rest on your laurels, what laurels to rest on! Do the Right Thing remains to this day the one and only film about race in America that is emotionally and factually honest - no pretense, no ideology, no ******** moralizing.

Finally, I have found the brilliance that is "Do The Right Thing" and I am glad to now realize why it is held in such high regard. It is a very fine film and is one that everyone should watch.
Glad you've switched teams, but what was it that changed your mind?

Glad you've switched teams, but what was it that changed your mind?
Honestly, I don't really know. You know when a movie is boring you when you start to toss and turn and shift positions and try to fall asleep for a bit. Well this previous time I didn't and I think I just really payed attention and watched with a keen eye.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
I'm at my computer in class. I've been showing it to my Short Stories class the last two days. Some of them get it, most of them are very perplexed even as I try to explain it to them. Of course the school I'm at is very small and it's not a very diverse community and most have not seen films like Do the Right Thing where there isn't a spoon fed plot. So of course I'm getting a lot of "What's the point?"

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201