Movies people can't dislike without losing your respect

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Ok, bearing in mind I'm married to someone who only saw the original Star Wars trilogy a year ago....

Most of my favourite movies, I can see why someone wouldn't like them. Although I think I would have a bit less respect for a date that didn't like Star Wars, Brief Encounter or Withnail & I.

some movies have strong messages, or specific types of humor, and someone not liking the messages, or not "getting" the humor, can potentially tell you a not-insigificant amount about who they are. It's a bit dangerous to make sweeping judgments based on this sort of thing, to be sure, but we're glossing over those for the sake of discussion.

Anyway, if you prefer, you can take the question as "if there's any film which someone must like to have your respect, what would it be?"
I guess there's just no movie I care that much about. I mean, I think Citizen Kane is the greatest movie ever filmed, but I don't adore it, and if some of you hate it, that's fine with me. My youngest son likes Meet the Parents; I thought it was a waste of film. Yet we both laugh our heads off at old reruns of Bob Newhart and Blades of Glory.

I guess I side with that movie producer who supposedly once said, "If you want to send a message, use Western Union." Movies are just entertainment to me. I don't ever recall coming out of a theater thinking, "Wow, that was so lifelike!" or "What a lesson!" None have ever inspired me to similar action, as when Tony Curtis joined the Navy's submarine service after seeing Cary Grant in Destination Tokyo.

I think who likes which movie is more a matter of age, taste, and culture rather than some litmus test for acceptance or rejection. Outside of forums like this, I seldom discuss movies at all.

That is funny, about the whiny kid.
You should hear her imitating Brandon DeWilde. "Shaaaaaaaaaane! Commmmmmmme baaaaaaaaaaaaack, Shaaaaaaaaaaaaaane!"

Back when Shane was first released, Mad Magazine did a takeoff that also focused on the loudmouth kid who was always getting on the grown-ups' nerves and causing trouble. I think in the end, Shane shot him.

What the mother eff'? I got neg'd for my previous post? I'm not gonna' mention any names, but what the eff'? Maybe someone else can give me some insight as to why that post may have been offensive. I wasn't intended to be. I could do a lot better than that.
The individual words are jumbled then the spaces are removed. PM the answer to me. First one with the answer wins.

Alright lads. Nice thread, Yoda.

When me and my girlfriend first got together, we pretty much had common taste in films. From Citizen Kane to The Matrix. She can appreciate a range of genres but she, like most females, is a sucker for 'chick flicks'.

However, the biggest 'BLANK' was that she didn't consider Christopher Nolan's masterpiece that is Memento a 5 star film. ): She at least gave it 4 stars, which is the very least you can give the film, but it frustrated me quite a bit. In fact, she thinks I highly overrated Mr. Nolan and I think she overrates Quentin Tarantino.

She also didn't enjoy Shane Meadows' This Is England as much as I did, and I absolutely adored it. I think it's almost 5 star quality. I mean, she LOVED the soundtrack and thought some parts of the film was funny, but I think the rest of the themes of the film were a bit too uncomfortable for her to get into.

She can appreciate a range of genres but she, like most females, is a sucker for 'chick flicks'.

she didn't consider Christopher Nolan's masterpiece that is Memento a 5 star film.

In fact, she thinks I highly overrated Mr. Nolan

She also didn't enjoy Shane Meadows' This Is England as much as I did, and I absolutely adored it. I think it's almost 5 star quality. I mean, she LOVED the soundtrack and thought some parts of the film was funny, but I think the rest of the themes of the film were a bit too uncomfortable for her to get into.
I think I agree with your girlfriend on all points here.

Let's face it, giving 4 stars to a film you give 5 stars to isn't a huge difference.

Ok Confession time Back in the seventies, i was dating a german chef I took him to the movies to see a double i loved Flesh for frankenstein
and Blood for Dracula after the movies he declared that i was a sick individual and didn't want to go out with me again
I wish a girl would take me to a horror movie

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Personally, I think that finding the right person in life is so very rare, that I wouldn't care what movies she did or didn't like, cause in the end, it's so trivial. I mean I've sat through countless terrible movies for women I've dated (ummmm, the sequel to Dirty Dancing? yeah.), and I'm sure they've done the same for me (I will admit a fondness for Batman movies and Plan 9 from Outer Space. heh). You have to compromise a little bit.

Unless she didn't like The Big Lebowski, cause then thats a girl I don't want to be with.

Ok Confession time Back in the seventies, i was dating a german chef I took him to the movies to see a double i loved Flesh for frankenstein
and Blood for Dracula after the movies he declared that i was a sick individual and didn't want to go out with me again
Just like that bit in Taxi Driver...Did you say to him 'but couples go to these movies all the time'?

I think I agree with your girlfriend on all points here.

Let's face it, giving 4 stars to a film you give 5 stars to isn't a huge difference.
Errrmmmmmmmmmmm, hmmm have to..um, DISAGREE. I think i've explained the big difference between a 4 and a 5 star film in at least half of the 120 posts I have been on this forum..

A 5 star film is and should be the rarest grading of a film. To give a film 5 stars is to suggest that the fillm is absolutely perfect and achieves of it's intentions and goals. 4 star films on the other hand are EXCELLENT films with somewhat minor faults or a brilliant film that otherwise lacks a certain amount of importance in regards to social/individual commentary.

Errrmmmmmmmmmmm, hmmm have to..um, DISAGREE. I think i've explained the big difference between a 4 and a 5 star film in at least half of the 120 posts I have been on this forum.....
I don't mean there's no difference between giving a film 4 or 5 stars, of course there is, but someone giving 4 stars to what you think is a 5 star movie (and yes I do remember you going on about 5 star movies and saying there are only 3, or similar), is not the same as disliking a movie which you love, is it? If you give a film 4 stars it doesn't mean you dislike it.

people don't really lose my respect in film for movies that they didn't like - but more of what they do like compared to what they don't

like if someone said david lynch is great but edgar wright sucks

Just like that bit in Taxi Driver...Did you say to him 'but couples go to these movies all the time'?

people don't really lose my respect in film for movies that they didn't like - but more of what they do like compared to what they don't

like if someone said david lynch is great but edgar wright sucks
That doesn't sound like it's trying to get a rise......

Female assassin extraordinaire.
Hang on, Thmilin and Yoda had a thang?
hehehe, pyro, no we didn't but we met through the first iteration of this board (pre-movieforums.com) and we used to talk A LOT. it included discussions on life, love, friendships, work, and movies.

i just cracked a joke about the setup cuz i had the "i've lost all respect for you" reaction to him - that's a totally true story, we just weren't romantical.

heheheh. but he laughed and gave me positive rep, so i feel better that he STILL. HASN'T. SEEN. IT.

(have you?)

The General ... I think I might lose a wee bit of respect for a date that didn't appreciate the genius of Keaton…

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

The People's Republic of Clogher
A German chef, nebbsie? I bet he spent the entire date bragging about the size of his frankfurter....

Aaaaaanyway. I don't tend to lose respect for people who aren't into what I'm into cinematically.

I pity them...

The wife couldn't stand The Searchers but we spent our very first date discussing how great Withnail & I was so it pays to give someone a second chance.

I've been trying to come up with a movie for this thread but didn't think there was one. But then I remembered Repo Man. I wouldn't lose respect but I don't think I would be able to help feeling a little hurt and disappointed if someone I liked hated that movie.

"Nice friends."

"Thanks, I made them myself."

The General ... I think I might lose a wee bit of respect for a date that didn't appreciate the genius of Keaton…
Me too i love that movie, and him

A German chef, nebbsie? I bet he spent the entire date bragging about the size of his frankfurter....
Tatty Darling, this guy had the smallest frankfurter i have ever seen and i have seen a lot professionally, remember, i am a Nurse, not a lady of the night

I could probably come up with a few decent choices for this thread, but with the caveat that you should never judge someone solely by the movies they like...

...I'd take it as a pretty bad sign if they disliked The Princess Bride. It has a particular brand of humor and absurdity that I think someone would have to be able to appreciate if they're going to withstand the type of humor I'd probably subject them to. Aside from that, it's just about the sweetest movie you ever did see, and I find it somewhat difficult to conceive of a good-hearted person who strongly dislikes it.

I don't usually take the phrase "something for everyone" too seriously, but The Princess Bride is worthy of it. It has such a broad appeal, and is satisfying on so many different emotional fronts. It is hysterical, beautiful, touching, clever, and exciting.

Thank goodness my girlfriend adores it.