Least favorite director?

Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi
I'll second this.

Also, I strongly urge people to reconsider their stance on Schumaker. He is a good filmmaker who makes misses, but makes very rewarding hits. The hits being such fare as St. Elmo's Fire, Falling Down, Tigerland, and Phantom of the Opera.

I would say that 2 of those are on my top 100 and all 4 would make my top 250.

In fact, I'll go so far as to say he only screwed up on Batman and Robin.

But, I digress, if people would rather have satan (boll) directing films opposed to someone with real talent, I have to respect that.
I'll give you St. Elmos Fire, but I thought Phantom was one of the worst films I have walked out on in years. Just a horrible film. They totally trashed the music, as well. Why overlay electric guitar and electronic drums over the beatiful Phantom of the Opera music? The score was THE worsat score I have ever heard, and was one of the main reasons we couldn't finish watching. I'll stick to watching this at the theater, with an actual symphony.

Schumacher = The Suck

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
A lot to choose from...

Michael Bay is a gimme. Not a big fan of Stephen Daldry or Nora Ephron.

But there must be loads of fairly anonymous directors of sucky horror cannibal films that are worse than any main stream directors.

I hate Tony Scott's films, I don't like James Cameron (except for the original Terminator)
Michael Bay is definitely one of my least favourite directors, his idea of making a film good is to add lots and lots of explosions.
John Carpenter's movies seem to have got worse and worse.
But overall it's probably George Lucas, the original Star Wars trilogy is very good, but then he released all these Special Editions which they brought out at the cinema and made those horrible sequels with the extremely annoying Anakin character. And now i've heard he is going to be releasing radically altered versions of the original 3 films, with major changes such as removing lines of dialogue and digitally replacing actors. A film like Star Wars does not need to be changed over and over again, the original version was great.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
I don't like James Cameron (except for the original Terminator)
What, not even Aliens?

Originally Posted by Thursday Next
What, not even Aliens?
Well it's okay, but nowhere near as good as Ridley Scott's Alien

District B13
Originally Posted by Sedai
I'll give you St. Elmos Fire, but I thought Phantom was one of the worst films I have walked out on in years. Just a horrible film. They totally trashed the music, as well. Why overlay electric guitar and electronic drums over the beatiful Phantom of the Opera music? The score was THE worsat score I have ever heard, and was one of the main reasons we couldn't finish watching. I'll stick to watching this at the theater, with an actual symphony.

Schumacher = The Suck
You still haven't conjured up a rebuttal to Tigerland, Guerrin, or Falling Down.

Also, Phantom of the Opera was well recieved by people, at least.

Finally, what exactly has he ruined? Has he ruined batman? Apparently not according to your love of begins. Has he ruined Phantom of the Opera? Well, apparently not according to the 5,000 versions that exist and the 5,000 versions that will exist in the next 100 years.

Has he ruined Veronica Guerrin? A perfectly acceptable substitute exists besides his version.

So, what has he ruined? Why does he need to leave cinema?

Uwe Boll, on the other hand, RUINS licenses. He RUINS them. Again, I am finding a very hard time in accepting the plausibility of something with a pulse choosing schumaker over boll for cinema suicide. It simply defies all logic. Please, explain yourself so I can understand clearly.

In the Beginning...
Uwe Boll, on the other hand, RUINS licenses. He RUINS them.
I'm going to agree with you, but I don't think the licenses he's ruined have been all that high profile. He ruins Alone in the Dark. Who cares?

And anyway, if Steven Spielberg decided to re-make House of the Dead (god forbid), I'm pretty sure he could do a better job than Uwe Boll. So, because of that, I'd say Mr. Boll hasn't ruined that license (or any other license any respectable director wanted to re-make).

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Tigerland = The acting saved the movie, not Schumacher

Phantom of the Opera = Should have stayed on the stage. Film adaption doesn't do the play justice.

Phonebooth = Excellent film.

Batman Forever = Good film, with wrong people backing it up.

Batman & Robin = Should never see the light of day.

Veronica Guerin = Could have been so much better, but average.

Falling Down = Great Movie.

A Time To Kill = Strong film.

Lost Boys = Classic.

8MM = Dark and Gritty, very good.

Flawless = Terrible, not even Deniro could save it.

Bad Company = Waste of Time.

The Client = Above Average

Flatliners = Good premise, average presentation.

So, I wouldn't say he is the worst, or a good director....he's a decent one with a few good hits. But looking at his list of films, the bad outweighs the good.

I'm sticking with

Uwe Boll and Hype Williams

Suspect's Reviews

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Finally, what exactly has he ruined? Has he ruined batman? Apparently not according to your love of begins.
So if people like Begins, that means Schumacher did not ruin the original series???? Ummm....He did ruin the batman series, hence begins being made in the first place. Altough he did not ruin it alone, he had help from WB.

Did you not understand that BEGINS is re-starting the BATMAN franchise....Schumacher ruined the old one...this is a new one.

*Waits for ObiWan to trash begins*

I would say Joel Schumacher and the guy that did AvP (his name slipped my mind)

A system of cells interlinked
Sorry, I am sticking with Schumacher, as I thought I would choose a director whose work I have seen a majority of. I have yet to see a BBoll picture, so didn't even consider him. I don't like Schumacher's lame vision, no matter what the film.

EDIT

Actually, wait a minute. I don't need to defend ****. The thread title is least favorite director, and Shumacher is my least favorite director. Anyone elses opinion or input on my least favorite director is irrelevant. This isn't a subject up for debate, as I ultimately decide who my least favorite director is.

It's strictly opinion.

Originally Posted by Lance McCool
I think the majority of Oliver Stone's movies are garbage. And Edward D. Wood's films speak for themselves.
Stone's films can be debated. I enjoy his work, he's only had two bad pictures: Alexander and Wall Street. The majority of his films are four star pictures, the rest are good. He's a talented director. Very talented.

I really don't have a director I hate. I don't like most of Spielberg's work, but that's just my opinion. I'm not saying he's a horrible director.

The Fat of the Mailbox
Has anyone said Mel Gibson yet?

Originally Posted by rubyblood
Has anyone said Mel Gibson yet?
I enjoyed some pf Mel Gibon's films. I thought Braveheart and Passion of the Christ were excellent. For worst director, I would def go with Paul WS Anderson and Uwe Boll, although I have only seen 1 or 2 films from each.

Just a girl who loves movies
Woody Allen ... am never in the mood to understand his movies ...

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by dojo
Woody Allen ... am never in the mood to understand his movies ...
Many years ago I was pretty ambivalent towards Woody's work, Annie Hall aside. It turned out that I'd just not seen that many of his films.

Watch Broadway Danny Rose and hopefully, like me, you'll be converted.

Originally Posted by Tacitus
Watch Broadway Danny Rose and hopefully, like me, you'll be converted.
Thats the one that did it for me Robert is a fan, I wasn't
Now am

George Lucas and Steven spielberg

Paul W.S. Anderson - Not even Ripley and Dutch could kill Aliens and Predators like he did.

Kevin Smith - Two words: Ben Affleck

Quentin Tarantino - "Pulp Fiction" was great. But it get's a little less unique with ever subsequent film he makes.