Quote of the Day

Tools    

"This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness." - Tenzin Gyatso

Originally Posted by firegod
"This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness." - Tenzin Gyatso
I've heard this one before; problem is, kindness is a disposition, not a religion. It feels nice to make niceness into an entire worldview, but it's just not feasible. Saying nothing of nuance, a "philosophy of kindness" doesn't even attempt to speak to personal behavior, despite the fact that inward destruction almost invariably precedes outward destruction. Like most maxims, it's dead-on, but becomes dangerous when you prop it up as the only one you need to follow.

I realize it probably wasn't meant in a totally literal sense, though. Just thought I'd pick a fight.

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by Yoda
I've heard this one before; problem is, kindness is a disposition, not a religion. It feels nice to make niceness into an entire worldview, but it's just not feasible. Saying nothing of nuance, a "philosophy of kindness" doesn't even attempt to speak to personal behavior, despite the fact that inward destruction almost invariably precedes outward destruction. Like most maxims, it's dead-on, but becomes dangerous when you prop it up as the only one you need to follow.

I realize it probably wasn't meant in a totally literal sense, though. Just thought I'd pick a fight.
Here's a girly fight for ya, that I possibly can't win! Religions and the nice/kind people who dig them up out of a holy black hole ditch, beyond their bliss...comes in almost as many flavors as donuts these days.

Got Milk?

Well, if crime fighters fight crime and fire fighters fight fire, what do freedom fighters fight? They never mention that part to us, do they? - George Carlin

"If this being is omnipotent, then every occurrence, including every human action, every human thought, and every human feeling and aspiration is also His work; how is it possible to think of holding men responsible for their deeds and thoughts before such an almighty Being? In giving out punishment and rewards He would to a certain extent be passing judgment on Himself. How can this be combined with the goodness and righteousness ascribed to Him?" - Albert Einstein

The End Has Come
As long as we have an unjust society, like we do now, we will never have a loving society. If you don’t treat people justly, how can you expect them to love you?
-Jane Elliot, speech at Wait Chapel, August 23, 1988

Firegod, you inspired me with your Einstein quote; this is one of my favorites from him:

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity."

- Albert Einstein

Originally Posted by Mary Loquacious
Firegod, you inspired me with your Einstein quote; this is one of my favorites from him:

"Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity."

- Albert Einstein
Mary! Thank the MoFo gods.

Originally Posted by firegod
Mary! Thank the MoFo gods.
They're voodoo gods, you know... Snake venom and a dead rooster were involved in bringing me back to MoFo life...

And it's good to see you, too, brother.

They're voodoo gods, you know... Snake venom and a dead rooster were involved in bringing me back to MoFo life...

And it's good to see you, too, brother.
Can I have your autograph?

Originally Posted by Anonymous Last
Can I have your autograph?
Sure, sweetie. For a small fee, of course.

And when I say "small," I mean "puts-my-kid-through-college"...

Sure, sweetie. For a small fee, of course.

And when I say "small," I mean "puts-my-kid-through-college"...
That shouldn't take long...I threw someone through a pub window once. Having the kid being yours and all...we'll just walk through and get a nice experience and find the back door! Deal?

That shouldn't take long...I threw someone through a pub window once. Having the kid being yours and all...we'll just walk through and get a nice experience and find the back door! Deal?
Well, I'm sure my Social Services case worker would prefer it that way. Let's go with it.

Well, I'm sure my Social Services case worker would prefer it that way. Let's go with it.
You're coming along also, splendid! Looking very forward to this occasion. I'll make sandwiches.

You're coming along also, splendid! Looking very forward to this occasion. I'll make sandwiches.
No tuna, though. It gives me horrid gas.

"Chicken of the sea," indeed...

I don't believe you are a horrid gas sandwich, I think you are a sauce. Something which has dripped down my chin.
-Anonymous Last (Mr. Last)

You just earned my respect Mary...

That’s just my opinion, I hope I don’t have to hate the day I stated it.

I'm about 97% certain the day will never come that you will curse my sudden but inevitable betrayal, Mr. Last.

The End Has Come
The oedipal vision exhibits a distinct patriarchal bias: it reduces politics to an activity of fathers and sons while relegating women to the role of passive objects of male desire."
-José Brunner, 1998

Never, you won't regret it.