"Bad" movies you will defend with your life.

Tools    

I mainline Windex and horse tranquilizer
Even if you're not a fan of the movie, you have to admit this poster is DOOOOOOPE.

But I love the movie, too.

"I've seen Enter the Dragon six times."

Tomato Necromancy - now with Vitamin R!
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...ad.php?t=65140

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Eternals Phewww. I was badly waiting for the movie but what can I say, I am Marvel Fan.

Victim of The Night
Even if you're not a fan of the movie, you have to admit this poster is DOOOOOOPE.

But I love the movie, too.

"I've seen Enter the Dragon six times."

Yeah, there's absolutely nothing wrong with this movie and it has Max von Sydow - and Snake Man! - so...

Yeah, there's absolutely nothing wrong with this movie and it has Max von Sydow - and Snake Man! - so...

George Wendt as a Stephen King clone, Christopher ****** Plummer, and David Patrick Kelly. This is one of my all-time favs.

Victim of The Night
George Wendt as a Stephen King clone, Christopher ****** Plummer, and David Patrick Kelly. This is one of my all-time favs.
Same.

This and A Nightmare on Elmstreet, the deadly dream sub-genre. The Matrix kind of fits here too (Die in the Matrix, die in reality).

Victim of The Night
This and A Nightmare on Elmstreet, the deadly dream sub-genre. The Matrix kind of fits here too (Die in the Matrix, die in reality).
Not like this. Not like this.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Junior (1994)
The Tuxedo (2002)
The Birth of a Nation (1915)

If these count as bad movies though?

The Flintstones. I know the movie has some casting problems. But John Goodman is practically a mirror image of Fred, and the vibe of the movie is a bit like the cartoon.

The Cat in the Hat. I'm sorry, but I really don't understand what people hate about the movie. Is it amazing cinema? No. But it's Seussian in its weirdness, which was all I really asked, and there were some pretty good gags. And we have Alec Baldwin being himself. You ALWAYS pay to see Alec Baldwin playing himself.

Kung Pow: Enter the Fist. Come on. This is one of THE most quotable movies on Earth.
The Village
Batman v. Superman

Victim of The Night
Honestly, this, to me, might be the easiest one to defend.
I think The Village is actually a very good movie the hate for which, particularly by Roger Ebert, simply baffled me. I walked out of it thinking I had seen something really good, absolutely worthy in Shyamalan's early, more successful filmography, with excellent design and acting, good cinematography, and I liked the story even if I didn't find it as strong as some others. And then I find out that, apparently, I am a fool, none of that matters, it is a movie unworthy of anything but outright scorn and even taking into account all of the excellent craft that is evident in the film, something about it (which still eludes me) made it an absolute stinker to any right-thinking movie-watcher.
Silly me.

I think The Village is actually a very good movie the hate for which, particularly by Roger Ebert, simply baffled me. I walked out of it thinking I had seen something really good, absolutely worthy in Shyamalan's early, more successful filmography, with excellent design and acting, good cinematography, and I liked the story even if I didn't find it as strong as some others. And then I find out that, apparently, I am a fool, none of that matters, it is a movie unworthy of anything but outright scorn and even taking into account all of the excellent craft that is evident in the film, something about it (which still eludes me) made it an absolute stinker to any right-thinking movie-watcher.
Silly me.
It’s a shame it hasn’t been released on blu ray yet. Deakins’ cinematography is incredible. I also love Bryce Dallas Howard’s performance and it’s atmosphere.

Silly me.

The quickest way for me to explain why, as a Shyamalan hater, his movie's don't work for me, is that most of them expect me to contend with their human element. Like Spielberg, he expects us to recognize our own humanity in his characters, their families, their reality. But Shyamalan, not even remotely, does not understand how to articulate any of these things. He never offers any proof that he is anything but an alien observing us. He understands people as much as a 'keep hanging in there' cat poster understands the human condition. So when he lifts all of his influences from a Spielberg film, he only thinks to crib the most surface elements of the characters in them. Maybe, if I could engage with his work as camp, or as some kind of demented fever dream, or with at least a sense of humor at what a weirdo he is, I could give his early movies a pass. But from my perspective, only a movie like The Happening gives me this option of watching it from an emotional distance. I feel I might have permission to laugh at it (actually, probably not, but it's so weird and stupid I am taking that right for myself)

I agree with you that The Village probably isn't that much worse than Sixth Sense or Signs. I don't know why it gets excluded from their company by fans of those two much more popular films. In my eyes, they are about the same.

But, also from my eyes, all three are pretty bad movies. Regardless of the technical craft he frequently shows off, I just cringe when I watch them. They make me want to revoke his citizenship to this planet.

Speaking of Shyamalan, I quite like The Happening, even if I wouldn't throw myself in front of a lawnmover to defend it. I think a lot of "bad" movies people tend to cite are junky but basically effective on their own terms. This one has a sense of badness (completely misguided or misdirected lead performances, lack of tonal control) inextricably tied to its strengths (Shyamalan's craft). There's one scene where he's doing a great camera move that's slowly building dread as we hear increasingly distressing details from a phone call, bizarrely undercut by Mark Mark fidgeting wildly across the entire screen.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I wanted to like The Villiage and there is a part of me that does, but I felt like after Shyamalan reveals the big twist, you want more, and you want to see what they are now going to do with this twist. But Shyamalan saved the twist all the way for the ending, instead of maybe making it the middle, because you can have another half of a movie to capitalize on the twist. Unless I am wrong?

Speaking of Shyamalan, I quite like The Happening, even if I wouldn't throw myself in front of a lawnmover to defend it. I think a lot of "bad" movies people tend to cite are junky but basically effective on their own terms. This one has a sense of badness (completely misguided or misdirected lead performances, lack of tonal control) inextricably tied to its strengths (Shyamalan's craft). There's one scene where he's doing a great camera move that's slowly building dread as we hear increasingly distressing details from a phone call, bizarrely undercut by Mark Mark fidgeting wildly across the entire screen.

The Happening was a legitimate consideration for my top 25 list of the oughts.

It was cut quick, but it was definitely there.

Silly me.

I love The Village, I don't care what anybody says.

Victim of The Night
It’s a shame it hasn’t been released on blu ray yet. Deakins’ cinematography is incredible. I also love Bryce Dallas Howard’s performance and it’s atmosphere.