The 27th General Hall of Fame

Tools    

Just pick a new nomination. And don't fuss about the runtime either, we're still in the open door policy time. Oh, and you can always blame the host for not checking the eligibility

I'm not in this but personally I think winners in the specialty HOFs should be eligible in the general HOFs now.
Personally, I agree with this, but I support whatever decision the host makes.

Well, you are all being very gracious.

Hopefully anyone who watched Witness for the Prosecution already isn't feeling too annoyed about it.

I will look for another nomination if that's what Ed agrees to.

also man looks mid 40's here lmao.
It's not the years, honey, it's the mileage.

@Takoma11, I don't see any issue on you picking another one, and maybe an additional week can be added to "compensate" for the slip-up?

Well, you are all being very gracious.

Hopefully anyone who watched Witness for the Prosecution already isn't feeling too annoyed about it.

I will look for another nomination if that's what Ed agrees to.
Zero annoyance here

One Cut of the Dead, 2017

Director Higurashi (Takayuki Hamatsu) is filming a low-budget zombie flick in an abandoned WW2 site when things go very, very wrong. As the actors and crew struggle to get through the filming unscathed, we get the chance to see just how things ended up the way they did.

If that plot summary sounds pretty vague, it's because what everyone says about this movie is true: you really don't want to know all that much going into it. As such, I'll try to keep my remarks about it vague. I'll be writing less than I typically do because of this, but it's not because I enjoyed it less!

To begin with, what I most enjoyed about this film was its sense of humor. I laughed a lot. There was good physical humor, clever editing moments, and just some really fun performances from the actors ("POM!!!").

I also appreciated some narrative suspense that was generated once
WARNING: spoilers below
you get the whole "film within a film" concept. There's a great running double-bluff where you have to wonder if there is another twist coming in the third act. Will it be that there really are zombies? Will it turn out that there's even another meta layer to what is happening?

I don't have too many negatives for this one. I did think that an early plot point was pretty obvious, but the film was also very short, so even if things were a bit telegraphed, it didn't wear out its welcome.

I've been hearing buzz about this one for a while, and I'm glad I finally checked it out. It was a fun film to watch on a snowy Sunday evening.

Jaws (1975)

I wrote a review of Jaws a few years back. I've not read it in a long time so I don't remember exactly what I said. I thought I'd write up my thoughts fresh and then post my old review to see how my opinions changed.

I hadn't seen Jaws in awhile and viewing it now I had a slightly different reaction to it. This time around I really appreciated the on-location setting and the use of real town folks for extras. The setting and extras made the film look authentic. I was equally impressed by the actual filming at sea. There's nothing like the ocean and no studio water tank can make a movie look real like the open sea does. All that adds up to high production values...The shark still look terrifying all these years later, especially in it's first swim by when we see it just under the surface.

My favorite shot was the one I chose to lead off this review. My favorite scene was the bonding scene in the ship's cabin, that's where they swap stories and show their scars as they get drunk. In film making that's the calm before the storm.

In Hawaii I was going to do a shark dive in a shark cage just like Richard Dreyfus does. The wife and I paid in advance, got up at 5 am (never fun on a vacation) and drove across the island to where the boat was to take us to the sharks. Only no one was there as the seas were really rough, not even the captain of the boat. So I almost got to see a shark!

Thanks Phoenix, I enjoyed revisiting this classic.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jaws (1975).png
Views:	116
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	84456  

Just in case anyone is interested this is what I wrote almost 5 years ago.

Jaws (Spielberg, 1975)

A hungry shark feeds on human tidbits as New Englanders on Amity Island get ready for their big summer tourist season.

In 1975 Spielberg became a household name with his exciting thriller featuring a huge shark that scared the bejesus out of movie goers. And it gave us some of the most memorable scenes from a movie, and memorable dialogue too. Anybody remember, "you're gonna need a bigger boat!"

I watched this for the first time in 30 years and was impressed with the care that went into the staging of the scenes and the cinematography.

A good example of that is this famous scene from the beginning of the movie. Not only is the whole shark attack done frighteningly real with the girl being pulled under water only to pop up again screaming. But look at that buoy in the background. She's so close and that buoy gives us hope that she can reach it and climb to safety. It also gives scale and makes the scene look all the more real. The twilight setting with it's dark shadows makes the attack all the more potent.

The entire movie is constructed for maximum effect, that's why the three shark hunters go out on a small rickety old boat. Spielberg is a genius.

And the score? I don't even have to mention how amazing it is and how much the music adds to the tension.

From left to right: Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw, Richard Dreyfuss

I liked all three of the main cast and they're an odd mix, which also creates tension on the cramped quarters of the boat.

Roy Scheider
is out of his element as he hates the water and is an outsider to the small island where he's come to be their local sheriff. Robert Shaw as the hard drinking, half crazed sea captain puts the meaning into colorful! But it's Richard Dreyfuss who's always been my favorite. Even when I saw this first run at the theater as a kid, it was the marine biologist played by Richard Dreyfuss who I could relate to. He's for many people a proxy on the shark hunt.

Oh and almost forgot to say after over 40 years the mechanical shark still looks real!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
@edarsenal

I just realized that Witness for the Prosecution is ineligible as a nomination per the rules, as it won the 1950s HoF

50's Hall Of Fame
Host: Friendly Mushroom

Winner: Witness For The Prosecution (1958 Billy Wilder)
GASP!!! Oh my gosh! You guys I am so sorry! I must have missed it when I skimmed the lists!

Oof, and several people already watched it.

Do you guys want to:

1) Just drop it/me from the HoF "official list" (people can watch it for fun and just nobody puts it in their final rankings). I will still watch and rank everything.

2) I pick a (VERY SHORT RUN TIME) replacement

I will happily do either!
I don't think you should have to drop out, just pick another nom. But up to the host of course.
I see no reason why you shouldn't still be allowed to have a horse in the race. Just pick a replacement and don't worry too much about runtime.
Yes. Yes. And YES.

I'm not in this but personally, I think winners in the specialty HOFs should be eligible in the general HOFs now.
Personally, I agree with this, but I support whatever decision the host makes.
Just pick a new nomination. And don't fuss about the runtime either, we're still in the open door policy time. Oh, and you can always blame the host for not checking the eligibility

That is my snafu for missing it and since I do have it stated in the opening thread: both General and Specialty Winners are excluded, CR's excellent eye is very much correct. Crappers, since I was pretty hyped to see it.
So, if you would please @Takoma11,

A) Send me a new nomination
B) Simply post it here and I'll switch it on the front page.

Sorry about that, everyone.