7 votes
Something else (specify in thread)
46 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Oh boy that sounds fun!

But really I would keep it small

Musical
Comedy
War

I think that's a good trio and the numbers won't be too spread out.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

And the winner is...

Oh! What a Lovely War (1969)
Genres: Comedy, Musical, War

"The working-class Smiths change their initially sunny views on World War I after the three boys of the family witness the harsh reality of trench warfare."

Hm kinda want to watch this now.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064754/

Oh! What a Lovely War is more interesting as an idea than in execution. For me, anyway. But worth seeing.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

And the winner is...

Oh! What a Lovely War (1969)
Genres: Comedy, Musical, War

"The working-class Smiths change their initially sunny views on World War I after the three boys of the family witness the harsh reality of trench warfare."

Hm kinda want to watch this now.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0064754/
I'm pretty sure I once started to watch that but didn't finish. I don't remember many specifics but apparently, it wasn't my cup of tea.

Question: will the poll be one vote per person? Or can we vote for all the choices if we want?
I think it depends on the number of options. If it's just, say, three, I think people should pick one. If it's too many, though, it splits the vote and letting people vote more than once makes it much more likely the choice will be, if not everyone's first option (which is pretty rare anyway), something which is acceptable to most people.

I think it depends on the number of options. If it's just, say, three, I think people should pick one. If it's too many, though, it splits the vote and letting people vote more than once makes it much more likely the choice will be, if not everyone's first option (which is pretty rare anyway), something which is acceptable to most people.
If there were a lot of choices on the poll with multiply voting, would there be ranked voting?

If there were a lot of choices on the poll with multiply voting, would there be ranked voting?
The poll option here has no facility for that, so it'd have to be done outside of that system.

I'm not sure if that's worth the potential effort (or even confusion, given that people tend to argue and/or require clarification even on slight differences from "one vote each") relative to the added benefit.

Noir
Comedy
War
Musical
Let's say these are the options for now, and wait a couple of days at least to see if anyone feels strongly about adding more.

Amusingly, I was thinking three options is fine for "one vote each," and five or more should be "vote for all you'd be okay with," so naturally we'll settle on four.

The poll option here has no facility for that, so it'd have to be done outside of that system.

I'm not sure if that's worth the potential effort (or even confusion, given that people tend to argue and/or require clarification even on slight differences from "one vote each") relative to the added benefit.
That makes sense to me and yeah I could see ranked voting would make things harder all around.

Let the night air cool you off
So... and this would eventually be brought up if Noir wins, so I'll ask it now to help me determine what I'd vote for... when we say noir, are we talking only the Noirs that are in the widely accepted "Film Noir" era or are we including Neo-Noirs too? Am I getting ahead of myself for asking this? Is this going to lead to a fight?

The trick is not minding
So... and this would eventually be brought up if Noir wins, so I'll ask it now to help me determine what I'd vote for... when we say noir, are we talking only the Noirs that are in the widely accepted "Film Noir" era or are we including Neo-Noirs too? Am I getting ahead of myself for asking this? Is this going to lead to a fight?
I’d definitely say noir and Neo noir. Heck, even tech noir.

Noir is noir, no matter the flavor in my book

Noir could lead to the most trouble, but also would be the most fun for me. I would definitely try and cram for that one.

Personally, I believe the easiest is to use the genre tags for a Noir Countdown that includes ALL movies tagged noir.

That way the host isn't being drove crazy by questions like: is this noir? is that noir? or what is noir? Because there's a lot of ways to answer those questions. Using genre tags aren't perfect, but less hurt feelings I think and easier for the host.

Of course that decision would be up to the countdown host, unless Yoda had some input or thought about it.

Personally, I believe the easiest is to use the genre tags for a Noir Countdown that includes ALL movies tagged noir.
Tagged where? IMDb has a Film-Noir genre but it only seems to use that for the old films. None of the Neo-Noirs I checked had that tag.