The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I haven't seen Oldboy, but it doesn't sound like my type of movie. It's probably too violent for my taste.

O Brother, Where Art Thou? was one of the first few movies that I watched for this countdown. It was recommended by a friend because I'm generally hit or miss with Coen Brothers movies, so he suggested this one. The movie was okay, but I enjoyed the soundtrack much more than the movie itself.

Good morning, peeps! I might be out of the house all day, so I might do an early reveal today. Probably in an hour, after I feed my two gremlins.

Good morning, peeps! I might be out of the house all day, so I might do an early reveal today. Probably in an hour, after I feed my two gremlins.
*checks time
Carry on!

249 points, 19 lists
Shaun of the Dead
Director

Edgar Wright, 2004

Starring

Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Kate Ashfield, Lucy Davis

267 points, 19 lists
The Departed
Director

Martin Scorsese, 2006

Starring

Jack Nicholson, Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Mark Wahlberg

From the hint sounds like Shaun of the Dead made it. "You've got red on you."
This and No Country for Old Men.
Zodiac and Shaun of the Dead
Shaun of the Dead and Inglorious Basterds?
Split the loot!

Hint breakdown...

Hint, hint...

WARNING: spoilers below

Take your car ("Take car...")
Remember to lay low (laying low, don't get caught)
Go to your mother's ("Go to Mum's...")
Kill, and go with the flow ("Kill Phil...", but also reference to killing zombies)

Pick up your girlfriend ("grab Liz...")
Can you perform? (vague reference to Matt Damon's character "impotence")
Go and drink some ("go to the Winchester, have a nice cold pint...")
And wait to go home ("...and wait for all of this to blow over", but also reference to completing the undercover mission)

Watch for them scurries (scurries... rats)
They'll get you in trouble (self-explanatory)
Kill or be killed (applies to both films and the survival of its characters)
I'll have a double. (another reference to having a drink)

Shaun Of The Dead is my favourite of the Cornetto trilogy but it's been a long time since I've seen it so it was was never really in consideration for my ballot. I did have The Departed on there though. A little surprised both aren't a little higher.

Seen: 54/82 (Own: 36/82)

Faildictions (millennial edition v1.01):
26. Superbad (2007)
25. Memento (2000)
24. Road To Perdition (2002)
23. The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers (2002)
22. Shrek (2001)
21. Requiem For A Dream (2000) [26]
20. Oldboy (2003) [22]
19. Inglourious Basterds (2009)
18. Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind (2004)
17. City Of God (2002) [25]
16. In The Mood For Love (2000)
15. O Brother Where Art Thou? (2000) [21]
14. Children Of Men (2006)
13. Amélie (2001)
12. Zodiac (2007)
11. WALL·E (2008)
10. The Departed (2006) [19]
9. The Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring (2001)
8. Shaun Of The Dead (2004) [20]
7. Mulholland Drive (2001)
6. Pan's Labyrinth (2006)
5. There Will Be Blood (2007)
4. The Dark Knight (2008)
3. Spirited Away (2001)
2. The Lord Of The Rings: The Return Of The King (2003)
1. No Country For Old Men (2007)

Nearly halfway there already - a round dozen down, fourteen to go...

Seen both, voted for none...

Shaun of the Dead is a lot of fun. I've seen it several times. It's the kind of film that if it's on TV, I leave it on. I probably considered it early, but didn't vote for it in the end.

The Departed is also pretty solid. Probably on my Scorsese Top 5, which considering how I feel about Marty, doesn't mean much, but well... I like it, though. Saw it in theaters and what happens towards the end made everybody jump on their seats. Still, didn't make it on my ballot.

Where? What?...

Seen: 65/82

My ballot:  

The comedy and satire in Shaun of the Dead is right up my alley. The earlier scenes, where Shaun is unaware the zombie apocalypse has happened are absolutely fantastic. Hot Fuzz might be more fun, especially for action fans, but Shaun has a special place in my heart, along with more relevant (if on the nose) social commentary. It was my #9.

I know people say great things about The Departed, but I've never bothered to watch it. I have however seen the Chinese film it's based on, and my dislike of both Leonardo DiCaprio and Martin Scorsese would likely prevent it from being as enjoyable as Infernal Affairs was anyway.

Seen: 50/82

My List:
05. The Lives of Others (2006) - #41
06. Millennium Actress (2001) - DNP
08. Mother (2009) - #96
09. Shaun of the Dead (2004) - #20
10. Iron Man (2008) - #83
11. Paprika (2006) - #64
12. Memories of Murder (2003) - #27
16. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - #76
17. Hot Fuzz (2007) - #30
20. Moon (2009) - #48
25. Bon Cop, Bad Cop (2006) - 1-pointer

Shaun of the dead - funny film, but not in contention for my ballot.

The Departed - one of the most overrated films of al time. One of Scorsese's weakest. The original is far, far better with much more depth of characters and better writing. The Departed is just an average remake. Not really got a clue how it is rated so highly.

The Departed - one of the most overrated films of al time. One of Scorsese's weakest. The original is far, far better with much more depth of characters and better writing. The Departed is just an average remake. Not really got a clue how it is rated so highly.
Wait...WHAT! This is a remake? Must seek out...

Wait...WHAT! This is a remake? Must seek out...
Yes, and the remake was eligible for this countdown I think.

It's called 'Infernal affairs' and is excellent. Scorsese has done a few remakes now : Silence, Cape Fear, The Departed and I don't think any of them match up to the originals.

I think The Departed does. I saw Infernal Affairs and it was...messy. One could say it was at a disadvantage since I saw it second (fair), but it was at an advantage in the sense that I already knew the rough sketch of the story, so for me to find it confusing anyway seems particularly bad. It's just made with a lot less style, too. Obviously it gets points for the concept itself, but it's always tough to gauge how much to value originality versus execution when they both exist at the same time once you've found them.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
The Departed certainly belonged on my list but I left it off because, well, I knew it would be on the list and fare well. I did this with about 2 other films, one of the others is Ratatouille and the other one is still to show. It's a real good Scorsese for me.

Reply to Topic