The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I don’t really like Donnie Darko but Ratatouille made my list. That’s 2 out of 3 so far for Pixars on my list.

Pixar released 7 films during the 2000s. 5 of them have already placed in the countdown. Will Cars and Wall-E make it to put the studio at 100%?

Pixar released 7 films during the 2000s. 5 of them have already placed in the countdown. Will Cars and Wall-E make it to put the studio at 100%?
No way Cars makes it. It's much maligned around here. I love it but I'm in the minority and even I didn't vote for it. (Had similar issue as you did with fatigue when my little nephew last visited and spent much of his waking moments watching and rewatching all of the Cars movies, so I don't love it as much as I used to.)

Wall-E is a lock.

Can I have $2.35 against please. Apologies for the odd amount but that's all the US change I could find down the sofa

I have seen both movies once, and quite liked them. Haven’t gone back to either of them at this point. They didn’t make my list.

Requiem for a Dream and City of God are two more good films that I did not vote for. I'm not a big fan of Donnie Darko--it felt like a convoluted shaggy dog (or shaggy rabbit) story. Ratatouille was my #14--perhaps the richest and best realized film of Pixar's output of the decade (and obviuosly it was a good decade for them).

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. Despite seeming to be of the right age and temperament to appreciate it when it first came to my attention back in the mid-'00s, I have never gotten into Donnie Darko. I figured that if there was an '80s-set film about a disaffected teenager trying to navigate not only the various peers and adults he constantly found himself at odds with but also a cosmically absurd science-fiction scenario...well, I already had Repo Man to fill that gap. I even tried revisiting it and Southland Tales during the early days of quarantine and I honestly preferred the latter. As for Ratatouille, I have a similarly contentious opinion of it. I just remember being in such a foul mood when I went to see it in theatres that I was inclined to put it on a "worst 100" list, and while I definitely don't think it deserves that level of derision nowadays, I know that I'm probably never going to act on the occasional urge I get to revisit it.

Didn't post yesterday because I don't remember anything about Requiem for a Dream, and I've never seen City of God.

Donnie Darko is a film that I legitimately forgot existed when I was making my list despite previously watching it a couple times (as high school friends really liked it), making a short parody video of it years ago, and thinking about it whenever I hear that "Mad World" song haha. I doubt it would've made my list, but my #24 was kind of random so in a theoretical situation where I remembered it but still forgot about The Descent, it may have been in that #24 spot.

I have not seen Ratatouille. Whenever Miss Vicky talks about it, I consider it briefly, but it'll probably need to be nominated in a HoF or something for me to actually get around to it.

Seen: 47/78

My List:
05. The Lives of Others (2006) - #41
06. Millennium Actress (2001) - DNP
08. Mother (2009) - #96
10. Iron Man (2008) - #83
11. Paprika (2006) - #64
12. Memories of Murder (2003) - #27
16. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (2005) - #76
17. Hot Fuzz (2007) - #30
20. Moon (2009) - #48
25. Bon Cop, Bad Cop (2006) - 1-pointer

Have seen so far: 25 - Donnie Darko - Weird movie, didn't care for it really
Have not seen so far: 57

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Donnie Darko is still good and super crazy. No way I considered it for this list.

Ratatouille is my #5.

Basically, I think the film's message is along the lines that you may find your better half (Remy is obviously Linguini's better half) in the strangest places. I love and laugh out loud, repeatedly, at the way that Remy controls Linguini by pulling his hair. It's physical slapstick as good as it gets and just about as good as anything the great silent clowns ever did. Another message is that humans and non-humans can relate equally as long as they respect each other, although I'm not sure how much Remy actually respects Linguini up front, after all there's not much there.

In general, I just love the storytelling ability of Brad Bird. He may have used the TV more effectively in The Incredibles and The Iron Giant, but it goes without saying that Bird likes to communicate info through TVs, especially primitive ones. His use of the floating TV here is a classic movie motif - it's Remy's mind remembering what he's already seen. The thing which appeals to me about Ratatouille is that there is so much going on that I cannot complain about most of it because I'm too busy enjoying it. Yes, Act III is the best. Does everyone notice that Ego looks like a character out of a Tim Burton flick, that his typewriter has a skull on it and that his "gothic room" is in the shape of a coffin? You can see that all in the scene where Ego learns that Gusteau's is now popular again.

As far as the romance is concerned, maybe it is underdeveloped, but it's certainly believable. Linguini seems to have almost no social skills, but you don't need social skills to be attracted to women in the workplace. It's just normal. Linguini has very little past and very little depth (except for what Remy gives him), so it's not surprising that he doesn't especially grow after he learns he's the offspring of Gusteau. However, he does use what he can do quite well in Act III. Linguini uses his skating prowess to serve everyone quite handsomely when Ego shows up. He also seems less-tongue-tied than normal. The last 25 minutes are the best. However, among my earlier, fave lines are "Let's toast to your non-idiocy!" and " I don't LIKE food. I LOVE it. If I don't love it, I don't SWALLOW".

My List

1. The Incredibles
5. Ratatouille
7. Downfall
8. Up
10. The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
11. Everything Will Be OK
19. The Pianist
21. Pride & Prejudice

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I like both, but neither made my list.

Richard Kelly so far I think has been a one trick pony.

Suspect's Reviews

A system of cells interlinked
I like both, but neither made my list.

Richard Kelly so far I think has been a one trick pony.
I did like Southland Tales, as well, but would agree that he doesn't have much of quality in his body of work. I do find both Donnie Darko and Southland Tales to be incredibly entertaining, I will say that.

Seen: 58/78

I've seen 30 animated movies from the 00's and Ratatouille would definitely make my top 10 animated, love it.

Donnie Darko besides being a great film, it totally has that 80's vibe I love, my #4.

Ballot: 12/25

I did like Southland Tales, as well, but would agree that he doesn't have much of quality in his body of work. I do find both Donnie Darko and Southland Tales to be incredibly entertaining, I will say that.
I don't think I've ever seen Southland Tales, but he does seem to be stuck in a bit of a rut since he hasn't made anything in the last decade.

Awards

Now to the awards received by Donnie Darko...

• Amsterdam Fantastic Film Festival Silver Scream Award
  • Chlotrudis Award for Best Actor (Jake Gyllenhaal) and Best Screenplay (Richard Kelly)
  • Gérardmer Film Festival Premiere Award
  • Sweden Fantastic Film Festival Audience Award

As for Ratatouille, it won...

• Academy Award for Best Animated Feature Film
  • BAFTA Award for Best Animated Film
  • Saturn Award for Best Animated Film and Best Writing (Brad Bird)
  • AFI Award for Movie of the Year
  • Golden Globes Award for Best Animated Film
  • Grammy Award for Best Score Soundtrack (Michael Giacchino)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Requiem for a Dream made my list at #19. Horrible, brilliant film. If the ballot had had another ten films on, City of God would have made it but it just missed out. I haven't seen either film in a long long time, but while I remember being impressed with City of God, I have forgotten a lot of the details, whereas there are scenes and images from Requiem that have stayed with me. The music is great too.

I cut Donnie Darko from my list very late on. I am starting to doubt my commitment to sparkle motion. I really, really should have had it on there.

I'm kind of surprised that Ratatouille made it this far - ahead of Up and The Incredibles. I can't say it was a film that made much of an impression on me, and I didn't find the concept of a rat in a kitchen all that cute.

Trivia

Donnie Darko

Did you know that...
  • director and screenwriter Richard Kelly had trouble pitching the complex story to different producers? During 1999, he met with Francis Ford Coppola, Ben Stiller, William Horberg, and Betty Thomas. During the meeting with Coppola, Kelly recalls the director sliding the binder with the script down the table back to him and pointing at the line that said "The kids have to figure it all out these days, because the parents, they don't have a clue" and saying dramatically "That's what your whole movie's about right there."
  • Vince Vaughn, Patrick Fugit, Lucas Black, and Mark Wahlberg were all considered for the role of Donnie? Wahlberg even insisted in playing the character with a lisp.
  • in the original script, Donnie's sexual fantasies were about Alyssa Milano, but they had to change them to Christina Applegate for legal reasons?

Donnie Darko was not on my list. A very interesting and different film but it’s never truly been for me… seen it twice I think

Ratatouille, however, was my #10.

It’s late so don’t feel like writing too much. It’s Pixar operating at a very high level. Once again being super creative with their ideas and super confident that in their execution.

Trivia

Ratatouille

Did you know that...
  • the concept of the film, from original design, sets, characters, and core storyline, were developed by Jan Pinkava (director of the Oscar-winning animated short Geri's Game)? However, by 2005, he was displaced by Brad Bird. Although Pinkava is credited, this is something that he rarely speaks of.
  • Pixar hired rat expert Debbie Ducommun to offer insight on rat habits and traits? Along with that, the studio installed a vivarium with pet rats in a hallway so animators could study the movement of the animals' fur, noses, ears, paws, and tails as they ran.
  • the version of the titular dish was designed by renowned chef Thomas Keller, and is known as "confit byaldi"?

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
  • I saw Ratatouille couple of years ago. Yes, it is a crafty animated production but after all it is actually an average kid movie.

---
  • In those years, we've been in the theatre for most of the new releases but I have no memories about Donnie Darko.