The MoFo Top 100 of the 2000s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

What's that got to do with how good a film is? Christ some of the Divas and a@@holes involved in the film industry throughout the years would leave barely any films left for a list if we had that as a criteria.
I watched four other Von Trier films and would rate them all higher than Dancer. Just stated that a Bjork didn’t enhance the experience. Just my opinion…

Have seen so far: 18 - Sin City - Not a big fan of the black and white stuff but the movie wasn't that bad though
Have not seen so far: 40

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
• #47 Sin City, saw it back then in the theater and got the DVD later as supplement to some magazine. Recalled some parts a year ago accidentally catching it on some TV channel.
I moderately support this movie but... its existence is absolute aim in itself, that's why far from my top 25 of the decade, maybe it could be my #65 or something...

• Never heard #48 Moon.

Top 100 seen 28/54.
--
My list:
4. Snatch [#71.]
9. Amores perros [#81.]
10. The Wrestler [#54.]
14. The Man Who Wasn't There [#84.]

--
(seen one pointers 3/38)

Not on my ballot Top 100 movies I'd support:  

Dancer in the Dark is a superb film, not my only Von Trier on my list but the only one that will make the top 100. My thoughts from forever ago

Dancer In The Dark, Lars Von Trier, 2000

Dancer In The Dark, is Lars Von Triers most accomplished work. It follows Selma a near blind immigrant who doesn't live on luxuries. Selma in theory is a great human being, she has a strong faith in humanity, trust worthy, and a joyful person. These just aren't the skills needed to survive though, because with these qualities she's naive, lives in a dream, and has no sense of priorities. This makes it a difficult watch, she gets the audience frustrated with her. For example dreaming that a court room turns into a musical when being tried for murder. She's to imaginative and has no idea how reality works, keeping a secret for a now dead man who betrayed is something no one would do. This is what made the film so devastating.

Everything came back during the trial scene, everything that was done and said had a meaning. Some scenes of dialouge might seem pointless, but it all did come back. I've never seen every single scene incorporated to have an impact. At 140 plus minutes, there was nothing that was worthless to the story. The musical scenes were all dreams, and enjoyable since they were well put together and spread out. Bjorks did not make my ears bleed, and she did give an unfeigned performance.

Von Trier created an absolutely brilliant picture, the best film of 2000. It felt like absolute reality, with a cheesy but fitting score and great camera angles. Like the scene where the camera was half in a lake and half above viewing a distant Selma, was one of the best shots I've ever beheld. All around a brilliant film and I certainly imagine myself watching it again.

Arthouse Rating:
+
I liked Moon quite a bit if I recall, hated Sin City

My List
11. Caché (2005)
16. Dancer in the Dark (2000)
17. A Serious Man (2009)
21. Battle Royale (2000)
25. Bellamy (2009. (1 pointer)

I don't remember Moon being my kind of sci-fi. It wasn't bad, but it would probably have worked better as a short film or an episode of Outer Limits or something. Despite sounding like a broken record, Sin City is a film I was supposed to rewatch. I remember liking it quite a bit, it was on my long list of names I wrote down for this ballot but eventually, it got cut and the rewatch never happened.

Seen: 28/54

OOOOOH! I didn't think Sin City would actually make it! I love that movie to death. It knows it's too masculine for its own good, and that's what makes it better. Also, it's the only Rodriguez movie I'd give five stars, even though I'm a fan of his work. This was my number #3. I knew I'd add some major points to it, but I never expected top 50 in the event it actually made it.

Sent-In Ballot:

#3. Sin City (47)
#7. Yi Yi (49)
#13. Million Dollar Baby (57)
#15. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (53)
#20. Iron Man (83)
#22. Pirates of the Caribbean (63)

Post-Ballot:

#3. Sin City (47)
#7. Yi Yi (49)
#12. Snatch (71)
#14. Million Dollar Baby (57)
#16. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (53)
#18. Slumdog Millionaire (not placed but it made my new 25)
#22. Iron Man (83)
#23. Fantastic Mr. Fox (70)
#25. Pirates of the Caribbean (63)

Seen 30/54

Happy New Year Mofo Countdowners! Dang, I'm falling behind again. I'll keep it short with what made my list...

3. Yi Yi (2000)
4. Werckmeister Harmonies (2000)
6. Caché (2005)
9. The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (2005)
22. The Aviator (2004)
25. Atanarjuat: The Fast Runner (2001)

I had always held Yi Yi in well regard but leaned more to other movies by Edward Yang. I rewatched Yi Yi very recently and I don't know what it was: my state of mind at the time? on a rewatch I was able to notice and engage more? it's been a long time, have I changed? has the world changed? or is it all of that and more? Likely that last one there. That said, I rank it pretty high now whether it's in the context of Yang's films, foreign films, 2000s films, my personal all-time favourite films. It's wonderful and I think a lesson here is that sometimes it can be very rewarding to rewatch certain movies.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

• Never heard #48 Moon.
Lemme help you with that. Directed by the son of David Bowie. Starring David Bowie. Enough said.

I admit I haven't seen it either, but that's enough to put it on a to-do list.

Watching Monsters Inc. with my nieve and nephew right now, so I might put this on my post-ballot.

Two movies that are well made but was never in consideration for my list. None of them really does much to me. I guess I like Sin City the most because it’s so visually inventive and interesting with its noir and comic book cross over craziness. I actually rate it pretty high but I don’t truly love it…

As for Moon, the plot just annoyed me. I felt like I had watched hundred of movies with a similar plot. The twist was never a twist, the sci-fi elements not new and the story just didn’t really grab me. A lot of serviceable stuff inside a movie that’s technically well put together and with great acting from Rockwell. But impressive on a 5 mil budget. And I will always watch and find interest in indie productions like this. I just wish it grabbed me more.

Sam Rockwell fan that I am, I still haven't seen Moon and I will catch up to it. I'd pretty much watch that guy recite the lyrics to Baby Shark, he's so invested in what he does. That said, not seen, not on the list.

Sin City is a movie that I love. I'm a huge Frank Miller fan from way back when he was an artist/writer on the Daredevil comic. He was already an icon in the comic biz when he started his Sin City series and I love noir in the first place, so his take on it was just gangbusters for me, as was the film. One of my favorite Mickey Rourke roles in this, along with Clive Owen. But then the whole cast is great. And the way it looks is made that way because it looks just like the comic, so they were following the comic fairly slavishly. Having said that, it was one of my last cuts despite my love for it.

Status quo with
#5. Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl 63
#8. Unbreakable 62
#10. Million Dollar Baby 57
#22. Fantastic Mr. Fox 70
#20. Iron Man 83
#23. The Descent 80
#25. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang 76

I forgot the opening line.
48. Moon : This is another one I gave serious thought to putting on my list, I remember it being in play quite late in the game but I just couldn't find a place for it. Being a big David Bowie fan from way back, when I heard Duncan Jones had made a film it immediately caught my attention. I was overjoyed to find that he'd not only made a film, but a damn fine one which was getting recognition and great reviews. Moon is one of those lonely sci-fi films dealing with isolation, paranoia and loss of identity with Sam Rockwell's Sam Bell discovering a terrifying secret about the mining base he works on alone on the moon. It's a serious and thought-provoking work, and to say anything more would be giving away it's big surprise. You'll be contemplating what death really means, and what getting to know yourself would really be like - and pondering if the things you know about the world around you are really true. Jones wrote and directed a sequel in 2018 which I haven't seen. This would make my top 50 for sure, and it's a well-deserving top 50 entrant for this countdown.

47. Sin City : I don't mind Sin City, even though I'm not a huge fan of these graphic novel adaptations (including Watchmen and V for Vendetta.) I end up liking them, but I've never held one close to my heart. I don't know if maybe, had I never found out one had been adapted from that particular source, I'd feel differently - or if they just have a certain style that keeps me at arm's length. The darkness and violence is tempered by a stylized depiction of everything that is far removed from our day-to-day reality. I can never really immerse myself in it. That said, that sense of style is fetching, unique and interesting. The colour-drained visuals are something out of this world. Characters are larger than life in an extreme way and the tales in Sin City are similarly monstrous and incredible. The acting talent on display in the ensemble cast is impressive. I respect all of that - a lot. It's a film that's in my collection, and one I've seen a couple of times, but there was no chance it was going to make my list.

Seen 43/54

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Critics

Critics thoughts on #48, Moon...

It currently has a 90% Certified Fresh Tomatometer score among critics, and a 7.8/10 score on IMDb (with 349,000 votes).

Roger Ebert gave it ★★★½ and said:
"Moon is a superior example of that threatened genre, hard science-fiction, which is often about the interface between humans and alien intelligence of one kind of or other, including digital... The movie is really all about ideas. It only seems to be about emotions. How real are our emotions, anyway? How real are we?"
While Jake Wilson, of The Age, gave it 2/5 and said:
"By halfway the film starts to feel like a mere exercise, one more effort to get maximum value from limited resources. Too much machinery, not enough dread."
As for our MoFo reviewers, @The Rodent said:
"All in all, a psychological and philosophical movie laced with some brilliantly funny humour, emotion, mystery and some very real tragedy and heartbreak. Sam Rockwell makes this film believable though, by far some of the best acting I've ever seen. I'm finding it almost impossible to find a fault with the film to be totally honest. Even some of the highest rated films in my reviews have a few faults... Highly, highly recommended."
On the other hand, @Yoda said:
"Rockwell is the star of the film, and not just because he's pretty much the only actor in it. His uneven speech and tiny mannerisms lend authenticity to his everyman portrayal, and he exhibits a shrewd restraint even as his character discovers things too painful to contemplate."

Critics

Critics thoughts on #47, Sin City...

It currently has a 77% Certified Fresh Tomatometer score among critics, and a 8.0/10 score on IMDb (with 754,000 votes).

Roger Ebert gave it ★★★★ and said:
"This isn't an adaptation of a comic book, it's like a comic book brought to life and pumped with steroids. It contains characters who occupy stories, but to describe the characters and summarize the stories would be like replacing the weather with a weather map."
While Tony Medley said:
"A dark, depressing, dismal descent into graphic violence without pain masquerading as comic-book stylistic filmmaking. Hard to believe anybody could find this entertaining."
As for our MoFo reviewers, @John McClane said:
"It’s hard for one to describe Sin City and its sinning inhabitants. One can only hope to give a film such as this enough credit in a review. To amount to the level as such as it in words can only be so difficult. It’s astonishingly hard to amount to the film’s greatness in sentences or paragraphs. Hopefully these words can give Sin City the proper treatment of glory it deserves; damn, sin is good."
On the other hand, @meatwadsprite said:
"The thing that jumps out most in this movie is the look. It's primarily in black and white with a few parts of color. The movie is filled to the brim with great CGI that allows the characters to jump down flights of stairs and slice/shoot people up with ease. There isn't a part of the whole thing where you would get bored of the style used here."

Awards

Now to the awards received by Moon...

• BAFTA Award for Outstanding Debut by a Director (Duncan Jones)
  • Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation
  • British Independent Film Award for Best British Film
  • British Independent Film Douglas Hickox Award (Jones)
  • Seattle International Film Festival Golden Space Needle Award for Best Actor (Sam Rockwell)

Among many, many others.

As for Sin City, it won...

• Saturn Award for Best Action/Adventure/Thriller Film
  • Saturn Award for Best Supporting Actor (Mickey Rourke)
  • Cannes Film Festival Technical Grand Prize (Robert Rodriguez)
  • Golden Schmoes Award for Best Director (Rodriguez and Frank Miller), Trippiest Movie, Coolest Character, etc.

Trivia

Moon

Did you know that...
  • the film was specifically written with Sam Rockwell in mind? When he almost turned it down, Paddy Considine was considered as a second choice.
  • to save production costs, director Duncan Jones re-used several set pieces from an abandoned movie based on the BBC TV sci-fi comedy Red Dwarf?
  • Kevin Spacey agreed to voice GERTY only after the film was finished and if he liked it? When he saw the final product and loved it, he recorded his lines in half a day.

[quote=Thief;2268048]Trivia

Sin City

Did you know that...
  • Mickey Rourke and Elijah Wood never met until after the film was finished?
  • despite appearing in all three main stories, Brittany Murphy filmed all her scenes in one day?
  • Robert Rodriguez originally had Johnny Depp in mind for the role of Jackie Boy? After seeing Benicio del Toro at an Oscars ceremony, he knew he wanted him for the role and sent him the comic book.

Forgot to mention that Moon was in 12 ballots, which is the highest amount of ballots any film has appeared so far. Really popular film among the MoFo crowd.

Forgot to mention that Moon was in 12 ballots, which is the highest amount of ballots any film has appeared so far. Really popular film among the MoFo crowd.
That makes me very happy. While pretty much everyone I know who has seen it has quite liked it or even loved it, it's very understated and I didn't know if many people would even remember it.