20 votes
Point Break
31.03%
9 votes
Speed
29 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Point Break is a "good bad movie."

Speed is a competent 90's actioner.

I would say Point Break is a "good bad movie" and Speed is a highly forgettable, cheesy bad 90' action movie.

I mean sure, Point Break is empty entertainment and certainly has its cringy moments, but at least it's somewhat entertaining if you're in the right silly mood but I fail to grasp how anyone who watched Speed back then would ever want to rewatch it today.

Watching Keanu Reeves desperately trying to be macho without getting anything else making up for having to live through that is not my idea of a good time.

I would say Point Break is a "good bad movie" and Speed is a highly forgettable, cheesy bad 90' action movie.

I mean sure, Point Break is empty entertainment and certainly has its cringy moments, but at least it's somewhat entertaining if you're in the right silly mood but I fail to grasp how anyone who watched Speed back then would ever want to rewatch it today.

Watching Keanu Reeves desperately trying to be macho without getting anything else making up for having to live through that is not my idea of a good time.
I can't remember the last time I watched Speed and no I don't really want to rewatch it today.

I do recall that when I watched the film as a movie goer in an actual theater I was entertained. It did everything for me that I wanted an action film to do. The audience was entertained. People who watched it with me were entertained. It was fun at the time. It was a time of cheesy movies and this didn't feel anymore cheesy than say, Independence Day or Species.

If I hopped out of a time machine in 1994 and 1994 me asked if I would enjoy watching Speed, I'd say "Sure, check it out."

And it was the firm contention of 1994 me that Bill and Ted was his best role and that he was wooden in everything else. Indeed, he damaged the quality of Dracula and Much Ado About Nothing with his inability to read lines. In short, I was not (and am not) a Keanu fan (although he has appeared in good projects and appears to be a cool guy IRL). 1990s-era me still liked this film. I stand by Speed as a work ephemeral quality. It is not a timeless classic, but what proved to be disposable entertainment (which is what studios were trying churn out, so mission accomplished).

It was a time of cheesy movies and this didn't feel anymore cheesy than say, Independence Day or Species.
Agreed. I felt this way about Fifth Element and Demolition Man. Silly, light hearted action entertainment where I didn't find the obvious commercial aim bothersome. I haven't seen Species, but I saw Independence Day and thought it was pretty horrible.

It is not a timeless classic, but what proved to be disposable entertainment (which is what studios were trying churn out, so mission accomplished).
Yeah they obviously didn't aim for anything other than disposable entertainment, to the point that nobody should feel mislead if the went to the movies to see it.

In case you couldn't tell already I was kind of an arrogant, snobby knowitall in my youth. Meaning more so than today