The MoFo Top 100 of the Forties: The Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I had White Heat on my working list, but like so many other great films, I didn't have the room for it. Cagney is always a good watch and the premise of the film is original.

I've seen Gaslight, but don't remember it well. Glad to see both movies have fans, there two really good films.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Sergeant York
Cat People
Meet Me in St. Louis
Leave Her to Heaven
The Devil and Daniel Webster
Mildred Pierce
The Lady from Shanghai
The Little Foxes
White Heat
Gaslight
I've seen all of these movies except Cat People, and they're all very good movies, but sadly none of them made my list.

Most of them were considered for my list, but the only ones that really came very close to making it, but were cut in or near the last round of cuts were Leave Her to Heaven and Gaslight.

BTW, if anyone wants to see I Walk With a Zombie (#51 on this countdown), it's scheduled to air on TCM this Wednesday (October 11th) at 12:30 AM. (That's basically late tonight, just after Midnight.)

Two films from my list in one set! White Heat was my #17, and I thought it might place a little higher on the main list because it's a relatively well-known film; meanwhile, Gaslight was my #22, and one of the films on my list I was more dubious about. Just #18 and #23 I'm slightly worried about at this point; the rest will definitely make it.

Also, that is a surprisingly large jump in points between #42 and #41.

My list so far:
8. Meshes of the Afternoon (#69)
14. Stray Dog (#64)
17. White Heat (#42)
19. Cat People (#49)
22. Gaslight (#41)
24. Gilda (#72)

I had the great psychological thriller Gaslight at #22.

My List:

12. Stray Dog (#64)
17. Drunken Angel (#54)
19. Sullivan’s Travels (#68)
22. Gaslight (#41)
25. Five Graves to Cairo (1-pointer)

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I have seen White Heat but didn't enjoy it that much. I have also seen Gaslight - at least I think it was that version anyway. And although I liked the version I saw, it was so long ago that I couldn't remember with confidence which it was. I intended to watch both versions (again) before the list submission date but ran out of time.

Gaslight is the fifth from my list to show up, I had it at number nine. Or was it not there at all? I must have dreamed I put it there. Or did I? Are you suggesting that this is a knife I hold in my hand?

8. Stray Dog (#64)
9. Gaslight (#41)
14. Odd Man Out (#55)
20. Rome, Open City (#74)
25. Black Narcissus (#79)

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

59. The Pride of the Yankees: I'm a huge baseball fan which is also interested in the history of the sport, but even so didn't really like that film.

58. My Darling Clementine: Excellent western lead by a great performance by Fonda, it might have made my list if it was a top 35 or 40.

56. Red River: That's my #21, one of my favorite western. I love the relationship between Wayne and Clift and how it culminates toward the end. I don't know why, but this film evokes freedom to me, the old Tom Dunson taking his herd from one place to the other is a pleasant image for me to see from time to time. (Hence the #21 spot)

54. Drunken Angel: That was one of my last omissions, great film. I prefered Stray Dog a bit which was a little lower on the list.

50. Sergeant York: I enjoyed that a lot, but not enough to put on my list.

49. Cat People: I disliked this film, I thought the main actress was atrocious nd the storyline didn't interest me at all.

48. Meet Me In St. Louis: Watched that for a HOF and liked it a lot, but not enough to put on my list.

47. Leave Her to Heaven: Gene Tierney is absolutely stunning in this movie, one of the great performance of the decade, it still didn't make my list. An other Tierney film might have though :P

45. Mildred Pierce: Absolutely love this film, one of the best film noir, it was my #10. What I particularly liked is that it non only works as a film noir, but also as a character study of a mother who wants her daughter to love her and that is ready to do pretty much everything to do so.

44. The Lady from Shanghai: I saw that a while ago and don't remember much of it, I should have rewatched it before sending my list

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Over the last few days I have been catching up with list films and have seen:

Lifeboat - I liked this a lot, the restricted setting made for a tense movie and an interesting examination of humanity under pressure. Also has possibly the best director cameo in film history.

Heaven Can Wait - This was quite watchable, nice to look at with some good performances especially in the supporting roles. I wasn't completely sure the story quite gelled for me overall. It might have worked better if it had been more purely a cynical comedy.

Portrait of Jennie - This was a strange film, but by the end I found it quite haunting and compelling. It certainly looked good. Jennifer Jones playing a little girl was creepier than the supernatural element. I quite liked that not everything was resolved and explained at the end.

100. The Body Snatcher
99. Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
98. The Letter
97. King-Size Canary

96. The Uninvited

95. Education for Death
94. Detour
93. Waterloo Bridge
92. The Spiral Staircase
91. Ride the Pink Horse

90. Blithe Spirit [rating]2.5[/raitng]
89. Le Corbeau
88. Easter Parade
87. Sands of Iwo Jima
86. Great Expectations

85. The Magnificent Ambersons

84. The Naked City
83. To Be or Not To Be
82. The Postman Always Rings Twice
81. Kiss of Death

80. Nightmare Alley
79. Black Narcissus
78. Now, Voyager
77. Key Largo
76. A Letter to Three Wives

75. Lifeboat

74. Rome, Open City
73. Scarlet Street
72. Gilda
71. Suspicion

70. The Suspect

69. Meshes of the Afternoon

68. Sullivan's Travels

67. All the King's Men
66. Yankee Doodle Dandy

65. Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
64. Stray Dog
63. Heaven Can Wait
62. Beauty and the Beast
61. Portrait of Jennie

60. Dead of Night
59. The Pride of the Yankees
58. My Darling Clementine

57. The Wolf Man
56. Red River

55. Odd Man Out
54. Drunken Angel
53. Miracle On 34th Street
52. The Picture of Dorian Gray
51. I Walked with a Zombie

50. Sergeant York
49. Cat People
48. Meet Me In St. Louis
47. Leave Her to Heaven
46. The Devil and Daniel Webster

45. Mildred Pierce
44. The Lady from Shanghai

43. The Little Foxes
42. White Heat
41. Gaslight

I think that's all that I've seen. My Darling Clementine would have been near the top of my list. Magnificent Ambersons would have been on list. I Walked With a Zombie would have been on my list too, cool to see it here without me. Sorry I missed this

This scene alone explains why I put The Lady from Shanghai at number 6 on my list. The weirdness and messiness of the whole film gives it a certain surreal quality that I appreciate a lot. The film has clearly been messed with, but the end result somehow still kind of works. Welles himself actually thought that despite the involvement of the studio, the film still kind of ended up working (I remember him saying this in one of the many 3-hour long interviews that I've seen with him over the years). I tend to agree, even though (yet again) I would've loved to see his untempered vision.

I also had the wonderful Meet Me in St. Louis on my list. It was my number 21 but could've easily been higher. It's the perfect Christmas film, full of nostalgia, passion, fun, sadness, warmth... It's simply a gorgeous picture and boy does it look beautiful!

Nice clip, Cobpyth-- some of the most memorable scenes in film. "Shanghai" is a wonderful movie; in my opinion the 4th best Orson Welles. It was certainly a kick to see Rita H. as a blonde! Welles' penchant for surrealism was in full display, which he put to use very nicely in his '62 film, The Trial.

Meet Me in St. Louis
was one of the great MGM musicals-- the kind that will never again be made (with due respect to La La Land). It's easy to get won over by such lush cinema, and good song writing. I always remember the film for its showcasing the great Christmas song, "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas", even though at the time, it was a sad song, with an entirely different meaning from the version popularized by Frank Sinatra.

~Doc

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
~40~

Director: John Ford
Producer: Darryl F. Zanuck
Distributor: 20th Century Fox

138 Points - 9 Lists
(1st; 3rd-2x; 4th; 12th; 14th-2x; 21st; 24th)

~39~

Director: William A. Wellman
Producer: Lamar Trotti
Distributor: 20th Century Fox

138 Points - 11 Lists
(3rd; 4th; 5th; 8th-2x; 14th; 18th-2x; 22nd;
24th-2x)

Incredible timing was literally just about to logoff when i saw you update haha.

How Green Was My Valley was my #3, amazing film that i wasn't expecting to like as much as i did. This is what i posted about it:

How Green Was My Valley

Wasn't sure what to expect going into this since my experiences with Fords films haven't always been great, i had already seen The Searchers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and Stagecoach the latter i love and the other two i found underwhelming although The Searchers desperately needs a rewatch. Thankfully i thought this was excellent. The start of this was excellent i think it can be seen as a bit hokey but in my opinion it was crucial to make the towns depression later effective. It started off ridiculously charming, the narration and playful music especially made this a really cozy film. I think the small Welsh village played into this as well; it looked beautiful both naturally and through Fords direction. Then we have the close family, loving parents and the rest of the community during the wedding scene and subsequent celebrations felt like an extended family; it was a great portrayal of a very happy community. So when you see the sign saying wages are being cut with the omninous music playing it is such a sharp turn towards coming gloom that it worked really well at least for me, it made me care. I honestly think this is one of the most powerful films i've seen because it is such great storytelling; it never felt manipulative or cloying which is an amazing feat since there's so many sad scenes/scenes of hardship. Plenty of scenes really got to me like Beth being completely overwhelmed with emotion at the town who she and her family were just at war with coming together to sing her songs of well-wishing after her recovery; coming together for one of their own despite the problems they have. Anyway there's really too many different stories to go through without repeating myself; i though all of them were handled really well and i can't think of any bad acting which again is some feat from such a large cast. It's surprising to me that this is only two hours long and this is a positive as it really feels like an epic when you consider how much actually happens and how naturally the passage of time feels; not one scene is filler that i can remember at least.

One thing i do want to point out because it surprised me is that i think the romance was done very well and truthfully it didn't need to be since it wasn't that important. As i said my main problem with The Suspect was how i don't think Laughton and Ella Raines relationship was handled well; it was too quick and so i didn't really care about them much. Here Angharad and the preachers love was handled masterfully without much interaction; even the first scene at the celebration where they smile at each other and once he goes past her she is sitting in the background nervously playing with her hair followed by the time they talk outside her house. It worked very well i thought, mostly because it was well acted and written, i mean the celebration scene when she was touching her hair she wasn't even the main focus but my eyes were drawn to her because i felt the first time they looked to each other there was something there. I think it says something about the quality of this film that a relationship that was basically a brief sidestory (i mean they aren't in too many scenes together) was done so well.

Anyway fantastic film. Amazing score and absolutely beautiful as well, didn't think there was much point going into that since it seems pretty well covered in the other reviews. Thanks for nominating Daniel.
Didn't quite love The Ox-Bow Incident but i thought it was very good.

Seen: 24/62
My List:

03. How Green Was My Valley
15. My Darling Clementine
17. Meet Me In St. Louis
18. Red River
20. Nightmare Alley

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
remember How Green Was My Valley from the first 40's HoF. Enjoyed the film but did not have room for it on my list.

Oxbow is another I need to watch.

Seen: 40/62

My List:
#11 Odd Man Out (55)
#16 Now, Voyager (78)
#17 The Suspect (70)
#18 Waterloo Bridge (93)
#21 The Pride of the Yankees (59)
#22 Little Foxes (43)
#24 Gilda (72)
#25 Arch of Triumph (1 Pointer)

Big night for my list with two instant favorites.

My list-

#3 How Green Was My Valley (40)
#4 The Ox-Bow Incident (39)
#6 The Little Foxes (43)
#9 My Darling Clementine (58)
#11 White Heat (42)
#15 Scarlet Street (73)
#19 The Devil and Daniel Webster (46)
#20 Mildred Pierce (45)
#21 Key Largo (77)
#22 Red River (56)
#24 Pride of the Yankees (59)
#25 Sergeant York (50)

How Green Was My Valley was number 21 on my list.

My list so far:
4. The Pride of the Yankees
7. Now, Voyager
8. The Picture of Dorian Gray
15. The Uninvited
16. Heaven Can Wait
20. Meet Me in St. Louis
21. How Green Was My Valley

I was luke warm on How Green Was My Valley. It reminded me of The Quiet Man...John Ford excels at grand outdoor cinematography and larger than life characters, especially male characters, but I want more nuances out of the dynamics of the characters relationship.

I wrote this:

How Green Was My Valley (John Ford,1941)

Review: This reminded me of Dune (1984). Both films are based on well known novels that were multi-character, with multiple interwoven story lines.... both were epic, long novels that were brought to the big screen. Like David Lynch with Dune, John Ford choose to include many of the scenes from the book (as opposed to focusing on select chapters of the book). And like Dune, that gives the viewer a visual synopsis of the novel. However, unfortunately in a 2 hour movie doesn't allow enough time for the character's personalities and story subtleties to be delved into as much as if this was a simpler story.

I think John Ford did a fine job in including as much of the human element that he could, but when a 600 page novel of much complexities is condensed down to 2 hours of film, so much gets loss. How Green Was My Valley lacks the 'meat' that makes movie moments so special, some scenes felt rushed and incomplete. Ford did manage to bring to life Donald Crisp, I got a good sense of the kind of man he was and what motivated him.

This reminded me of The Waltons TV show from the 1970s.The narrators voice, his warm sentimental way of talking and his rosy look back into his families past, really reminded me of Earl Hamner author and narrator of The Waltons.

I liked How Green Was My Valley, but it's viewing impact for me was middle of the road.