Gangs of New York

Tools    

I agree. The draft riot sequence was probably the most epic and astounding sequence of 2002.

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
I wasn't expecting the ending the way it was, but I competely agree with Holden. The ending was twice as epic, and doing the opening sequence over without Liam Neeson? I think not.

i saw it 6 times so you can guess how i feel about it

Shake well before opening.
The reviews on Gangs of New york were sharply divided and honestly i would have taken the side of those critics who treat gangs as a pile of crap with sprinkles on it, but Daniel day Lewis' performance made me wet myself by its pure genius.

Only for the weak
Ok so I'm WAAYYY behind. But I just bought Gangs of New York the other day, and loved it. I heard a couple of not-so good things about it, so my expectations were a little lower and it far exceeded them.

Daniel Day Lewis as Bill "The Butcher" is probably one of the best villains in movie history. And even though I've never seen The Pianist I have a hard time beleivng that Brody deserved an Oscar over Lewis. I mean he lit up the screen every time, I haven't been that impressed with a performance in a long time. Liam Neeson was great in a very small role. Dicaprio was pretty good, but Diaz was maybe mis-cast, her accent came and went. I think Brendan Gleeson was rather annoying as 'The Monk' and hasn't had a good role since Braveheart.

And while Scorsese has obviously done better, he doesn't really disapoint here. Am I the only one that was very impressed by the continuous shot that shows irish men getting off a boat, joining the army, boarding another ship, and then you see caskets coming in. I thought that spoke volumes for what things were like for poor people/immigrants in the time of the Civil War.

The whole city erupting in chaos was a pretty cool climax, and has a couple of messages behind it. But like others said I think there should have been a little more with Amsterdam and The Butcher going 1 on 1. And that voice-over with the guy typing telegrams was pretty annoying.

Martin Scorsese worked 25 long years to create this epic masterpiece, set during the 1860 Civil War draft riots in the 5 Points, and suburbs of Manhattan.

The story begins Scorsese style, putting all the emotion in probably the best scene in any American Movie to date.
WARNING: "Gangs of New York" spoilers below
The scene shows Priest Vallon, a gang leader, and Bill the Butcher, a rival gang leader. After 15 minutes of awesome fight sequences, Priest is killed painfully by the Butcher.

Priest Vallon's son seeks revenge, and it is interesting to see if Amsterdam, son of Priest, will try to end the Butcher's corrupt life quickly, or try to get closer, for an easier kill.

Daniel Day-Lewis, the actor who portrays the Butcher, acts flawlessly. His emotion and rage almost come out of the screen. Leonardo Dicaprio gives a surprisingly good performance as Amsterdam, and Cameron Diaz plays well as Jenny Everdeane, a pickpocket
who often has "other jobs," jobs for the men of 5 Points, that eventually led into an abortion.

The story fades, but regains its splendor with a magnificent closing to a phenomenal film. This film, a film that was left out of Oscar glory, deserved Best Director for Scorsese.

billthebutcher rating- ****

there's a frog in my snake oil
You can see why he wanted to bring that whole forgotten story to the screen can't you.
I imagine that last scene of the graves getting surrounded by the growing city must've been something he's been dreaming of most of that time.

Overall tho my appraisal kept fluctuating between this-is-silly to this-is-serious throughout the film. And i'm afraid part of that had to do with the start. I found the uniformity of dress off putting (from the regular bright blue sashes/"belts" and near identical shirts and hats on one side, to the daft costume-hall "fourty thieves" pirate-like outfits etc on the other). All the direction in the fight was top-notch, but that original line-up just blew the believeability for me.

Di Caprio faired better than i expected from the reviews, especially next to the ever-incandescant and engaging Mr Day-Lewis.
But i felt the way he built up to the assassination didn't do the pay-off the justice that another actor might have brought. A some of the soul-searching just came over as brow-creasing for example.

Ah well, the history aspect was fascinating, and the recreation wonderful in many ways. And the story was pretty engaging along the way too. I felt Scorsese's attention may have wondered in a few places, but hey, what do i know

Only for the weak
I think one problem Gangs of New York had, was the villain was 10 times more interesting than the protagonist.

I don't care too m uch for the main chactor but the villen with the long hat he was great!If he was not in there man the movie would blow!
The story and plot interest me and I would give it two stars it was good but it was not awful!
I also like the music very good!See you around!JM
Favorite Movie of all time:Star Wars!
Online offline boyfriend:AdarkSideJedi(brad)
Other Sites I belong tooeathcurse.com Darkmark.com and StarWars.com and Adult Swim.com!

A system of cells interlinked
Ahhhh Spoiler city!!!!

Please tag!!

Gah!!

_Sedai

Originally Posted by Sedai
Ahhhh Spoiler city!!!!

Please tag!!

Gah!!

_Sedai

Done... thanks...

*Sigh* ... I think I need a smilie warning... maybe one shaking his finger...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Done... thanks...

Again, Caity to the spoiler rescue. Thanks again for protecting my virgin eyes

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Done... thanks...

Whoops! Don't cuff me! (alright, maybe in the back-of-the-head way. I was half asleep)

Originally Posted by Golgot
Whoops! Don't cuff me! (alright, maybe in the back-of-the-head way. I was half asleep)

*Shake* ... there ... I was gentle... oh, wait... is that your tooth over there...

Was my review a good one? Or was it bad? Please give me some input.

The Aspiring Movie Reviewer

Billthebutcher

Originally Posted by billthebutcher

Billthebutcher

It was a nice review… a little short and you need to be a little more careful with details so as not to spoil the movie for those who have not seen it… but all in all, it was nice... so hang in there…

Originally Posted by billthebutcher

Billthebutcher
I would read some of the reviews by the following MoFo members, as they are excellent, and I have gleened some structuring ideas of off these people myself....

LordSlaytan
Kong
Piddzilla
Mark (Mark's reviews for fun)
Yoda
Beale the Rippe

All great reviewers (there are others I haven't named) that have good structure and content to their reviews.