The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've said before how I went repeatedly to see Cuckoo's Nest at the theatre in late '75/early '76. It was another of those films that really elicited audience reactions and gave me a warm feeling knowing that I could feel better about the problems in the real world for a couple of hours while still considering that there were people who had less control over their lives than I did. The film was really funny and uplifting, but it kept evoking outrage at the same time. And talk about a cast. I didn't know who most of them were! It was the first time I'd seen Danny Devito, Christopher Lloyd, Brad Dourif, Will Sampson, Vincent Schiavelli and Michael Berryman, but they were all great. Jack Nicholson who was at the height of his popularity with critics, audiences and me, probably gives his greatest performance. Just him, sitting in front of a turned-off TV set, giving play-by-play of the World Series, is enough for someone to fall in love with the movies. It was ninth on my list.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is a great film, by the way. It wasn't on my list and I also wouldn't rank it amongst my favorites (I've only seen it once, though), but I love Jack Nicholson and the story it tells is great and meaningful, so naturally I did like the movie quite a lot and I can easily see why it's so enormously popular.

It's a timeless classic about breaking free! It's undoubtedly a '70s film, but the slightly comical, touchingly dramatic and crazy way in which it presents its story and themes makes it more timeless than some of the other films of the time period that tackled similar issues.

Cuckoo's Nest is an instant classic and in my Top 20 so f*cking great

I had it at number 20. It's crazy that it's tied with Apocalypse Now in points. Er, did I say crazy? I meant, very fitting. It also means if I'd stuck with Apocalypse Now as my #25 movie, that one point would have been enough to bump it one whole spot. So now I'm doubly glad I didn't. I very much love Cuckoo's Nest more.

I blind bought One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest because I’d heard great things about it and because the DVD was very inexpensive. It sat unwatched in my collection for many years until I decided to watch it because I was bored and it was there.

I wasn’t immediately blown away by it, but it was an enjoyable experience and the film has grown on me considerably with subsequent rewatches. It’s a really touching, funny, thought provoking and heartbreaking film, with superb performances all around, but most notably by Jack Nicholson, Louise Fletcher and Brad Dourif. It was my #2.

My List
1. Charlotte's Web (#127, not on the countdown)
2. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (#8)
3. The Long Goodbye (#19)
4. Harold and Maude (#27)
5. Kramer vs. Kramer (#44)
6. Paper Moon (#74)
7. Deliverance (#51)
8. Cries and Whispers (#50)
9. Serpico (#55)
10. Dog Day Afternoon (#28)
11. Dirty Harry (#34)
12. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#68)
14. Frenzy (#121, not on the countdown)
15. Smokey and the Bandit (#124, not on the countdown)
18. Get Carter (#111, not on the countdown)
20. The Rocky Horror Picture Show (#46)
21. Network (#32)
22. Hausu (#76)
23. Mad Max (#70)
24. Tale of Tales (#120, not on the countdown)
25. Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1 point, not on the countdown)

Milos Forman’s One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest won the Best Picture Oscar for 1975, and here at MoFo we have it at number eight (crazy eight?). Adapted from Ken Kesey’s novel and starring Jack Nicholson in his first Oscar-winning performance, it appeared on sixty out of ninety-nine ballots, and exactly half had it as a top ten pick: two first placers, three second, six third, two fourth, five fifth place, a sixth, four seventh, an eighth, four ninth, and two tenth place votes, leading to a total of 856 points.

If you toggle back to Apocalypse Now’s reveal yesterday, it too had 856 points! Ninety-nine ballots, and even here in the top ten we had a numerical tie. It was the fourteenth numerical tie on the countdown, proving that even a one-point vote can make a difference, even way up at the top of the list. The first level of tie-breaking goes to which film appeared on more ballots, so One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest being on sixty lists was five more than Apocalypse Now, making it one place nearer to the top of the tops.

Milos Forman’s other Oscar-winning triumph, Amadeus, placed at number twenty-four on our ‘80s Countdown.

Number seven, tomorrow…you mental defective squad known as MoFo.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	8 chart.png
Views:	561
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	16841  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Cuckoo’s Nest was the eighteenth of my picks to make it. I had it at number fourteen.

3. Nashville (43)
5. Young Frankenstein (15)
7. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (22)
8. Little Big Man (61)
9. The Conversation (18)
10. The Man Who Would Be King (81)
12. The Long Goodbye (19)
13. Breaking Away (95)
14. One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (8)
15. Days of Heaven (29)
16. Solaris (39)
17. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (94)
18. Aguirre, the Wrath of God (21)
19. MASH (78)
20. Don’t Look Now (72)
21. Monty Python’s Life of Brian (41)
22. Le Cercle Rouge (60)
24. The Spirit of the Beehive (47)
25. Stroszek (115)

Exterminate all rational thought.
So Godfather II was my #2. The greatest sequel of all time. No discussion. I'm actually surprised it isn't higher. Apocalypse now was my #3. That movies is just on a whole other level. And Cuckoo was my #5. My favorite Nicholson movie. Such a great character he plays.

Cuckoo's Nest was another from Deadite, too, making a posthumous sweet sixteen…

1. Marathon Man (#73)
3. Dawn of the Dead (#35)
5. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (#25)
7. Harold & Maude (#27)
8. The Deer Hunter (#38)
9. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#68)
11. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (#14)
12. Walkabout (#67)
13. The Conversation (#18)
15. Carrie (#36)
18. Straw Dogs (#83)
19. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (#8)
20. Annie Hall (#30)
21. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (#22)
22. Apocalypse Now (#9)
24. The Godfather Part II (#10)

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cuckoo.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	148.2 KB
ID:	16844  

So, you all have been generally lousy in predicting the order of this top ten. The BluRay is off the table, but anyone think that since we're down to seven titles they can finally do it?

Alphabetically...

Alien
Chinatown
A Clockwork Orange
The Godfather
Jaws
Star Wars
Taxi Driver

My List So Far:
1. Che? (1972)
2. The Conformist (1970) #71
5. Wake in Fright (1971) #109
7. The Godfather: Part II (1974) #10
8. Walkabout (1971) #67
9. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (1975) #8
10. Solaris (1972) #39.
11. The Deer Hunter (1978) #38
12. Straight Time (1978)
13. Eraserhead (1977) #26
15. Deliverance (1972) #51
16. The Exorcist (1973) #12
17.Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) #14
18. Halloween (1978) #17
19. The Last Detail (1973) #129
20. Sorcerer (1977) #108
21. The Conversation (1974) #18
22. Wise Blood (1979)
23. Payday (1973)
24. Next Stop, Greenwich Village (1976)
25. La grande bouffe (1973) (1 point, not on the countdown)
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Cuckoo's Nest is also on my list.

My prediction for the final seven.

7. A Clockwork Orange
6. Alien
5. Star Wars
4. Chinatown
3. Taxi Driver
2. Jaws
1. The Godfather

So, you all have been generally lousy in predicting the order of this top ten. The BluRay is off the table, but anyone think that since we're down to seven titles they can finally do it?
I've guessed 6!

Did you know that?? I guessed the Top 6 films of the Millennium Countdown. They were:

1. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
2. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
3. The Dark Knight
4. Mulholland Drive
5. There Will Be Blood
6. City of God

I got all of those RIGHT! So if you make a guess now for the Top 7 and you get all of them right, you can say you beat me in numbers.

Also -- YAY! Cuckoo has shown up already. *BREATHES A SIGH OF RELIEF*