My reviews on the Halloween Movies (Michael Myers)

→ in
Tools    

I forgot the opening line.
Great job reviewing all 12 films - I was thinking about getting around to that with all the horror franchises. One day, one day. The first Halloween is just a classic film, and I find all the others a little trashy but fun. I like Halloween III a lot more than you do. I first saw it when it came out on video, and had no idea it would exist in a different universe to the whole Michael Myers one and hated it off the bat. In later years I rewatched it a few times and really grew to like it a lot. It's no masterpiece but it's a decent little genre film. One Halloween my friend and I put it on to watch again - and had a great time. I haven't seen The Curse of Michael Myers and after that I've only seen Rob Zombie's remake (I really didn't like it) and the recent Halloween (2018) which I'd like to see again, as someone close to me had just passed away when I watched it, so I really couldn't be enthused about films like that. I have a feeling I'd have really liked it under different circumstances.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Halloween Kills (2021)

A good movie with brutal kills and I think this film should of been the end of Michael. Hopefully they kill him off in the next one and give us a good proper ending. I got a feeling there going to remove his mask and kill him since it seems like with his mask on it makes him somewhat supernatural. Who knows, will have to see when the next Halloween movie comes out.
I’m hoping that they kill him off in the final instalment too. The problem is that if this reboot is deemed successful then we probably haven’t seen the end of Michael Myers.

I’m hoping that they kill him off in the final instalment too. The problem is that if this reboot is deemed successful then we probably haven’t seen the end of Michael Myers.
True but the last thing this series needs is another reboot, we already know his backstory what more can be explained.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

True but the last thing this series needs is another reboot, we already know his backstory what more can be explained.
I agree enough is enough and the story needs to be laid to rest. I’m sure a 50 year anniversary of the original will spark something off though?

You didn't really like the second and third one? I thought they were both fun to watch.
I liked the 2nd one it was decent and fun to watch, the 3rd one I thought it sucked

Halloween Ends (2022)

Not a bad movie, it's something different and a decent film. It's got a good satisfying ending to the movie also.

Nice review, I was the same also, thought we'd get another myers killing spree but nope we got something different, I mean it was better than just having myers killing alot of people again like the last 2 movies.

Nice review, I was the same also, thought we'd get another myers killing spree but nope we got something different, I mean it was better than just having myers killing alot of people again like the last 2 movies.
It’s quite bizarre that we both described the finale as satisfying. I posted my review before reading your thoughts. Glad you enjoyed it also.

Victim of The Night
My rankings for the Halloween movies

Interesting.
I watched Season Of The Witch last night and I am about to absolutely heap praise on that movie over in my thread.
Outside of the original, I don't think I would choose any of the other remaining 11 films over SotW during the month of October.

But I would also put Zombie's second Halloween movie in 4th place in the franchise.

Interesting.
I watched Season Of The Witch last night and I am about to absolutely heap praise on that movie over in my thread.
Outside of the original, I don't think I would choose any of the other remaining 11 films over SotW during the month of October.

But I would also put Zombie's second Halloween movie in 4th place in the franchise.

And in third place?

Easiest ranking of a series ever

1) The OG
2) Season of the Witch
3) Halloween 2 (Zombie, arguably the second best, but 3 has seniority so tough shit)
4) The OG sequel (not actually that good, but it is passable)
5) Who gives a **** about the rest

Halloween (1978)
Halloween II (1981)
Halloween 2 (2009)
Halloween (2018)
Halloween H20: 20 Years Later
Halloween III: Season of the Witch
Halloween Resurrection
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers
Halloween (2007)
Halloween Kills
Halloween Ends

Haven’t yet seen 4 or 5.

Easiest ranking of a series ever

1) The OG
2) Season of the Witch
3) Halloween 2 (Zombie, arguably the second best, but 3 has seniority so tough shit)
4) The OG sequel (not actually that good, but it is passable)
5) Who gives a **** about the rest

If I ever bite the bullet and watch Zombie's Halloween part 2, do I need to watch his first remake as well?

I've seen through 5 and H20, so outside of 3 (and 2 being passable), I've never felt the great need to give the later ones a shot, but I'm seeing all of you say Zombie actually made a movie worth watching (I can't remember if it's come up before, but I've been seen a Rob Zombie movie; I keep hearing that they're... not that great).

If I ever bite the bullet and watch Zombie's Halloween part 2, do I need to watch his first remake as well?

I've seen through 5 and H20, so outside of 3 (and 2 being passable), I've never felt the great need to give the later ones a shot, but I'm seeing all of you say Zombie actually made a movie worth watching (I can't remember if it's come up before, but I've been seen a Rob Zombie movie; I keep hearing that they're... not that great).

I don't think there is any need to see the first one.

Zombies approach can seem kind of lame at times, in that he doubles down on his rock and roll edgelord vibe an awful lot, but I think it's kind of hard to deny his basic talent. He doesn't just understand the transgressive elements of Grindhouse, but seems to really understand what makes those movies transcend their sleazy origins. Now, I'll still take the real deal any day, but Zombie (with at least 3 or 4 of his films) seems to have studied these films pretty well, then (unlike the Wans and Roth's of the world) actually brings something of his own to the table.

Do I think his Halloween 2 is going to work for someone who wants to continue seeing Michael Myers as simply The Shape? Probably not. He does some things to break apart that mythos. But if one can accept he is taking a different approach here, I think there is a lot of great stuff in this movie. And, more than just a collection of good scenes, I think it all hangs together pretty well (even if there are still a few elements I don't particularly like)