Omni's Random Video Noise

→ in
Tools    

Question everything, huh? Okay, then - why is this documentary necessary? If this documentary is so entry-level, why would you recommend it to the people who would protest it while working off a similarly basic understanding?
I was only half-serious, no one so blinded by ideology would take my recommendations anyway. That said, I DO think those people are the ones should see it most. So, Catch-22.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
Why assume that feminism (or "calling ourselves feminists") is just a "phase" that people go through?
I didn't quite mean it that way. I certainly feel that there are merits to feminism, but, unfortunately in first-world countries such as yours and mine, pushing equality from only one direction eventually crosses the event horizon and things get all outta wack. Sorta like when you're trying to create a character in Fallout 3, you can't touch one slider without a bunch of others clicking out of position. Getting perfect uniform equality is difficult if not impossible.

I was speaking more to the "redpilled" like myself, just many of the people featured in the movie previously considered themselves feminists before they too separated from the movement.

And spoiler:
WARNING: "Red Pill" spoilers below
The narrator does too.

However that is not to impugn the work of people like, say, Ayaan Hirsi Ali, who I believe more accurately describes the problem being not the idea of feminism itself, but it's modern first-world third-wave incarnation.

Does this film actually investigate the reasons for claims such as men generally dying sooner than women or is it just context-free point-scoring?
Good question. To be honest I wish it had gone more in depth, but the main point of bringing up deaths per capita is mainly to contrast with the mainstream narrative, that being that men have it so good, women are treated like second class citizens, patriarchy, patriarchy, rah-rah-rah.

Is the "red pill" community any less of an echo chamber for setting up their opposition as "bluepilled"?
Another good question. The movie focuses on MRAs which mainly refers to people who advocate reforming the law insofar as it stops discriminating with men. In fact, the movie's opening is couched in the negative publicity of what amounts to an in-joke on the central website, A Voice For Men.

Near the end the movie does distinguish between 3 different "men's rights" communities, that being general MRAs (want to change the system), MGTOWs (want to escape the system), and the, admittedly confusingly named "RedPills", in reference to the r/TheRedPill Reddit board (want to exploit the system).

I follow a couple self-described MRAs online and at least one of them, while generally quite sensible, does occasionally go off on a tangent about how there has never ever been anything redeemable about Feminism. You make a distinction comparable to the above between oldschool Suffragists and Suffragettes.

Is there echo-chamber-y behavior going on? Yeah. Isn't there always?

Does its questioning of assumptions about men's roles in society reflect back on toxic ideals of masculinity or is it all focused on blaming The Feminists?
Personally, again, I think the movie would have benefited by going more in-depth on this, surely it's not TOO MUCH to admit Men had it pretty solid prior to the Civil Rights Movement. Mainly what it does is draw attention to the biological predisposition of men as "producers" and women as "reproducers", reflect on how it's resulted in a few of the disparities we see modern feminism trying to resolve, and then criticizing how feminism has overcorrected.

How does one distance themselves from feminism and also acknowledge women's hardships?
You know, Iro, I'm getting the distinct feeling that this movie is for you.

Does the film do anything to acknowledge the Red Pill's toxic public reputation or the negative connotations it creates for legitimate men's-rights concerns?
When you say "the Red Pill" are you referring to the movie or MRAs?

I would say it does pretty heavily lampshade the kind of behavior that got it protested, but if you're talking about MRAs, again, the movie opens up by specifically drawing attention to their negative public image. MGTOWs and r/TheRedPill aren't addressed much, but they're either not engaged in the conversation or actively trying to take advantage of a bad situation. There are parasites on the underbelly, but they're not representative of the majority.

What exactly makes Sargon worth listening to?
Well, he's been engaged with this issue for years, he was part of GamerGate (which is a WHOLE 'NOTHER MOVIE, that's a fun story, do recommend), he's been following this morbid social justice phenomenon into the new cultural marxist media machine it's become and he was recently the subject of a study attempting to determine his credibility as a political commentator:

I have collected all objections about his methods and errors, which boiled down to the list of 10 cases we have covered here (you can refer to other cases in the comments section if you have more). I conclude that 7 of these cases were unsupported. I conclude that in more than 5 years of public life, counting more than 50,000 tweets, participation to more than 1,500 videos that have generated more than 300 million views, in addition to more than 300 livestreams, Sargon has committed a total of 3 minor errors. In one case, he misused quotes in a tweet. In a second case, he failed at providing the contextual definition of the legal concepts clearly delineating the meaning of the words he was using. In the third case, he misspoke and used the word 'probably,' when the best description would have been 'possibly.'

I conclude that every day, billions of people listen to other people whom they consider authorities, and who have demonstrated a much higher rate of error than he does. The retraction rate of Sargon, per volume of statements, does not seem to be higher, and if anything could be argued to be lower, than that of major news media and scientific articles published in peer-reviewed publications. This is quite impressive considering that he is under much tighter scrutiny than the average peer-reviewed scientific journal. Millions of eyes have crossed his content, while many scientific papers went unread by anyone on the shelves of our libraries. Perhaps even more impressive is that Sargon has been systematically acknowledging the existence of these errors and recognizing his errors on the public space.

TLR

Sargon is a decent human being. There is no evidence of intellectual or academic misconduct on his part.

Jean-François Gariépy, Ph. D.

If questioning everything is so important, then how much did you question what this film was doing?
I feel like I do that plenty for B-movies. I take notes, often unhelpful as they are when my opinions come tumbling out. I feel the movie could've been longer, gone more in-depth, but as a post-release Q&A video I've since seen demonstrates, there are topics that the creator wanted to address in more detail, but opted to cut for the sake of digestability, which contributes to why I say this is pretty "entry-level". It's not a huge info-dump of a movie, like the review I intend to post after I'm done responding to this post.

To be honest though, maybe I'm just not describing it well. It told me a lot of things I already knew, so not a whole lot jumped out at me as new or challenging information.

I don't think I've questioned everything, but it's a start.
YOU should watch the movie. You've got the inquisitive mind.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	ayaan.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	31889  

Welcome to the human race...
We'll see if I do end up watching it, though if I don't it'll be out of lack of availability more than anything.

What The Health
Documentary / English / 2017

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
> Trump wins election
> Clinton blames Russian hackers
> Seth Rich gets mysteriously shot in the back
> KimDotCom claims Seth Rich was the DNC leaker
> Conspiracies theories flying every which way until suddenly:

WHOA. Now hold on. Clinton kills a newborn baby every other day, this dilemma can wait, let's take a look at a REAL CONSPIRACY.

WHAT'D I THINK? *SPOILERS*
Hope you liked that Red Pill, cause I got a bigger one and it's gonna be a little bit harder to swallow.

But you gotta do it.

Cause drugs are bad for you.

That makes sense, I swear.

HERE, we have another documentary, this time about a dude who goes "WUT, MEAT CAUSES CANCER?????" and starts looking into the health problems associated with the modern American diet. It's not pretty. Which, I expect anyone to know by now given that one of the most popular stereotypes of Americans is that they're obese.

So, with this movie I'm left a little skeptical because LAST TIME I watched a health movie, Michael Moore spent the better part of two hours lying by omission.

So I feel I'm a little bit more on edge this time, because lying about what's good for you is like America's second favorite pasttime. Also, I'm woefully uninformed about health, as this movie promptly makes me feel better about by candidly admitting that neither do doctors.

Oh, they know how to TREAT conditions, but how many of them have actually studied nutrition?

Admittedly, the human body is an extraordinarily complex organism, I wish I understood it better, and this movie encourages me to, which I take to be a point in it's favor.

ANYWAY, here's the long and short of it, I cross-checked nearly all of the studies referenced in the movie (all but one was freely viewable online), compiled the most important ones, and will now show them to you, THAT IS...

...if you can stand to have what is an extremely important movie spoiled for you.

Here's my position: Go vegan. You don't need the health argument.

It's simple. It's straightforward. Just go vegan. It's the ethical thing to do and in over 25 years not a single meat-eater has forwarded an argument in anyway justifying our treatment of non-human animals.

It's disgusting.

AND EVEN if you can't PHILOSOPHICALLY justify it, you can LOGICALLY justify it. Just be consistent with your morals, THAT'S ALL.

If you wouldn't want it done to YOU, don't do it somebody else.
It's Kant's Categorical Imperative,
it's Rawls' Original Position,
it's the GOLDEN RULE.

Just don't be a dick.

Ya dick.

And if you're think I'm equating micro-bacteria to human beings... ya bein' a dick.

STAWP IT.

Stop.

Stop.

SO ANYWAY, let's assume, for sake of argument, you're sociopathic and only care about yourself. "MUH HEALTH" you might whinge into the bathroom mirror as you lament your bad skin, your recent illnesses, the handful of drugs you have to take, and your unhealthy weight that makes it tiring to even stand up and look yourself in the eye.

I think we have a problem here.

Now it could be that you just have a crippling genetic disorder, you were born with that harlequin disease or some ****, in which case, I'm sorry, you're ****ed. I hope you at least enjoyed reading my reviews before your untimely death.

However, odds are, that's not the case for you. You're just a regular old everybody who thinks they do a pretty reasonable job eating meat and sugar in moderation, you pound your milk for them strong bones, and you pay lipservice to breast cancer awareness ().

Well... have you ever wondered why food commercials appear alongside heartburn medication? Why drugstores appear alongside fast food restaurants? Why vegans DARE judge your dietary choices?

Consider the following:

Here we can see the US federal government's dietary advisory council and 4 of the nation's biggest health organizations... flanked by their sponsors.

Hmm... that's a little strange innit? A little uncouth perhaps? Looks almost like a sort of...

CONFLICT OF INTEREST.

Hm. Well that's cute, but I'm sure there's nothing menacing about that. I mean, these organizations have a VESTED interest in our health, right? So OBVIOUSLY they're gonna prescribe us good foods.

Consider the following:

W-well that doesn't look quite so good. It seems like... like uh...

They're POISONING US!

Wow. That's uh... umm... NOT GOOD? Per-say?

Ya know, actually, that's pretty devious that these foods companies lobby to feed us lies, that's, I daresay, awful, actually. In fact, it seems particularly egregious that millions and millions of taxpayer dollars are literally going towards subsidizing the very companies that contribute to our two leading causes of death: heart disease and cancer.

That's... pretty despicable. I don't much like that. BUT YOU KNOW, I just can't go vegan, because of the most obviously self-contradictory reason in the world, it's too expensive!

I'm spending all my money on drugs right now, cause I got all these unrelated illnesses... I'm kinda fat. Got asthma. And my doctor tells me I'm gonna need to take like 57 different vitamins so I don't puke a lung, slip a disc, and die by the end of the week.

Consider the following:

WELL THAT'S JUST MEAN.

You're telling me drug companies are paying doctors to lie to me so I'll eat food that will make me sick so I can spend the rest of my increasingly short life paying tithes to the government which still haven't banned these obviously unethical practices?

Well GOLLY-GEE SHOOT ME NOW.

This is supremely ****ed. And it's nothing NEW, this information has been circulating for years and the evidence has been right under our noses. I noticed it at a young young YOUNG ****in' age because I was raised vegetarian and yet CONSTANTLY TOLD to remember the food pyramid.

Another failure of the public education system. And another crippling failure of government, too. @Yoda, I hope you can appreciate what I mean when I take more than your average axe-swing of criticism at the current establishment. They are guilty for INDOCTRINATING, POISONING, AND KILLING MILLIONS AND MILLIONS OF CHILDREN WILLINGLY AND WITH MALICE OF FORETHOUGHT, to say nothing the non-humans we slaughter in the planet's biggest holocaust barely anybody ****ing talks about.

STOP. FUNDING. THIS ****.

And people have the ****ing gall to call vegans extreme, YOU'RE NOT MADE TO EAT MEAT!

And you're not made to suck on cow **** either! You're just weird!

I'm the normal one! I AM!

Final Verdict:
[Friggen' Awesome]

Attachments

Name:	wth.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	31890   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatTheHealth1.jpg
Views:	5884
Size:	182.7 KB
ID:	31891   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatTheHealth2.jpg
Views:	1055
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	31892   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhatTheHealth3.jpg
Views:	1013
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	31893   Click image for larger version

Name:	Frugivore.jpg
Views:	977
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	31894  

Do tell me your thoughts.
You are much more plugged in to these social movements than I ever plan to be. I think I agree with you about the overall effectiveness of the doc. The Film makers verdict seems to be that we all have battles we need to fight and it turns out women and minorities aren't the only ones who are and feel marginalized. Listening and understanding are more productive than trying to drown each other out. Pretty basic stuff. So yeah, the MRA has valid opinions but it doesn't appear they are any better at listening to feminists as feminists are to them.

The most apt opinion in the film is the metaphor about the snow drift. It applies to everyone in every walk of life. Life is never going to be an even playing field but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be working to achieve that. All our problems are nuanced and we should take a nuanced approach to them.

The film maker takes a very pragmatic approach and that in and of itself was refreshing. It would be nice if we all could learn to listen to each other instead of constantly trying to one up each others social problems.

I am glad I watched this but it definitely wasn't life changing, and I won't be joining either movement anytime soon.

Omni, how do you get your fill of B-12 vitamin?

Because a family member of mine tried to go vegetarian and got cancer because of immunodeficiency from lack of aminoacids and B12 vitamin. Hence, I dont think its natural for people to get cancer.

Also, food companies like MacDonalds exist in every country of the world, in Japan there is about as many MacDonalds per capita as the US and in Japan obesity is almost inexistent, as result their life expectancy is 5 years higher than in the US. Clearly the food company conspiracy with the healthcare industry does not exist in there. Well, such a conspiracy is similar to conspiracies about UFOs and similar silly things.

You are much more plugged in to these social movements than I ever plan to be. I think I agree with you about the overall effectiveness of the doc. The Film makers verdict seems to be that we all have battles we need to fight and it turns out women and minorities aren't the only ones who are and feel marginalized. Listening and understanding are more productive than trying to drown each other out. Pretty basic stuff. So yeah, the MRA has valid opinions but it doesn't appear they are any better at listening to feminists as feminists are to them.

The most apt opinion in the film is the metaphor about the snow drift. It applies to everyone in every walk of life. Life is never going to be an even playing field but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be working to achieve that. All our problems are nuanced and we should take a nuanced approach to them.

The film maker takes a very pragmatic approach and that in and of itself was refreshing. It would be nice if we all could learn to listen to each other instead of constantly trying to one up each others social problems.
Well said.

I am glad I watched this but it definitely wasn't life changing, and I won't be joining either movement anytime soon.
You really don't have to. There's a fine line between "being part of a movement" and agreeing with that movement's founding principals.

One might consider me both feminist and an MRA, but an easier way of saying that is just "I'm egalitarian".

Omni, how do you get your fill of B-12 vitamin?

Getchu some vegan cereal and milk son.

Originally Posted by Guaporense
Because a family member of mine tried to go vegetarian and got cancer because of immunodeficiency from lack of aminoacids and B12 vitamin.
Yeah, if there's anything I would warn people about it would be B12. A lot of people have this misconception that B12 is unique to animal products, but it's not. It comes mainly from a bacteria found in soil that grows into our plants, the only reason it's an issue now is that we sanitize our food.

Hence, I dont think its natural for people to get cancer.
I think it's debatable whether cancer is "natural" depending on what we mean by the word, but I understand your point. B12 deficiency is not good and I hazard to imagine how many would-be vegans gave up because they were uninformed about it.

But if you wanna talk about veganism and cancer:

Also, food companies like MacDonalds exist in every country of the world, in Japan there is about as many MacDonalds per capita as the US and in Japan obesity is almost inexistent, as result their life expectancy is 5 years higher than in the US. Clearly the food company conspiracy with the healthcare industry does not exist in there. Well, such a conspiracy is similar to conspiracies about UFOs and similar silly things.
It actually makes a lot of sense if you think about it. There isn't quite the same marketing powerhouse pressuring Japanese people to eat steak or beef, but they do have an approximation of the food pyramid, in reverse, ironically:

While fruit may be at the bottom, so is dairy, and it's worth noting that, and as I'm sure you're aware; Japanese dishes consist of a much larger variety of raw foods. Whereas the American diet may regularly consist of heavily processed meats and cheeses, cheese is relatively uncommon in Japanese foods and meat often consists of fish before it gets anywhere near a processing plant.

In the grand scheme of animal products, fish are probably the least worst to eat. It's why meat-eaters will regularly make reference to the Eskimos because despite intestinal worms and food being shipped to them, reducing their cholesterol levels, they don't live that much shorter lives than your average American.

HOWEVER, it's actually pretty funny that you point to Japan as a counterargument, because one of if not the longest living populations on the planet are Okinawans, and their health has only recently gone downhill with the appearance of... KFCs.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia: Longevity in Okinawa
Okinawa had the longest life expectancy in all prefectures of Japan for almost 30 years prior to 2000. The relative life expectancy of Okinawans has since declined, due to many factors including westernization. In fact, in 2000 Okinawa dropped in its ranking for longevity advantage for men to 26th out of 47 within the prefectures of Japan. Japan has the highest life expectancy of any country: 90 for women and for men, 84. Compare this to America where the average life expectancy for women is 81 years old, and 76 for men.
There are more than 400 centenarians in Okinawa. Although there is a myriad of factors for differences in life expectancy, a large factor is the cuisine. People from all around the world have tried to emulate the "Okinawa diet" to reap its health benefits, believed to be because it is nutritionally dense yet low in calories. This is also true of the Mediterranean diet.
Originally Posted by Wikipedia: Okinawa Diet
The traditional diet of the islanders contains 30% green and yellow vegetables. Although the traditional Japanese diet usually includes large quantities of rice, the traditional Okinawa diet consists of smaller quantities of rice; instead the staple is the purple-fleshed Okinawan sweet potato. The Okinawan diet has only 30% of the sugar and 15% of the grains of the average Japanese dietary intake.
The traditional diet also includes a tiny amount of fish (less than half a serving per day) and more in the way of soy and other legumes (6% of total caloric intake). Pork is highly valued, yet eaten very rarely.
Originally Posted by Wikipedia: Mediterranean Diet
  • High intakes of extra virgin olive oil (as the principal source of fat), vegetables (including leafy green vegetables), fresh fruits (consumed as desserts or snacks), cereals (mostly wholegrains), nuts and legumes.
  • Moderate intakes of fish (especially marine blue species), seafood, poultry, dairy products (principally cheese and yogurt) and red wine.
  • Low intakes of eggs, red meat, processed meat and sweets.
All of this tracks with the facts: Humans, like apes, are frugivores:

Originally Posted by Wikipedia: Ape
Their diet is best described as frugivorous and folivorous, consisting mainly of fruit, nuts, seeds, including grass seeds, leaves, and in some cases other animals, either hunted or scavenged, or (solely in the case of the humans) farmed—along with anything else available and easily digested.
If hominids would supplement their diet at all, it would make sense that, of all things they've evolved to most readily consume, it's small fish, due our ability to use tools with relatively little risk to ourselves.

Cool. That explains how so many people in India manage to live without eating meat.

STOP. FUNDING. THIS ****.

And people have the ****ing gall to call vegans extreme, YOU'RE NOT MADE TO EAT MEAT!

And you're not made to suck on cow **** either! You're just weird!

I'm the normal one! I AM!

[/left]
[/center]
Final Verdict:
[Friggen' Awesome]

[/left]
[/center]
[/left]
[/center]
[/left]
[/center]
Not really. Read this:

Originally Posted by https://www.vrg.org/nutshell/omni.htm
Humans are Omnivores

Adapted from a talk by John McArdle, Ph.D.

Document Sections:
Introduction
Confusion between Taxonomy and Diet
Omnivorism
The Great Apes
Evidence of Humans as Omnivores
Archeological Record
Cell Types
Fermenting Vats
Jaws
Salivary Glands
Intestines
Conclusion
APPENDIX: Other Thoughts
For Questions or Comments
Introduction

There are a number of popular myths about vegetarianism that have no scientific basis in fact. One of these myths is that man is naturally a vegetarian because our bodies resemble plant eaters, not carnivores. In fact we are omnivores, capable of either eating meat or plant foods. The following addresses the unscientific theory of man being only a plant eater.

Confusion between Taxonomy and Diet

Much of the misinformation on the issue of man's being a natural vegetarian arises from confusion between taxonomic (in biology, the procedure of classifying organisms in established categories) and dietary characteristics.

Members of the mammalian Order Carnivora may or may not be exclusive meat eaters. Those which eat only meat are carnivores. Dietary adaptations are not limited by a simple dichotomy between herbivores (strict vegetarians) and carnivores (strict meat-eaters), but include frugivores (predominantly fruit), gramnivores (nuts, seeds, etc.), folivores (leaves), insectivores (carnivore-insects and small vertebrates), etc. Is is also important to remember that the relation between the form (anatomy/physiology) and function (behavior) is not always one to one. Individual anatomical structures can serve one or more functions and similar functions can be served by several forms.

Omnivorism

The key category in the discussion of human diet is omnivores, which are defined as generalized feeders, with neither carnivore nor herbivore specializations for acquiring or processing food, and who are capable of consuming and do consume both animal protein and vegetation. They are basically *opportunistic* feeders (survive by eating what is available) with more generalized anatomical and physiological traits, especially the dentition (teeth). All the available evidence indicates that the natural human diet is omnivorous and would include meat. We are not, however, required to consume animal protein. We have a choice.

The Great Apes

There are very few frugivores amongst the mammals in general, and primates in particular. The only apes that are predominantly fruit eaters (gibbons and siamangs) are atypical for apes in many behavioral and ecological respects and eat substantial amounts of vegetation. Orangutans are similar, with no observations in the wild of eating meat.

Gorillas are more typically vegetarian, with less emphasis on fruit. Several years ago a very elegant study was done on the relationship between body size and diet in primates (and some other mammal groups). The only primates on the list with pure diets were the very small species (which are entirely insectivorous) and the largest (which specialize in vegetarian diet). However, the spectrum of dietary preferences reflect the daily food intake needs of each body size and the relative availability of food resources in a tropical forest. Our closest relatives among the apes are the chimpanzees (i.e., anatomically, behaviorally, genetically, and evolutionarily), who frequently kill and eat other mammals (including other primates).

Evidence of Humans as Omnivores

Archeological Record

As far back as it can be traced, clearly the archeological record indicates an omnivorous diet for humans that included meat. Our ancestry is among the hunter/gatherers from the beginning. Once domestication of food sources began, it included both animals and plants.

Cell Types

Relative number and distribution of cell types, as well as structural specializations, are more important than overall length of the intestine to determining a typical diet. Dogs are typical carnivores, but their intestinal characteristics have more in common with omnivores. Wolves eat quite a lot of plant material.

Fermenting Vats

Nearly all plant eaters have fermenting vats (enlarged chambers where foods sits and microbes attack it). Ruminants like cattle and deer have forward sacs derived from remodeled esophagus and stomach. Horses, rhinos, and colobine monkeys have posterior, hindgut sacs. Humans have no such specializations.

Jaws

Although evidence on the structure and function of human hands and jaws, behavior, and evolutionary history also either support an omnivorous diet or fail to support strict vegetarianism, the best evidence comes from our teeth.

The short canines in humans are a functional consequence of the enlarged cranium and associated reduction of the size of the jaws. In primates, canines function as both defense weapons and visual threat devices. Interestingly, the primates with the largest canines (gorillas and gelada baboons) both have basically vegetarian diets. In archeological sites, broken human molars are most often confused with broken premolars and molars of pigs, a classic omnivore. On the other hand, some herbivores have well-developed incisors that are often mistaken for those of human teeth when found in archeological excavations.

Salivary Glands

These indicate we could be omnivores. Saliva and urine data vary, depending on diet, not taxonomic group.

Intestines

Intestinal absorption is a surface area, not linear problem. Dogs (which are carnivores) have intestinal specializations more characteristic of omnivores than carnivores such as cats. The relative number of crypts and cell types is a better indication of diet than simple length. We are intermediate between the two groups.

Conclusion

Humans are classic examples of omnivores in all relevant anatomical traits. There is no basis in anatomy or physiology for the assumption that humans are pre-adapted to the vegetarian diet. For that reason, the best arguments in support of a meat-free diet remain ecological, ethical, and health concerns.

[Dr. McArdle is a vegetarian and currently Scientific Advisor to The American Anti-Vivisection Society. He is an anatomist and a primatologist.]

APPENDIX: Other Thoughts

The following information is taken from The New York Times, May 15, 1979. According to Dr. Alan Walker, a Johns Hopkins University anthropologist, Homo Erectus, the species immediately ancestorial to our own Homo Sapiens, had evidence of an omnivorous diet. Every Homo-Erectus tooth found was that of an omnivore. However, a small sample of teeth from the human-like species during a 12 million year period leading up to the Homo-Erectus period, indicates the earlier species may have been a fruit eater. Even if this species, way before our own, lived on a fruit diet, they probably would not have consumed what we consider typical fruits. Hundreds of plants produce fruits that are tougher, more substantial foods than what we eat today.

Quoted from an editorial by William Clifford Roberts, M.d., Editor-in-Chief of the American Journal of Cardiology:

"When we kill animals to eat them, they end up killing us because their flesh, which contains cholesterol and saturated fat, was never intended for human beings, who are natural herbivores."
Quoted from "WHAT DID OUR ANCESTORS EAT?" in Nutrition Reviews, by Stanley Garn, Professor of Nutrition and Anthropology, and William Leonard, Assistant Professor of Human Biology:

"These people of Upper Pleistocene, and later those of the mesolithic, were our immediate ancestors, no longer hunters exclusively and with whole-grain products and a variable amount of roots, fruits, leafy vegetables and nuts in their diet. We must grant them a mixed diet, with animal fat providing a smaller proportion of their food energy than was probably true for the Neanderthals."
For additional information, please see articles:
What killed Neanderthals? Scientists blame those rascally rabbits. (NBC News Science; 03/06/13)
Analysis of ancient poop shows Neanderthals ate plants, not just meat
Do chimpanzees fight wars and kill? (BBC; 08/11/15)
National Geographic Society Encyclopedic Entry Omnivore
First pots for cooking plants found (BBC; 12/19/16)
This article was originally published in the May/June 1991 edition of Vegetarian Journal, published by:

The Vegetarian Resource Group
P.O. Box 1463
Baltimore, MD 21203
(410) 366-VEGE

Incidentally, I would philosophically disagree with Laurie here:

The "ethical" argument is totally bogus, since there is no objective set of ethics to which one can compare to determine what is more, or less, "ethical" than what. That is, individuals just make up their own ethical standards to suit their purposes of the moment.
Attachments

Name:	When I Talk About Objective Morality.png
Views:	524
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	32306  

Vice Squad
Crime Drama / English / 1982

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
Someone recommended it here, I forget who. Supposedly has an over-the-top villain. It's been on my watchlist for a while.

"No one wants to have straight sex anymore."

Marriage, Hotdogs, I'm deliberating on keeping these parts in the reviews.

Yo. I'm back, and and to kick it off we're hitting up some 80s B-movie sludge.

This honestly wasn't quite as campy as I expected, but it's a little bit quirky in it's own way. The Hollywood Vice Squad is out and about and comes across the body of Main Girl's BFF, an obvious victim of the notoriously violent sexual abuser and psychopath "Ramrod". Vice Squad offers Main Girl a deal to round off some drug charges by offering herself as a prostitute to Ramrod to help in a sting operation.

It's kind of a weird setup here and it's not altogether clear who our primary protagonist is for several minutes and by the time Ramrod is captured and escapes setting off the chase that makes the majority of the movie, I feel like a good chuck of it's already elapsed. Part of that could probably be blamed on the false opening in which Main Girl is portrayed as an upperclass privileged woman who for reasons I couldn't glean must sobbingly pass offer her daughter to her housekeeper/servant/friend/token black maid and then totally break character revealing herself to be a prostitute in butt**** Hollywood. Okay. This ability to act recurs later in the story, but this bit of plotting seems needless all things said.

While Ramrod's a step behind Main Girl and Vice is a step behind Ramrod, we follow their effort to catch up to their marks while Main Girl goes on a vaguely amusing sequence of hookups where she either outright blows off the person she's supposed to blow, or knowingly indulges her clients' peculiar circumstances or fetishes. She seems to gravitate to your slightly desperate watersports enthusiast or foot fetishist before noping out on a guy trying to deliver "a whole convention". Still, she crosses the line when she's elaborately escorted to a manor, put in a wedding dress, and then jumpscared by an old man in a coffin with some shrill ****awful voice who apparently thinks it ruins the mood when SHE speaks. Righto grandpa.

I kinda wish she gave a little more consideration to the polite butler's clumsy attempt at a rebound **** though.

ANYWAY, Ramrod eventually shows up and he's beaten a few people and castrated a pimp on the way there, he takes Main Girl to a warehouse, straps her to a bed, starts tying up a wirehangar and makes to whip her in a manor that somehow killed Main Girl's friend at the beginning of the movie? I dunno how that works. I get the genital mutilation bit, that's explicitly stated, but whipping her with a wire hanger seems pretty tame when he's the sort of nutjob to tear through a backdrop and greet you with a literal noose.

Ramrod was easily the most interesting character in the movie, just cause he's so constantly intense, but he lacks the REALLY out there mannerisms that would push him into full on cartoon.

Cops show up, Ramrod dies, it's pretty anticlimactic honestly, the whole movie feels like a stock episode of CSI: Miami or something, but without all the forensic stuff.

Overall, the movie was pretty meh.

Final Verdict:
[Meh...]

Attachments

Name:	vice.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	36890   Click image for larger version

Name:	vice2.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	36894  

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
*Wads up missing persons report.*

He shoots! He scores!

Jeepers Creepers
Horror / English / 2001

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
Saw it in a Top 10 list somewhere I think.

Cats.

The first, I dunno, 20 maybe minutes of this movie are solid. The setting and characters are relatively realistic and the event which kicks off the rest of the horror movie; driving past what appears to be a murderer dumping his bodies and promptly being chased down, are plausible circumstances for a real-life thriller.

After the first 20 maybe minutes though, our narrative quality takes a sharp downturn. Mystery Man runs Brother and Sister off the road, but neglects to turn back and ensure an end to their prospective meddling. Brother and Sister then take this opportunity to GO BACK TO THE CRIME SCENE even though Mystery Man could return at any time and they're currently at the disadvantage of a wrecked car. They also know the bodies were dumped into a pipe, no information how deep the pipe is, so it's entirely possible (and as it so happens is true) that they could be wasting their time or possibly trapping themselves in the pipe.

That exactly happens, they find a ceiling carpet of bodies, pushing by suspension of disbelief to near breaking point, and they leave, with nothing to show for it. Exactly as they started. They contact the cops, the murder house is set aflame offscreen, never to be seen again, and sudden Mystery Man appears on top of the escort police car and bodily drags both cops out to kill them. Suspension of disbelief shattered, we got a magic baddie only to be later confirmed that it's some sort of organ stealing monster with wings and some lady who gets hardly any attention at all for what's essentially the tertiary protagonist winds up being some random prophet of events to come.

Put aside a completely random run-in with a shotgun-wielding Cat Lady you got a showdown at the police station in which the ****** looking monster is revealed and Brother is kidnapped to be the eyeless husk at an early end credits. Mm. Lovely.

So, in short, the tone, characters, story, bad guy, all pretty much get shot to hell by the second and third act. Just like a Final Destination movie, absolutely nothing of consequence is explained, the monster is some lame amalgamation of horror baddy costume ideas, the Fortuneteller adds absolutely nothing to the movie besides the completely disposable stinger ending, and the tie into the song "Jeepers Creepers" is a profoundly under-utilized asset I can only think either sounded clever to an amateur writer or was decided on as some thoroughly cheap marketing tool to chuck in the trailers and make this movie is some way memorable.

The gore we get is certainly macabre, but... it feels like they played it safe with that too. Not that I'd want it, but this strikes me as the sort of movie that had maybe a couple creative guys on it, but was possibly derailed into some dullard's attempt at "marketability". Virtually everything intended to look horrific is cast in near pitch black rooms. Maybe that would have been the best time to sneak in those garbage cuts to what's obviously supposed to be the same shot, but it's clearly from a separate part of the recording.

To be honest, it wasn't awful, in fact the beginning was pretty interesting. But it quickly became boring and just as quickly ended with plenty of loose ends and an all around, "Hrm. K. Watched that now." feeling.

Final Verdict:
[Just... Bad]

Attachments

Name:	jeep.jpg
Views:	933
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	36897   Click image for larger version

Name:	jeep1.png
Views:	646
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	36905  

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I liked Jeepers Creepers when I was younger and I hated the sequel. Even back then, I knew the decision to go back and "try to help" was a bad and half baked excuse just to get them back there.

After repeat viewings, I know it's bad but enjoy the cheese factor more.

Suspect's Reviews

Vice Squad
Crime Drama / English / 1982

[/center]
Glad someone reviewd this. Now I get to watch it after years of only hearing about it and wanting to see it. I'll read your review as soon as I do that.

I've been suspended from Twitter for suggesting people unglue their noses from the media's butts and consider due process instead of lynching Kevin Spacey for "coming out as gay as a means to distract from accusations of sexual assault" for which there is literally no evidence and the only "apology" I've found attributed to him is explicitly predicated on the assumption that it did in fact happen which he hasn't conceded to and claims not to remember.

So while I sit in Twitter jail waiting for Twitter's mods to get around to my scathing indictment of their automated moderation process which has previously suspended me because some *********** decided to report one of my posts in which I ask them for evidence in support of their claims... I might as well watch a couple movies.

Krampus
Horror / English / 2015

WHY'D I WATCH IT?
Well because it's Halloween, so obviously I'm going to a watch a Christmas movie.

"Why do we have to put up with their crap just because we share DNA?"

Dog, Garbage Food, Some Taxidermy Thing, the usual ****.

This was fun. In a weird way.

Krampus almost verges on comedy at moments, and it's self-awareness earns a few knowing eyebrows, but there's a degree to which the movie feels lazy. I dunno if I'd count the CG snow, the CG gingerbread men, or the somewhat CG(?) clown worm thing, but I do count the story in that because it's about as formulaic as it can get.

Estranged family is socially pressured to have Christmas together. Son is essentially bullied for still believing in Santa Claus and has his embarrassingly insightful letter read out at the dinner table (good parenting by the way), he temporarily loses his faith in Santa, shreds the letter, this summons Krampus, there's a period in which characters are picked off but the cause is not commonly accepted to be supernatural, something almost supernatural happens they all witness and then we have Knowing Old Woman deliver a "way back when on a night such as this" speech and yada yada yada, my eyes couldn't roll harder.

I grant the movie credit for at least subverting my expectations on a handful of occasions, such as not taking a jumpscare opportunity where I would expect a lesser movie to, and for the most part the movie's... not even a "slow burn", let alone scary I think. You expect creepy ****, that's a given, and you get it, but perhaps because the plot is so bog standard I wasn't really invested to the point of the movie getting to me. The characters are all either A.) blank slates, B.) ********, or C.) so neurotic and wound tight that I hadn't really much sympathy for when they overreacted to mildly offensive behavior on part of the other characters. The Dorothy character (I think her name is) has her well metaphorically poisoned from the outset by outright apologizing for her presence in the movie, essentially promising that she's some unforgivably ugly character, but really she just comes off as bluntly honest, if a bit insensitive at times.

Basically, I didn't really care who died and I wasn't terribly surprised by the order in which the go (although I didn't expect the kids to be so disposable).

Really, the shining light of this movie is more the concept and execution of that concept, the movie does a good job of portraying Krampus and his myriad Christmas-themed minions to be more of a presence than an individual, he's more of a force of nature than a killer and I liked that obfuscation of fantasy.

Check out "The Art of Krampus" by the way, cool stuff.

He does run headlong into a plothole regarding the Santa Clause-esque conditions under which he appears, if all it takes is for someone to lose faith in Santa Claus, then shouldn't the rest of Son's family have dealt with him already? Does Krampus really meaningfully distinguish between someone losing faith in Santa and ******** who would freely debauch the holiday and might never have had faith to begin with? I'm not a fan of the faith gambit anyway, whether we're talking Tim Allen or not.

Anyway, I like that Krampus's minions are increasingly grotesque perversions of established Christmas tropes. Krampus himself remains suitably unrevealed throughout the majority of the movie, seen only as a big hunched cloaked figure with awesome horns, and while I was at first hoping that they wouldn't reveal Krampus up-close and ruin the mood with a Jeepers Creepers type monster face, I was pleasantly surprised that they maintained the theme thus far and showed Krampus to be a desiccated Santa equivalent beneath the hood. He looks really freaky and it's difficult not to favor this design (with all the chains and bells and Bing Crosby substitute for Jeepers Creepers as "inappropriate stalking music") over the alternatives you're likely to find on Google Images.

Cool monster design.

Not one I would expect a child who still believes in Santa Claus to try and talk down with a straight face, that kid was NOT written realistically.

Final Verdict:
[Pretty Good]

Attachments

Name:	Screen shot 2017-10-31 at 6.32.11 PM.png
Views:	913
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	37287   Click image for larger version

Name:	krampus2.jpg
Views:	1589
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	37288  

Suspended from Twitter again for hate speech. No evidence, just an another automated response email flatly denying my appeal offering zero justification for punishing me. That's the third strike on my account and I haven't broken a single rule.

Guess I'll watch a movie or something...