Nostromo's Top 50 Cocktail Party

→ in
Tools    

#31. COFFY
(Jack Hill, 1973)

A black sista goes vigilante on an inner-city drug ring. Pam Grier takes on the pimps, mobsters, & drug dealers. The Queen of Blaxploitation showcases her talent & charisma to the max in Coffy. She's a nurse who must use her brains (and naturally, her body) to take vengeance on how her kid sister was mistreated by the scum of the ghetto. Still a dynamite movie 40+ years after its release

I love Jackie Brown so I must get my hands on these Pam Grier cult favorites really soon. Predator defines badass so +rep for that. The Thing is a classic I should have loved, but it didn't blow me away for some reason. Not a fan of Josey Wales but it's not a bad western.

The clouds parted, the sun shined down, & MoFo God himself decided it was meant to be.
This just made me laugh really hard.

All kinds of goodness now, Nostromo. Coffy and The Thing are both on my 100. Thriller, or The Making Of Thriller, was what had me looking at film with a more serious eye. Love The Outlaw Josey Wales and Predator is so much fun. Shame you weren't around for the commentary me and SC did this week.

I love Thriller! It's probably still the best music video clip of all time!

The Thing is also great entertainment and it has a few very clever things that I really like about it.

Coffy is badass as hell and Pam Grier is HOT!

Just caught up on your list, a few of my favourites

the Raise the Red lantern haven't watched it in ages must dust it off and give it another look

Josey Wales, The Thing, Predator, and Coffy are all awesome and super cool choices. I'm a big John Landis fan so it's also a nice surprise to see Thriller in there.

#30. MAJOR LEAGUE
(David S. Ward, 1989)

An exotic dancer inherits ownership of the Cleveland Indians and purposely puts together a horrible team so she can move the club to Miami. Notable appearances from Wesley Snipes as Willy Mayes-Hayes, the hilarious Bob Uecker as Harry Doyle the alcoholic play-by-play announcer, Charlie Sheen as Ricky Vaughn, and my personal favorite- Dennis Haysbert as Pedro Cerrano, who defected from Cuba on the basis of religious freedom. His religion? Voodoo. I'm sure i've mentioned it before, I've loved baseball since about the age of 5. As Humphrey Bogart once said, 'A hot dog at the ballgame beats roast beef at the Ritz.' This pick represents my fondness for the game. Really there are lots of movies i could have picked here, such as A League of Their Own, The Natural, Bull Durham, Field of Dreams, or The Sandlot. Ultimately I opt for Major League, bc i enjoy the humor, Jobu's voodoo black magic, & watching Charlie Sheen 'winning.' And i must mention Bob Uecker again:
Just a reminder fans about Die Hard Night coming up here in the stadium. Free admission to anyone who was actually alive the last time the Indians won the pennant

#29. THE TERMINATOR
#28. TERMINATOR 2: JUDGMENT DAY

(James Cameron, 1984, 1991)

The machines rose from the ashes of the nuclear fire. Their war to exterminate mankind had raged for decades, but the final battle would not be fought in the future. It would be fought here, in our present. Tonight. Time-traveling Cyborg Arnold hunts Sarah Conner (Linda Hamilton), as she is protected by Kyle Reese (Michael Biehn). The idea came in the form of a nightmare to James Cameron, previously a truck driver. And the result is a sci-fi 80's action flick for the ages. I give Terminator 2 the slight edge, bc it was one of those movies that had me completely spellbound on first viewing. I woke up in the middle of the night when i I was in college and put T2 in for the first time, and felt profoundly connected ... to a movie about time-traveling cyborgs! Strange, i know! Yet it hasn't let me down, especially T2.

#27. A CLOCKWORK ORANGE
(Stanley Kubrick, 1971)

Kubrick's strikingly visual adaption from the Anthony Burgess novel, this one is too compellingly sarcastic and satirical to leave off, for me. It was unlike anything else I'd seen upon first viewing, unique.
Alex DeLarge and his droogs get into some good ole mischief in futuristic Britain, Alex is arrested and eventually placed in the Ludovico treatment designed to 'cure' him. It's pretty disturbing and twisted at times, yet also bizarre and brilliant. It had been a wonderful evening and what I needed now, to give it the perfect ending, was a little of the Ludwig Van. Rarest-spun heaven metal

#26. DIE HARD
(John McTiernan, 1988)

Machiavellian Hans Gruber vs Smartass John McClane. One of the most compelling villain-hero relationships as we can never really be sure who has the upper hand during the runtime. Rickman plays Hans as if he's always got a trick up his sleeve, and is one of the great villain screen performances. I've mentioned before that my surname in life is Gruber. Whenever someone mispronounces my name, i tell them COME ON! It's Gruber, like Hans Gruber in Die Hard. And then they understand. The story follows Hans as he takes a Christmas party hostage at the Nakatomi Plaza in Los Angeles. Meanwhile Bruce Willis as John McClane the NYC cop delivers on a cool, confident, wisecracking & intelligent screenplay written by Jeb Stuart and Steven DeSouza. Slick, clever, and excellently paced.
Hey, it's Die Hard, Come out to the coast! We'll get together, have a few laughs

As great as it is seeing The Terminator, A Clockwork Orange, and Die Hard all in a row, seeing Major League on this list is an absolutely beautiful thing

#50. ENTER THE DRAGON
(Robert Clouse, 1973)

can't help but be drawn to Bruce Lee, he's just that good and charismatic. so unfortunate that this was his first and only big Hollywood production. He's had imitators and protégés, such as Jackie Chan, Chuck Norris, & others. But nobody else is the Godfather of Martial Arts films like Bruce. Toss in John Saxon and Jim Kelly with this one, and you've got a classic. Our three main players gather on an exotic island for a tournament hosted by the master criminal Han. How often do you get to witness a legend at the top of his game? This is one of those rare times with Bruce Lee

'What is the highest technique you hope to achieve?'
"To have no technique'

I finally saw Enter the Deragon for the first time a few years ago, despite a lifelong disdain for martial arts movies, but I really enjoyed it. It has not really motivated to explore the genre any further, but I did enjoy Enter the Dragon.