HollyG's Film Spree

→ in
Tools    

Is white trash beautiful
Ya I had a few war Nazi films on my list of stuff to watch,I think I'm gonna postpone those viewings for a little while, until I recover from watching Sophie's Choice, still a really good film tho.

Is white trash beautiful
Harold and Maude 1971 directed by Hal Ashby

I gotta say this is the second film that Ash is the gal has suggested and I have to say that I really did enjoy this film.Harold and Maude is about a young rich boy who has a dark obsession with death and a 79 year old woman who has a certain lust for life. Harold and Maude meet at a funeral and instantly bond, Harold is obsessed with anything to do with death and Maude loves to watch things grow and even tho their relationship is odd it works.

I liked this film alot and I have to say that my favorite thing about was the music score,Cat Stevens did an amazing job and the music fit the film perfectly.Its a good film,Its not normal and its defiantly not predictable but it is a bright,slightly moving dark comedy defiantly a film worth watching.

Maude- Dreyfus once wrote from Devils Island that he would see the most glorious birds.Many years later in Brittany he realized they had only been seagulls..... for me they will always be glorious birds.

Is white trash beautiful
The French Connection 1971 directed by William Friedkin

I have had the t.v and computer all to myself the last two days due to Plainview's shift change at work so I have been able to watch whatever I want,and I just finished watching Fredkins French Connection and I was very Impressed.I'm not gonna lie I kind of thought that I wouldn't like this film and the first 20 mins I wasn't to impressed but then I really got into it and I absolutely fell in love with it.This film is very impressive,stylish and pretty powerful.I know it won best picture that year and I still think Kubrick's masterpiece A Clockwork Orange should of won,but this is still a really great and entertaining film.The French Connection is a film about two cops that are working day in and day out to bust a Heroin smuggling ring that has a French Connection.

Gene Hackman played cop Jimmy Doyle and he played it perfectly and his portrayal of Jimmy Doyle in my opinion was one of his most powerful roles I have seen from him,so far.Roy Scheider played Det.Buddy Russo and he also very good,Hackman and Scheider had wonderful chemistry.Director Fredkin was successfully in making an intense film that blends action and cinematic realism,If your into films about criminals,cops,and drug trafficking then you should definitely check out this film.

Jimmy Doyle-" All right, Popeye's here! get your hands on your heads, get off the bar, and get on the wall!"

Is white trash beautiful
So I know I haven't really done much in this thread lately,I have just been busy enjoying the summer with my Lil ones.I have found my self getting a Lil bored lately so I thought this might give me something to do.Anyways Ive been watching alot of movies lately and here is one that I watched for the first time last week that I really enjoyed.

Breathless 1960 directed by Jean-luc Godard

I watched this film for the first time last week and I absolutely fell in love with Godard's classic Breathless.I have to say there is many things about this film that I enjoyed,and at first I wasn't sure if I would be able to sit through all the dialog and sometimes its gets boring but stick out because it is in my mind just a beautiful film.Breathless is a film about a car thief who commits a crime and then trys to convince an American woman who he loves to run away to Rome with him.Jean Seberg plays the American woman Patricia and she plays the part of a young but beautiful feisty woman who is not sure of her feelings for this new man in her life.Jean -Paul Belmondo Played the part of a car thief named Michel Poiccard and he did an amazing jo, I really enjoyed him in this film alot.
Breathless is a film that is simply just all about style. I enjoyed it so much I looked a few things up and I absolutely love Goddards quote that all you need to make a film is 'A gun and a girl".This film was shot by only two people,Godard and his cinematographer, Rouald and under a budget of $50,000.The film is just really great I love the detailing in each and every scene . Bottom line this is a great film,Godard did a wonderful job and the man who wrote the story Francois Truffaut (400 blows) also did a great job.
":
"When the French say a second, they mean five minutes"

Is white trash beautiful
Thanks Nebbit,Ya I really liked it to,I have been really enjoying Godard films rite now,I have a ton that I want to view over the next couple of weeks.

Is white trash beautiful
If I Want to Whistle, I Whistle (Eu cand vreau sa fluier, fluier) 2010 directed by Florin Serban

If I Want to Whistle,I Whistle Is a good intelligent film but defiantly not for everybody. I personally really enjoyed this film quite a bit. If you are looking for a film with a crazy prison break and lots of violence then do not watch this film.This film is a drama about a boy named Silviu who is incarcerated in youth prison in Romania. It's not your typical prison film,It is more of a character piece and the film focuses on the ups and downs of Silviu a week before he is supposed to be released. I have to say I was kind of shocked by this film because it was not what I expected at all and it was a pleasant surprise.I could see how people could dislike this film because its a little slow but thats because the whole film is about this one boy and the character Silviu is very interesting.Two Thumbs up for George Pistereanu he played Silviu and he did an Incredible job.If you like films that focus on one protagonist then is defiantly a film you should check out.

So, I see you decided against watching Children of Paradise then? Just in case I forget to tell you later...other Romanian films you should check out are 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (which I think you'll definitely like) and The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (which you might like - it's a little different).
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Is white trash beautiful
So, I see you decided against watching Children of Paradise then? Just in case I forget to tell you later...other Romanian films you should check out are 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days (which I think you'll definitely like) and The Death of Mr. Lazarescu (which you might like - it's a little different).
Ya I went with the Romanian film because honestly it was shorter and I was kind of tired but I am going to watch it some time this week. Im gonna watch a Danish film tonight but I do want to see 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 days do you by any chance have it on DVD??

Is white trash beautiful
Thanks for the suggestion HK,Babette's Feast looks interesting I will probably check it out this weekend.

Is white trash beautiful
4 Months,3 Weeks and 2 Days (4 luni, 3 saptamāni si 2 zile) 2007 directed by Christian Mungiu

4 Months,3 Weeks and 2 Days is a beautiful film about disturbing circumstances and the film is set in the late 80's in Communist Romania during the final years of Nicolae Ceausescu. This is an extremely emotional film about two young women dealing with real life issues.When I watched this film it was right before I went to bed and its probably not the best film to watch right before bed and not because its gory or scary but because it is one of those films that turns your brain on and once you see this film its hard not to constantly think about it. The direction of this film is perfect.The camera work is great and it's not flashy or cheesy and it fits the story quite well.

The film is about two young girls in their 20's.The film is based in Romania In 1987 when abortion is illegal. I don't want to give to many spoilers but to sum it up the film is about a girl Gabriela who is pregnant and forced to have an illegal abortion in a hotel room. We also meet Gabriela's roommate Otilia who agrees to help her friend but in the long end she ends up pretty much having to organize the whole thing.This film is hard to watch because of the controversial subject and because the acting is so well done that you can feel the main characters pain and its just a film that really gets to you emotionally. Its not really a film about wether abortion is right or wrong its more about these young girls experiences and their heart ache. If you have not seen this film I highly suggest it.