The Last Time The Police Had To Come To Your Street?

Tools    

I was going to say years and years ago. It was kids partying and the people next door somehow got involved. I think their kids tried to crash the party and it turned into a whole thing. Then my idiot neighbor's idiot brother had to get involved and got hurt. Cops eventually showed up and settled things down.

Anyway, that was years ago. But recently some people moved in (I think it's the exact same house where the party was years back) and they're kind of trashy. Park their cars on their lawn. Which quickly went from patchy grass to completely dirt. A veritable buttload of kids of all ages. And they never show any lights on, even at night. Blackout curtains. Their garage (the few times it's been open) is piled floor to ceiling with boxes. They sort of settled down a bit since an altercation between the teenage girls living there and another group of teenage girls. Insults were hurled as were rocks that broke the rear window of one of the many cars parked on the front lawn/patch of dirt. I was watching from my house and they later tried to get me involved as a witness but I told the cops I hadn't seen anything. Which was more or less true. They couldn't find a single neighbor that would step up for them. This was a nice quiet neighborhood before they moved in.

Street or whatever? For the past two days, this house across the street (and over one) had been playing music so loud for the past two days. I turned up my music loud, but it barely made a tent, for I only have these TV built-in speakers, while this moron (who is actually renting a room for the people he works for, who live there) is blasting the music from his car. The only time they stopped was when it started to thunderstorm yesterday evening. This morning, it woke me up at 4am this morning. I was so angry I had to shout towards them from my porch, knowing I'd never be able to go back to sleep. I doubt they heard a thing. I had actually called the police a few hours later, knowing they probably wouldn't show up. I didn't want to, but two days was more than enough. The houses are so close to each other, and I'm all for depopulation.

By almost 4pm, I see one guy go to the porch and smoke. So I tried to get his attention, and I yelled some expletives and commented "Hearing this garbage since 4am". Minutes later, I hear a pounding. I'm thinking, "It can't be here, but it's so loud. Maybe someone is pounding on my car?"... My first thought is if I should get my pistol, but I thought I'd take a look outside my window. The neighbor next door (burglar/racist) went to their house, and pounded on the door. A lot of expletives, including the n-word, followed by, "I'll burn your house down".. And as he walked away, he shouted, "WHITE POWER".

Then I see more neighbors coming outside, and I see two of the guys from the loud car/house go over there, which seemed peaceful at first, but then I hear threats, and everyone is armed. I live in an open-carry state, so I could see everyone and their gun holstered for everyone to see (law).

Then the police come. They talk to one awful neighbor, and they try to act like good people, when the racist/burglar just had a run-in with another neighbor, and more threats, etc... The cops go to the other house, and the minute they leave, the guy turns his stereo so loud. I go outside, but not before slamming the door, just so my displeasure is known, and then slammed it back, and here I am. I'm just wondering if anything happens tonight.

Someone on the next street was just murdered by a neighbor a few weeks ago according to my I just heard two gunshots. I better go get mine. I waited a bit to peek out my back door, and I would guess it's my next door burglar/racist shooting, which makes me want to shoot a few rounds, but I don't need police coming back in a bad mood. Good thing I didn't follow through with my original plans!
I've lived in some tough places but I would be out of Flint in a hurry.

Since I live in a valley, not much goes on. The last time the police came was because of the gypsies camping in a public park. I don't have a problem with them, they cut some bambu that they use for fishing, although fishing is illegal, but that's reasonable, they do it for eating not sport. They sing their songs by the fire, which I like, they never do it after hours, they sleep, just like I do. I do have a problem with kids, some older than me, that come here and scream all night, but people don't care about them because they ain't gypsies, they're just spoiled youngsters that want to say they spent a night out, and I'm sure their parents kind of like that, not having them around.

The prejudice in every society is alarming, and the gypsies are probably the most marginalized race, they got no voice, and they don't play the victims card. For instance, did you know that Hitler in the latest research killed an estimated 1.5 million to 2 million gypsies? No one cares, they are gypsies, they don't play by our rules, they don't buy our clothes, our houses, our cars, they live from here to there, they camp in places we consider public, but they aren't part of the public.
Which country are you in? Portugal? Can’t remember.

Thank you for the detailed story!

I definitely know about the Roma, and YouTube is full of some fascinating documentary, interviews, footage, etc.. From what I've read, it seems like they came from India, split in Northern Iraq, where some went to Egypt (which might explain the name)
Definitely they got their name from “Egypt”. But IIRC, they were never actually in Egypt: people thought they were because of their darkish skin. Definitely from India originally.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I don't know why yet, but the police were here about two hours ago. There were about 5 or 6 police and fire department vehicles with flashing lights, (no sirens), and at least one ambulance.

We were eating dinner, so we didn't go outside to ask what was going on, but apparently everyone else thought it was a good time to walk their dogs when the lights started flashing. (I didn't know that people with dogs could synchronize their pets' bathroom breaks like that. )

I'll probably find out what happened tomorrow.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I can't think of a time since I've lived here when the police were on our street, except perhaps the first year we were here and someone broke into my car and stole my digital recorder. I caught him in the act (we had driveway sensors that went off when he came down the driveway) and stupidly ran out the back door yelling at him to stop, then followed him out the driveway and saw which way he went before calling the police. Turns out two other locals had called about him within the same few minutes, so they caught him within the hour and called me back to update me. He had the recorder on him (which had my name on it). He'd broken into a half dozen cars before he was caught.

That was the big, exciting event in our neighborhood, which is usually dull and quiet. Fine with me.

I can't think of a time since I've lived here when the police were on our street, except perhaps the first year we were here and someone broke into my car and stole my digital recorder. I caught him in the act (we had driveway sensors that went off when he came down the driveway) and stupidly ran out the back door yelling at him to stop, then followed him out the driveway and saw which way he went before calling the police. Turns out two other locals had called about him within the same few minutes, so they caught him within the hour and called me back to update me. He had the recorder on him (which had my name on it). He'd broken into a half dozen cars before he was caught.

That was the big, exciting event in our neighborhood, which is usually dull and quiet. Fine with me.
Oh yeah, I kept the police log article about it. It was nine years ago:

You ready? You look ready.
Prowling at night.

Geez, anything to tack on an extra charge.

Too bad they don’t have a howling at night law, too. Cuz I got some dogs I’d like to report. lol

Prowling at night.

Too bad they don’t have a howling at night law, too. Cuz I got some dogs I’d like to report. lol
I'm guessing the prowling at night was because he was coming onto private property to get to some of the cars (like mine, which was parked a long way off the street, down our driveway, right next to the back porch).

Still, since he pled guilty, there was no trial and I didn't have to testify. And eventually I got my voice recorder back.

Oh yeah, I kept the police log article about it. It was nine years ago:

Good police work. They found the missing cigarette lighter.

Prowling at night.

Might seem amusing to you, but the last thing we need on our street is some lunatic “prowling at night”. Don’t come anywhere near my fence, my locked gate or any part of my house.

Might seem amusing to you, but the last thing we need on our street is some lunatic “prowling at night”. Don’t come anywhere near my fence, my locked gate or any part of my house.
My thoughts as well. When you're home alone in the middle of the night when that guy is "prowling at night" (as I was), it's a completely different feeling. The man had crept up our driveway (about 100 feet), right up near the back door, to get to my car. I'm glad the police responded as quickly as they did, and that they took the time to call me back to let me know he had been apprehended. I slept better.

Good police work. They found the missing cigarette lighter.
I know, right? As I reread that article, I realized that the MP3 player was also mine (but didn't have my name on it). When I saw the list of items, I realized that he'd nabbed that too. So I took a printout of the receipt from Amazon (which had a picture of the item) when I went to get the voice recorder. Yup, it was my MP3 player. I thought the police handled the situation well, all things considered.

My thoughts as well. When you're home alone in the middle of the night when that guy is "prowling at night" (as I was), it's a completely different feeling. The man had crept up our driveway (about 100 feet), right up near the back door, to get to my car. I'm glad the police responded as quickly as they did, and that they took the time to call me back to let me know he had been apprehended. I slept better.
My local police tell me in all their years they’ve never had a break-in where the house has a dog. (We don’t.) My hugest fear has always been a home invasion. Highly unlikely as our house has an alarm on every door & window & a barbed wire fence, but, still ….

My local police tell me in all their years they’ve never had a break-in where the house has a dog. (We don’t.) My hugest fear has always been a home invasion. Highly unlikely as our house has an alarm on every door & window & a barbed wire fence, but, still ….
We too have all the windows and doors set with alarms, plus a bunch of security cams aimed at every entrance and way onto the property. Still...

We also do not have a dog (hubby's not a fan), but I can imagine the barks of a dog would scare off most potential intruders, for sure. Dogs are unquantifiable variables.

You ready? You look ready.
I understand the prowling at night law. I just find it's verbiage amusing.

Prowling is dangerous here. Liable to get you shot than arrest.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

We too have all the windows and doors set with alarms, plus a bunch of security cams aimed at every entrance and way onto the property. Still...

We also do not have a dog (hubby's not a fan), but I can imagine the barks of a dog would scare off most potential intruders, for sure. Dogs are unquantifiable variables.
Yes, even the smallest dog can be ferocious & the “prowler” has no idea what kind of dog is actually inside & how big it is. As you say, the barking itself will suffice.

I love dogs, but have never actually owned one of my own. We’ve turned into cat people somehow.

Prowling is dangerous here. Liable to get you shot than arrest.
Same where I live. My semi-rural neighborhood (1.5 to 5 acre lots) has a high gun ownership percentage, probably >90%. Prowling here at night can get you hurt. The Amazon delivery folks have told me that they are afraid to make after-dark deliveries in my neighborhood. I leave the (very bright) outdoor lights on when I know they are going to be delivering on the late side.

My wife and I don't have guns -- we rely on attack cats.

I see the cops all the time, can't really remember the last time.

The last memorable time is someone got shot a few houses down the police had my driveway blocked off.