Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Spell 2022

Very run or the mill stuff, think "Misery" but in the deep south with voodoo. It was by no means terrible and had some nice visual flourishes. Black cinema too I guess if that's your thing or maybe just everyone happened to be black, I don't know, I do like Omari Hardwick in anything, he has a good screen presence bet yeah overall nothing to shout home about and this will be forgotten in time.

Nope (2022) 2.5/5

I just think the script wasn't there. The cast is great, but Daniel Kaluuya is doing his best laconic cowboy without much back story. He seems to be the lead. Keke Palmer and her relentless energy really carrry the movie. Steve Yuen's character is the only one with any back story. The character of the cinematographer and the nosy IT geek are both pretty entertaining..

The movie doesn't really get rolling until we are into the action of fighting the alien. Once the action begins I really enjoyed it. But the set up was ham fisted and that is about half the movie.. If, as Jordan Peele says, this movie is about spectacle; it probably should have centered around the family that owned the fairground. That would be the quickest fix to this movie that just doesn't hold together well.
I don't know. I was disappointed. It needed work.

Victim of The Night
Baseball is just used as a metaphor in the film, but I wonder if not being an American hurt my perspective on the whole film. There's a sense of nostalgia and emotion surrounding baseball that I don't see in other sporting films that come from the States. I had a feeling that this was going to be one of those films that you'd probably like, and my main problem wasn't that there was anything wrong the film - it was perfect - it was just that it didn't speak to me in an emotional kind of way.
That is an excellent point.

Victim of The Night
Nope (2022) 2.5/5

I just think the script wasn't there. The cast is great, but Daniel Kaluuya is doing his best laconic cowboy without much back story. He seems to be the lead. Keke Palmer and her relentless energy really carrry the movie. Steve Yuen's character is the only one with any back story. The character of the cinematographer and the nosy IT geek are both pretty entertaining..

The movie doesn't really get rolling until we are into the action of fighting the alien. Once the action begins I really enjoyed it. But the set up was ham fisted and that is about half the movie.. If, as Jordan Peele says, this movie is about spectacle; it probably should have centered around the family that owned the fairground. That would be the quickest fix to this movie that just doesn't hold together well.
I don't know. I was disappointed. It needed work.
Oh man. I felt like I knew his whole life. I thought it was implied in the script and his performance, his feelings about living up to his father and not being ready and not being good enough and his desperate need to keep the ranch to keep from failing his late father and all that, despite being kind of a shy, introverted guy... Man, I got every bit of that. That's why I liked the movie so much because Peele and Kaluuya gave me all that without having to come right out and say it.
I thought this movie proved that Peele is a better filmmaker than his material and may just have to move even deeper into expressing the human condition to reach his zenith.

Oh man. I felt like I knew his whole life. I thought it was implied in the script and his performance, his feelings about living up to his father and not being ready and not being good enough and his desperate need to keep the ranch to keep from failing his late father and all that, despite being kind of a shy, introverted guy... Man, I got every bit of that. .
Yeah I saw that but I saw it principally as the family's back story.
then again I may be grasping at straws to explain why I was left a bit bored by the beginning of the film. Things within the film just felt a little too disconnected to me.

Perfect Blue is an anime thriller about a pop star named Mima whose life begins to unravel when she decides to quit singing and become an actress. She soon finds an online blog that knows way too much about her and which criticizes her risqué acting jobs that are contrary to her previously innocent public image. Is this the work of a deranged fan or is Mima's conscience causing her to lose her grip on reality?

I was into Perfect Blue for the first half or so, but by the end, it had gradually lost both my understanding and my interest. I like its portrayal of the dark side of being a celebrity, particularly for a pretty girl. Mima has fans way too involved in her personal life who at various times cross the line into stalker territory. She's also pressured into doing sexually explicit shoots, while at the same time warned that such media can make some fans look down on her. She sees this criticism firsthand on the blog, which I thought was an accurate representation of the "holier than thou" attitude of internet users.

Perfect Blue lost me when it started to get more surreal and gave some unsatisfactory answers to its mysteries. In the second half of the movie, scenes repeat themselves and are revealed to be movie scenes so often that I no longer knew which way was up. Eventually, we get a solid answer to what's happening, but even that just creates more questions. This all adds up to a movie with good parts, but frustrating as a whole.

Black Adam (2022)

Man you just want to suck up and roll around in all of this sweet sweet diversity and wokeness. Look most comic adaptations nowadays are trash we know if a character is supposed to be a moral agent of goodness and change they have to be black. But the pretzel this film twists itself into because they have to cast stereotypes and foster positive cliches is part one that kills the film.
Two thumbs way up for your commentary!.. Don't tell me they left out a lesbian character!

The trick is not minding
Blonde

A surrealist, psychological horror disguised as a biopic

https://boxd.it/3phc0b

4.5/5
I liked this film, and definitely need to rewatch this, where I might upgrade its rating, but for now, it’s about 3.5/5 for me.

I wish they would have included Sinatra, who was a huge part of her later life. I think he may have even introduced her to JFK? Would have been interesting to see that portrayal. But that’s a minor quibble. The film is quite good.

Your analogy correction doesn’t work because my point is you’ve made a categorical mistake in your assessment of this film (and McDonagh’s filmography, it seems). You’re judging them by what you are wrongly expecting them to be rather than what they are.

I also already posted my letterboxd review that explains why I loved it (it’s also gotten critical rave reviews and virtually everyone posting about it on Reddit/Twitter is explaining why they enjoyed it, so you could look around a little if you’re actually curious).

I’ll repost the letterboxd in case you are:

https://boxd.it/3ouX4L
I admit that my feeling about movies is that they should be clear and communicate. I read the posting and it seemed like a case of over-interpretation. I don't want to explore subtexts, allegories and symbols and don't want to read about what it all means when the overt story and setting are dismal. So we have these two guys carrying on a non-violent, self destructive blood feud, choking a poor donkey with severed fingers in a bleak landscape on an island suited for nothing but perhaps a few shots by a minimalist photographer. Most of the island is covered with ancient stone walls, intended to capture whatever soil doesn't blow away so you can grow meager crops that undernourished islanders eat until they die. A revolution is going on but it doesn't bother with this island. The lone female interest realized that she will wither on this dismal outpost and has left so it's blight will not get to her. When it's all done (or done in), these two guys end up staying in this place, minus some fingers and a donkey and a girlfriend, their brains decaying by the day until this place actually seems OK. I'll guess that, once she escaped, Siobhan never looked back.

I've seen the rave reviews. I don't get some people's fascination with inbred minimalism but somehow it seems to appeal. I wake up every day, glad I don't live in a place like that with it's walls, traditions and pints. No matter how much I try to read into this movie, it works in one sense that it successfully communicates hopelessness and isolation, but I really don't want to go there and don't see the fascination. I did give it two popcorns for nice imagery of all the dismalness and good acting, but it was a relief to leave the theater and I don't get what about it is a comedy. It's really pretty sad.

I liked this film, and definitely need to rewatch this, where I might upgrade its rating, but for now, it’s about 3.5/5 for me.

I wish they would have included Sinatra, who was a huge part of her later life. I think he may have even introduced her to JFK? Would have been interesting to see that portrayal. But that’s a minor quibble. The film is quite good.
I rank it so highly because I’m in love with the craft. I have a general affinity for films where the director throws every technical trick he knows at the screen (see: Coppola’s Dracula) and Dominik seemingly knows a ton of tricks. It gave the film a unique feel that would’ve stood out even if were less about the subjective experience of an unravelling Monroe.

I also keep thinking back at how banal, manipulative, shallow and ultimately well received “Judy” was and how it seems to be the template that critics WANTED for this film. To “reclaim” Monroe’s legacy and give us an inspiring tale of strength despite mental illness and addiction. In other words, to lie to us.

It’s ironic that the film that claims to be based on a fictional novel rather than a straight up biopic (admitting it’s flagrant falsehoods), likely gets a great deal closer to the “truth” of its subject.

I I don't want to explore subtexts, allegories and symbols and don't want to read about what it all means when the overt story and setting are dismal.
Well… Black Adam is still in theaters. I hear it’s better than the last few DCU films.

The trick is not minding
I rank it so highly because I’m in love with the craft. I have a general affinity for films where the director throws every technical trick he knows at the screen (see: Coppola’s Dracula) and Dominik seemingly knows a ton of tricks. It gave the film a unique feel that would’ve stood out even if were less about the subjective experience of an unravelling Monroe.

I also keep thinking back at how banal, manipulative, shallow and ultimately well received “Judy” was and how it seems to be the template that critics WANTED for this film. To “reclaim” Monroe’s legacy and give us an inspiring tale of strength despite mental illness and addiction. In other words, to lie to us.

It’s ironic that the film that claims to be based on a fictional novel rather than a straight up biopic (admitting it’s flagrant falsehoods), likely gets a great deal closer to the “truth” of its subject.
Right. And there are many who claim this film Disrespects her legacy, but honestly, what legacy was that? Was she not difficult to work with? Was she not insecure and constantly craving an ersatz father figure in the much older men she dated and married? She was a mess, and as such, her life is depicted as one. *

The fact she is also treated as a victim, mainly taken advantage of by all the men surrounding her (Mr “Z”, her make up artist, Chaplin jr and Robinson jr, and finally JFK (!) ) adds an extra layer of tragedy to the film, because let’s face it, her life was tragic, she was taken advantage of often, while those who should have cared for her were too busy feeling sorry for their own selves.

Yeah, a lot is made up, but it’s still pretty true to the myth and legend that is Monroe. It helps that I’m a fan of the director (Killing Them Softly is likely making my ballot for the upcoming countdown).

I haven’t seen Judy yet, but I aim to soon.

I'll add an egg roll

Partly for variety and partly in case anyone gets peckish from rolling their eyes.

I mean you guys can roll your eyes but when you ignore continuity for PC reasoning that hurts films. Hawkman...who has no problem in the comics is working for this woman. That we saw in the movies

So the central theme of the film...Black Adam is a bad guy because he kills is dumb. Now they could have picked non-murdering characters to argue against murder in the film but they didn't do that.

And because you did a pair of dumb race swaps the second message of the film. The JSA exist to keep countries stable...they are literal white knights. Kahndaq is being occupied and the JSA did nothing about it. They had one job make a film criticizing America's foreign policy and they muddled the metaphor by engaging in cheap marketing gimmick that re-writes an 80 year old character and ignores the continuity of another character. And worse of all you have a character on the team that is all-knowing in Doctor Fate.