Let's Talk "Transfer..."

Tools    

(As some of you know...) I am a "Transfer Junkie."

Meaning that even though I have a vast film collection of varying titles, many of these titles come in "duplicates" because these same titles may offer different "perks" (like different special features) or "aesthetics" (like viewing said film in a VHS format to a DVD to a Blu-Ray, etc.) that I may come to enjoy at one point or another in my viewing experience.

Lets talk the first,

"Perks/Special Features"

As far as my own collection is concerned, I feel I'm just beginning to "touch" the tip of the iceberg here as I'm saving my pennies to import a LaserDisc player, (which plays not only PAL, but NTSC too). European LaserDisc Players, (as far as my knowledge), were the only LDP to play both NTSC and PAL.

(Regardless of this minor diatribe), some of the "Perks" of LaserDisc, (especially in Criterion Laserdiscs), were lost in the DVD/Blu-Ray crossover. LaserDisc allowed you to view a film in "stop-motion." And you had the ability to "analyze" a sequence "frame-by-frame"/"stop-by-stop" "forward-and-reverse." To my knowledge DVD and Blu-ray all but did away with this perk.

"Special Feature"-wise, some of the LaserDisc commentaries and bonuses never transferred over to their DVD/Blu-Ray counterparts. So, (if your like me and your curious about these said perks), investing in such a player is really worth your while.

But also speaking "Special Features and Perks" outside of LaserDisc market... investing in a region-free DVD/Blu-Ray player has been a Godsend, (almost wrote "Godspend" ), because (many times) different region films offer different "Special Features and Perks." Especially between companies like "Criterion," "Eureka: Masters of Cinema," or "Second Run." I often find myself, (when I have it to spend), dropping dough on a single film 2 or 3+ times just to get all the "Perks and Special Features" I want for the film itself, and this leads me to my second point:

The Cinematic "Aesthetics": From "Lo-Fi" to "Hi-Fi"

Now, (even though I'm eager to get LaserDisc, Betamax, HD, etc. ...), Here's the truth of it all I've found...

Now I own a region-free VHS Player, (it plays NTSC, PAL, SECAM, you name it ...), and here's the God's honest truth... some films just simply "play" better on a VHS! B-grade slashers, many 80's horror, blaxploitation and "xploitation" films, grindhouse, etc. ... they just give such a better "feel and vibe" on a VHS player. There's something really cool about maybe staying up a night, hearing that "hum" of a VHS player and watching a really low-budget horror film. I'll be completely honest here, watching these same films in a "higher definition" via DVD/Blu-Ray ... it really loses some of the "spark/charm." There's something really pleasing about the player having to "track" and the sound and video going out, coming back, and still the quality looks downright horrid. You literally have to "work it" sometimes because what people "say" is hard to hear and what people "do" is sometimes hard to make out. In a word: "Bliss."

But there again, not all transfers were created equal. I'd rather watch something like The Godfather or Chinatown or Citizen Kane in a higher-definition. They are more respectable works and often I enjoy watching them as such.

But again too, if you're hunting films via different region codings, (especially between the likes of say "Criterion/Janus" and "Eureka: Masters of Cinema"), different transfers often have differing interpretations. And each of these interpretations has a merit in itself, (unless director approved). One need only look to www.dvdbeaver.com to see what I'm talking about here. Viewing the same film with "differing" interpretation is often like seeing the film anew. It's priceless experience and I highly recommend it!

In Conclusion

Do you "Transfer Collect?" Or to put another way, "How do you Collect/Watch your Collection(s)?"
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Hey DSM, if you're interested in all kinds of transfers, Scarecrow Video in Seattle is offering a rent by mail option. I looked up the rules didn't see anything about it being local only.

Here's the link, Scarecrow Rent By Mail.

Hey DSM, if you're interested in all kinds of transfers, Scarecrow Video in Seattle is offering a rent by mail option. I looked up the rules didn't see anything about it being local only.

Here's the link, Scarecrow Rent By Mail.

YES!!!

Thank You, Loner!

I knew of this place but I had no idea they offered this service! Sooo, good!!! I'll definitely check into it!

[I'm saving my pennies to import a LaserDisc player, (which plays not only PAL, but NTSC too).
No clue what a laserdisc player is, but why not just buy a multi-region DVD player? I have one & they’re not expensive.

You’re the disease, and I’m the cure.
No clue what a laserdisc player is, but why not just buy a multi-region DVD player? I have one & they’re not expensive.

Also, I already own a multi-region DVD/Blu-ray player...