Young Guns

Tools    

Rodent while watching Young Guns.

He grows an extra face at these moments so he can watch both televisions playing the movie.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Snapshot_20130307.JPG
Views:	854
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	11039  

I said in the review I wrote... first ever review I ever wrote in fact...

Even though the film is excellent as it is, being as close to reality as they managed to make it... but if they had kept more to the reality of the War, it would probably have made a more interesting film.

I forgot to say... LG Murphy, the lead antagonist in the film wasn't really part of the War...

Murphy was on his death bed for most of it after he sold his share of the business to Dolan and Riley.

But keep going. There are other people out there who need your wisdom.

Read this... then restart the film and watch the sequel afterward... makes for an interesting read.

John Henry Tunstall had just turned 23 when he arrived in Lincoln County, New Mexico, and aligned himself with Alexander McSween, an attorney, and John Chisum, one of the West’s most prosperous cattlemen, who had pushed his Long Rail brand and jinglebob herds into the Pecos Valley in the early 1870s. Born and raised in England, Tunstall observed that land could be bought cheap in New Mexico, and he could make a sizeable fortune on terra firma and livestock. In the wildest reaches of the Southwest, where government was rudimentary or nonexistent, a special breed of men flourished against superior odds, and Tunstall, "the wealthy Englishman" was one of these men.
The chaos that followed on the heels of Tunstall’s arrival spawned a gunfighting subspecies that pitted the Tunstall-Chisum-McSween factions against a solitary businessman named Lawrence Murphy, owner of a huge general store called The House. Murphy controlled the law in town, along with everything else.

Murphy eventually sold his establishment to two Irishmen, named John Riley and J.J. Dolan, who then, held most of the trump cards.

The Tunstall-Chisum-McSween faction objected to the idea that mere merchants should have control of government contracts for supplying beef to Army posts and Indian reservations. The crooked, influential officials were known as the Santa Fe Ring, and consisted of corrupt Republican officeholders who kept profits on contracts sky-high to feather their own nests. Various small ranchers turned against Chisum, for occupying public grazing for his great herds. Collectively, the small ranchers sided with owners of The House.
Tunstall was badly mistaken if he thought The House was going to stand idly by and let him erect his general merchandise store in Lincoln. Competition wasn't welcome.

In the fall of 1877, Henry McCarty, (aka; Kid Antrim who we will come to know as Billy The Kid), joined up with Tunstall. Tunstall hired Dick Brewer, who had a common interest in horse-breeding, to look after his ranch, presumably on the theory that he was best equipped to handle his own kind. Born in Vermont, Brewer, a big man with cannon arms, was raised in Wisconsin, and migrated to Los Feliz River in Lincoln County when his wife ran off with another man. Here, he worked hard and kept to himself, having few outside friends and trusting no one. Since fighters of the Lincoln County War were recruited from the ranks of the toughest gunfighters available - men who could not only shoot straight, but also ride hard and long - Brewer’s involvement was an enduring one.

On February 18th 1878, friction could hardly have been avoided because corruption in high places dictated that the proprietors of The House could obtain a court order that attached some of Tunstall’s livestock as payment of an unsettled debt of McSween and Chisum.

When Tunstall refused to turn the animals over as this debt wasn't his to pay, Sheriff William Brady who kowtowed to the House faction, put hot-tempered William Morton personally in charge of tracking down and apprehending Tunstall’s livestock. McCarty and several other Tunstall riders took to their heels when they saw the posse approaching. While McCarty spurred his horse forward to warn Brewer and Widenmann, John Middleton rode towards Tunstall and yelled out “For God’s sake, follow me!” as the others all headed for cover behind some rocks.
“What John…what?” were Tunstall’s last remembered words.

Tunstall's men were close enough to see Tunstall stand his ground and order the posse off his property. They were also close enough to see Jesse Evans shoot Tunstall through the chest. While he was on the ground, Morton took Tunstall’s gun from its scabbard and shot him through the head, then smashed Tunstall’s skull with the butt of his own rifle.
Tunstall was only 24 at the time of his murder.

Dick Brewer was then appointed Special Constable by the Justice Of The Peace with a number of Tunstall's men as his deputies including Henry McCarty and Charlie Bowdre, to serve murder warrants on Tunstall’s killers. At dawn, scores of mounted men gathered, consisting of Tunstall supporters who called themselves "The Regulators". They were carrying six-guns, rifles, and shotguns, and were weighted down with available ammunition. Instinctively, each man knew that the object was to get Tunstall’s cowardly killers and they galloped toward Lincoln.

On March 2, 1878, The Regulators, including Charlie Bowdre, Dick Brewer, Doc Scurlock and Henry McCarty galloped across the hard-scrabble land in search of the men who had gunned down Tunstall.
Four days later they captured Frank Baker and Billy Morton. They shot them execution-style and left them for the buzzards in the Seven Rivers district. Their efforts had been resisted however, by one of their own, William McCloskey, who was a friend of Morton. McCloskey was murdered during the time of Baker and Morton's execution.
The Regulators claimed that it was Morton who had murdered McCloskey and then tried to escape with Baker, forcing them to kill the two prisoners. Few believed the story, finding the idea that Morton would have killed his only friend in the group implausible.

The Regulators never gave up in hunting down Tunstall’s killers. For the most part, The Regulators were organized in a quasi-military fashion and exercised their own judgment as to methods of disposing of their enemies. A typical incident was Henry McCarty’s disposal of Sheriff Brady, which took place on April Fool’s Day, 1878.

This lethal showdown made Henry McCarty's nickname "Billy the Kid" famous far beyond his locality.

On April 1, 1878, Sheriff Brady and two deputies, George Hindman and Billy Mathews were walking down the street opposite the courthouse when several men opened fire from behind an adobe wall. They were Henry McCarty, Charlie Bowdre, Fred Waite, Tom O’Folliard and Frank McNab. Pistols and six guns spat lead, and Brady and Hindman fell. Mathews ran and made it to safety. While McCarty was a good shot, he was given credit for ALL the killings, bringing his tally closer to the famous 21.

Three days later on April 4th, 1878, The Regulators happened upon Andrew "Buckshot" Roberts which resulted in "The Gunfight At Blazer’s Mill" on the Tularosa. Bowdre had an abiding dislike for Roberts, so he immediately shot Roberts in the groin. But Roberts didn’t die easy, he killed Dick Brewer and wounded John Middleton and shot George Coe through the hand which blew his trigger finger off. Doc Scurlock was also wounded, along with shooting Charlie Bowdre in the gunbelt and grazing Henry McCarty, the bullet not even breaking the skin.
Ironically, Roberts had nothing to do with killing Tunstall. Curiously, the Lincoln County authorities failed to charge Charlie Bowdre with the Roberts murder. However, on April 12, 1878, a Grand Jury warrant was issued against him in Cause #411, and then he was a man on the dodge with a price on his head.

After Brewer's death, Frank McNab was elected Captain of The Regulators.

On April 29th, 1878, a posse including the Jesse Evans Gang and the Seven Rivers Warriors, under the direction of Sheriff Peppin, engaged Regulators Frank McNab, Ab Saunders and Frank Coe in a shootout at the Fritz Ranch.
McNab was killed in a hail of gunfire, with Saunders being badly wounded, and Frank Coe captured. On April 30, 1878, Seven Rivers members Tom Green, Charles Marshall, Jim Patterson and John Galvin were killed in Lincoln, and although The Regulators were blamed, that was never proven, and there were feuds going on inside the Seven Rivers Warriors at that time.
Frank Coe escaped custody some time after his capture, although it is not clear exactly when, allegedly with the assistance of Deputy Sheriff Wallace Olinger, who also gave him a pistol. What is known about the morning following McNab's death is that The Regulators took up defensive positions in the town of Lincoln, trading shots with Dolan men as well as U.S. Cavalrymen. The only casualty was "Dutch Charlie" Kruling, a Dolan man wounded by a rifle slug fired by George Coe at a distance of 440yards (400m).
By shooting at government troops, The Regulators gained their animosity and a whole new set of enemies.

On May 15th, 1878, they tracked Manuel Segovia to Jimmy Dolan’s Seven River’s cowcamp in the immense wilderness executed him.

Alex McSween was by now, in the splendid position of placing his own law enforcement in Lincoln County, and the Dolan faction wasn’t strong enough to oust the McSween forces until soldiers from adjacent Fort Stanton chased McSween’s men out of town.

On July 15th, 1878, The Regulators returned to Lincoln and were surrounded at the McSween house the Ellis Store and other locations. In the McSween house were Alex McSween and his wife Susan, Henry McCarty, Henry Brown, Jim French, Tom O'Folliard, Jose Chavez y Chavez, George Coe, Joe Smith, Tom Cullens, a group of children and a dozen Hispanic Regulators. In the Ellis Store were Doc Scurlock, Charlie Bowdre, John Middleton, Frank Coe, and several others. About twenty Hispanic Regulators, led by Josefita Chavez, were also positioned in various places around town.

Facing them were the Murphy-Dolan-Riley faction and the Seven Rivers cowboys.

Over the next three days, shots and shouts were exchanged but nothing approached an all-out fight.
One fatality was one of the McSween defenders, Tom Cullens, killed by a stray bullet.
Another was Dolan cowboy Charlie Crawford, shot at a distance of 500 yards (460m) by Doc Scurlock's father-in-law, Fernando Herrera. Around this time, Henry Brown, George Coe, and Joe Smith slipped out of the McSween house and headed to the Tunstall store, where they chased two Dolan men into an outhouse with rifle fire and forced them to dive into the bottom to escape.
The impasse remained until the arrival of U.S. troops under the command of Colonel Nathan Dudley. When these troops pointed cannons at the Ellis store and other positions, Doc Scurlock and his men broke from their positions, as did Josefita Chavez's cowboys The Hispanics, leaving those left in the McSween house to their fate.

On the late afternoon of July 19, 1878, McSween’s house went up in flames, as the flames spread and night fell, Susan McSween and another woman and the five children were granted safe passage out of the house while the men inside continued to fight the fire. At around 9pm, the occupants fled from the house, they were shot down.

Alex McSween was killed, others escaped, including Henry McCarty, who later united with Bowdre. With McSween’s death, the monumental feud was declared officially over.
In the following days it became plain that anyone who had sided with McSween was no longer safe in Lincoln County.

On August 5, 1878, Henry McCarty, Jim French, Henry Brown, Charlie Bowdre, John Middleton, Ignacio Gonzales, Fernando Herrera, Esiquio Sanchez, and Atanacio Martinez rode to the Mescalero Indian Reservation hell-bent on stealing fresh horses that were speedy enough to outrun any posse. The Anglos stopped to rest their horses, while the others kept going. Reservation Clerk Morris Bernstein spotted them, and wanted to know what they were doing. Martinez shot him through the heart. Although everyone knew who killed Bernstein, McCarty was still blamed for the murder.

The San Miguel County Probate Court records show that Bowdre married Manuela Gonzales, Fernando Herrera’s daughter, who was barely 13 years old, in 1878. Doc Surlock married his other daughter, and the foursome moved their families ninety miles northeast of Fort Sumner. Traveling with them were the last of the old Regulators, Tom O’Folliard and Henry McCarty. Scurlock eventually moved to Texas and urged Bowdre to come along, but Bowdre refused to leave his beloved New Mexico, even though his "Wanted" poster was everywhere.

On the sparsely populated frontier, Pete Maxwell built a ramshackle ranch near Fort Sumner and raised cattle. Bowdre went to work for him. Meanwhile, Henry McCarty lived in a powder-keg situation, imbued with the frontier psychology of survival of the fittest, and the best shot would win. He organized a gang of iron-nerved horse thieves that included Tom O’Folliard, Dave Rudabaugh, Tom Pickett, and Billy Wilson.
They were fiercely dedicated to swiping horses from central New Mexico to the Texas Panhandle and selling them to the highest bidder. In desperation, New Mexico cattlemen elected Patrick Garrett, Sheriff of Lincoln County, to bring in McCarty alive or dead. Garrett was a man totally without fear. When Bowdre heard that Governor Lew Wallace had issued amnesty for participants on both sides of the fracas, he sent word to Garrett through the grapevine that he wanted to talk about surrendering. The two men met on the road outside Fort Sumner.
Bowdre didn’t like the conditions set forth in the agreement, and decided not to surrender. Garrett let him ride off unharmed.

On the night of December 20, 1880, Garrett and several determined Texans set a trap in Fort Sumner when they discovered McCarty and his associates would be coming into town for a little celebrating. As the outlaws approached, Garrett called "Halt!" and Tom O’Folliard reached for his scabbard and Garrett dropped him from his saddle. McCarty escaped the fusillade with the others and never stopped until they reached Wilcox.

Seven months later on July 15, 1881, Henry McCarty aka; Billy The Kid, was buried with Charlie Bowdre and Tom O’Folliard in the Fort Sumner Cemetery after Sheriff Pat Garrett shot and killed him in Pete Maxwell’s Fort Sumner home the night before on July 14th, 1881.
He was unarmed, in the dark, and had his back turned when Sheriff Patrick Garrett opened fire.

Henry McCarty took credit for 21 murders, but only killed 6 men. 4 were while he was a Deputy to Richard Brewer.
He was never a leader of The Regulators.
It is also widely believed that he was 21 when he died. He was only 19.

The chaos that followed on the heels of Tunstall’s arrival spawned a gunfighting subspecies
That would make an awesome name for a band -- GUNFIGHTING SUBSPECIES.

I find it fascinating...

I've got pages and pages on the stuff, including essays I've written and lists of members of each group involved in the war.

Were the essays written just for personal enjoyment or for a school related project?

Personal gain really. I never thought I'd ever get to use any of it, but hey, I'm posting it all here now

A few years back, I went through hundreds of internet pages and printed off everything I found.

Then took each part and a pair of scissors... and laid the whole thing out in bits on the livingroom floor in order... then stapled it together into a large roll.

I then read through it all and sat and typed it all up into a word document to get the full story in detail. Took me near a month of research and printing...

Yeah, I didn't think you had written it all yourself. I copied and pasted some of it into Google and came up with some results with the same writing. But that's okay.

Yeah... it's still interesting though. The history I posted isn't complete though. There's other things I've found that add more to the story... like during Tunstall's murder, they were on their way back to Lincoln with the livestock so they could protect it from theft when they were ambushed... that paragraph above doesn't show that, it just says Tunstall and his men were approached, and that's it.

I'm still learning stuff even today. Though I have slowed down in my studying of it. I used to read up every day, gathering as much stuff as I could.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
i knew the basics of the lincoln war but nowhere NEAR the extent that you have, rodent! DAMN FINE History lesson, THANKS!!
And THANKS Sexy for prompting said lesson!!
BRAVO gentlemen!