The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Planes, Trains and Automobiles was my #6. An all-time favorite that I never fail to laugh at. One of my best friends is also a fan and we've spent the last 30 years quoting this movie back to each other. "Kindness?! Kindness?!?!"

Animal House

Borat, Anchorman and Trading Places are all in my top hundred comedies but didn't make the final cut.
Dumb and Dumber has a very high lmao-ratio with multiple skills of comedy executed perfectly. But I guess it isn't all that funny to people like Sea bass. Love all the love for Back to the Future. I've noticed it's one of the few films all different kinds of cinema lovers seem to acknowledge as great. Re-watched Planes, Trains, and Automobiles not so long ago. Steve Martin and John Candy's comedic chemistry was top notch. John Hughes delivered the exact right amount of comedy, nostalgia and feel good-ness that I needed at the time. Re-watching Animal House some time this week.

Seen 45/70
Ballot 7/25

...Dumb and Dumber has a very high lmao-ratio with multiple skills of comedy executed perfectly. But I guess it isn't all that funny to people like Sea bass.
I loved Sea bass, though the sequel, Sea Bassin' was bit overcooked for my taste

This is really cool! Nice job on creating it.
Seen 45/70
Ballot 7/25

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles

[waking up after sharing the same bed at the motel]
Neal: Del... Why did you kiss my ear?
Del: Why are you holding my hand?
Neal: [frowns] Where's your other hand?
Del: Between two pillows...
Neal: Those aren't pillows!

I remember being kinda so-so with this when it first came out. Don't remember why I felt that way; I just did.
I've come to find Candy's character kind of endearing, actually. Kind of makes me wonder how much of that inner John Candy was brought out for Del.

Steve Martin does very well as the "straight man." His frustrations and outrage are palpable, and you really feel for the guy as every nightmare horror of Holiday traveling is brought to life.
Like his long-@ss walk back from the rental parking lot TO the rental desk where he spouts the only swearing involved in the movie. The amount makes up for the rest of the time. And, of course, Edie McClurg was PERFECT for the Agent who ends it by telling him, "I guess you're f@cked."

The two of them create characters that appear very cliched but end up with far more emotional depth. We get to see that as Neal, and Del's adventure gets worse and worse and worse. And somehow, somehow, their friendship blooms and blossoms.

At #24:

Animal House (1978)

Dean Vernon Wormer: Greg, what is the worst fraternity on this campus?
Greg Marmalard: Well, that would be hard to say, sir. They're each outstanding in their own way.
Dean Vernon Wormer: Cut the horsesh#t, son. I've got their disciplinary files right here. Who dropped a whole truckload of fizzies into the varsity swim meet? Who delivered the medical school cadavers to the alumni dinner? Every Halloween, the trees are filled with underwear. Every spring, the toilets explode.
Greg Marmalard: You're talking about Delta, sir.
Dean Vernon Wormer: Of course, I'm talking about Delta, you TWERP!

Ahhh, that sweet, sweet, memorable summer between Junior High and High School when me (a few months short of 14) and my younger brother ( a few months shy of 13) snuck into our local movie theater after a quick puff with friends to watch this. (Yeah, it was as early as that for me) Now, to claim that it was a Life Changer in preparation for becoming a properly delinquent, hell-raising teenager is inaccurate. But, it is sure as sh#t confirmed and raised my eagerness and my ambition for the already set goals of improper behavior that I had excelled in as a kid into a broader expansion for young adulthood.
Am I proud of that?
TOTALLY!

Now, when I think of National Lampoon comedic films, this is the epitome of NL's dogma of lewd behavior, disregard for authority, and partying till the wheels fall off.
It's like the Little Rascals grew up and went to college, and their trouble-making has become a fine art. Crude, vulgar, with a great cast of hilarious miscreants and clever derelicts corrupting that year's new freshmen.
Even as an old fart, I still laugh nonstop with a consistent smirk in between whenever I watch this.

Watched: 58 out of 70 (82.87%)
1. Kung Fu Hustle (2004) #66
2. Would have been a happy surprise; ship go bye-bye; I eat a LOT of ice cream
3. Gonna be in the Top Ten
4. Long past its due date
5. Has a little bit of life left, maybe
6. F@CK ALL YA ALL this doesn't place
7. What's Up, Doc? (1972) #59
8. Locked for Top Ten
9. Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain aka Amélie (2001) #40
10. Wasn't gonna happen, but f@ck how it makes me laugh
11. Something I never thought had a chance, but by conversations, I've read. . . ???
12. I thought, at least, maybe the back fifty. F@ck me till I giggle if it shows in the next ten or so
13. Locked. Cocked. Thank You, Goodnight, Position
14. Please refer to #12; thank you
15. Yeah, NO WAY, but f@ckit, I'm calling a #10 on this'n
16. OK, this one kinda pisses me off in a kinda snobby "No, good sir, f@ck not only you but each and every one of your associates. So, yes, if you please, gag, choke, die. You pick what order. Now, off with you."
17. Um, let's see, I. . . think, I'm gonna go with. . . um, yes. #6, yes, please, thank you
18. F@ck, I already know; I'll have a #4, thanks
19. Was hoping for a spot in the back twenty. . . oh well, boo effin hoo pour moi lol
20. Oh, I knew -- I KNEW::evil laugh:: -- sorry, um, I'll have a #10 as well
21. How about I go Large on the #10 and gimme a #20. Awesome, thanks, dude
22. Oh MY God! Gimme THAT. #20 for me too.
23. I'm dieting, so - f@ckin delish, Do enjoy, but, yes, a #10 ONLY, if you'd be so kind and thank you - LOVE your scarf.
24. Animal House (1978) #31
25. Megamind (2010) One Pointer

One Pointers: 18 out of 42 (40.47%)

Rectification List
1. Mean Girls (2004) #67

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
Planes, Trains and Automobiles - I've came across this movie on the telly several years ago. Watched about 15 min., I think it was a scene they are in the car travelling during the night time or something like this... Anyway, I've changed the channel knowing that films featuring Steve Martin are not very watchable.

Animal House - I think, I've heard this title before.
---

I said it earlier when discussing Sandler that Martin is better when he isn't going all zany. The Jerk and The Man With Two Brains are great but I like Martin better when he's more subtle like he is here or in Roxanne.
Pure curiosity and partly expecting to see it when enjoying your reviews, but where ya at with Parenthood? Too zany? I remember him looking to break free from zany with that one. I was very angry about it, me likey zany.
But yeah, he does excel at less zany, I truly do agree. Maybe why Dirty Rotten Scoundrels has a beautiful blend for me. And because me likey zany, The Jerk is top go-to for Martin. I still laugh at "He hates these cans!" lol

Both of these are excellent entrees to the countdown. Not showing a lot of confidence in my ballot, as you can see.

My ballot:  

My ballot: *5/69 (1-ptr hit)
My 2nd ballot: 6/69
Seen: 58/69
1-ptrs seen: 16
Put on watch list: 5
Meh, Huh, WTF: 6
Looks about average for all of us, mate. WELCOME to the Club! lol

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
📽️ Seventh Round(70 movies) 🎞️

I present here the rank of the films by the arithmetic average rating according to 19 world wide movie communities + one group of critics. In a few words, That's what the World thinks!

List of The Film Communities by Language ▷  

---
Rank List (scale made equal to 1-10)

1. 39. Modern Times 8,45
2. 56. Sherlock Jr. 8,45
3. 50. The Great Dictator 8,41
4. 88. The Kid 8,30
5. 86. To Be or Not To Be 8,25
6. 83. The Gold Rush 8,23
7. 49. Singin' in the Rain 8,19
8. 34. Back to the Future 8,18
9. 61. It's Such a Beautiful Day 8,11

10. 35. It Happened One Night 7,97
11. 99. Fargo 7,96
12. 48. Playtime 7,87
13. 40. Amélie 7,84
14. 45. Harold and Maude 7,83
15. 47. Brazil 7,82
16. 73. Snatch 7,80
17. 100. Sullivan’s Travels 7,74
18. 85. One, Two, Three 7,73
19. 68. Ed Wood 7,63
20. 44. Being John Malkovich 7,57
21. 98. The Lady Eve 7,55
22. 53. Rushmore 7,51

ELITE
---
MIDDLE PACK

23. 64. Clerks 7,49
24. 93. Evil Dead II 7,45
25. 84. When Harry Met Sally... 7,40
26. 94. Withnail and I 7,38
27. 77. O Brother, Where Art Thou? 7,38
28. 89. House 7,32
29. 55. Ferris Bueller's Day Off 7,32
30. 37. A Fish Called Wanda 7,28
31. 59. What's Up, Doc? 7,25
32. 97. South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut 7,20
33. 78. Beetlejuice 7,19
34. 82. The Producers (1967) 7,18
35. 76. M*A*S*H 7,16
36. 66. Kung Fu Hustle 7,15
37. 75. Dazed and Confused 7,12
38. 51. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels 7,12
39. 32. Planes, Trains and Automobiles 7,09
40. 70. The Hangover 7,09
41. 33. Trading Places 7,09
42. 46. Heathers 7,01
43. 52. My Cousin Vinny 7,01

MIDDLE PACK
---
RUBBISH

44. 65. Black Dynamite 6,98
45. 69. The Nice Guys 6,95
46. 43. Clue 6,93
47. 96. Home Alone 6,92
48. 38. Superbad 6,87
49. 72. Big Trouble in Little China 6,87
50. 31. Animal House 6,78
51. 62. The In-Laws 6,77
52. 74. Best in Show 6,62
53. 71. Napoleon Dynamite 6,61
54. 41. Borat (2006) 6,61
55. 54. National Lampoon's Vacation 6,60
56. 57. Spaceballs 6,51
57. 79. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation 6,50

58. 42. Dumb and Dumber 6,46
59. 60. Fast Times at Ridgemont High 6,46
60. 81. Wayne's World 6,45
61. 67. Mean Girls 6,44
62. 36. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy 6,42
63. 87. Clueless 6,42
64. 91. Pee Wee's Big Adventure 6,36
65. 58. Tropic Thunder 6,35
66. 63. Happy Gilmore 6,25
67. 92. The 40 Year Old Virgin 6,19
68. 95. Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery 6,18
69. 80. Step Brothers 6,06
70. 90. Stripes 6,04

---

Pure curiosity and partly expecting to see it when enjoying your reviews, but where ya at with Parenthood? Too zany? I remember him looking to break free from zany with that one. I was very angry about it, me likey zany.
But yeah, he does excel at less zany, I truly do agree. Maybe why Dirty Rotten Scoundrels has a beautiful blend for me. And because me likey zany, The Jerk is top go-to for Martin. I still laugh at "He hates these cans!" lol

Parenthood is great and I think Martin is great in it. Same with the Father of the Bride remake. His zany worked when he was younger but you can only go to the well so often with that kind of stuff before it gets tired. I was glad to see him move onto these other kinds of roles and leave the really out there stuff to the new kids in town, Jim Carrey being the obvious successor. From Three Amigos to Grand Canyon are my fav Martin years.

Another one from my list. Wow this is my countdown. I knew voting for comedy was the right move. It's all coming together. Animal House is an excellent comedy full of madness and as mentioned, scummy characters, not on the up and up. Love it. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is a good film and the pairing of Candy and Martin works exceptionally well.

4. Sherlock, Jr. (1924)
5. Being John Malkovich (1999)
7. Borat: Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan (2006)
9. A Fish Called Wanda (1988)
10. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)
11. Superbad (2007)
13. South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut (1999)
14. Playtime (1967)
15. Dazed and Confused (1993)
19. Trading Places (1983)
23. Animal House (1978)
24. Singin' in the Rain (1952)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
My list so far
1. Not anymore
2. The Hangover
3. The biggest robbery ever
4. Happy Gilmore
5. It should still show
6. It Happened One Night
7. Wouldn't be surprised if it was somewhere in the 101-110 range
8. Yes it will show
9. The Gold Rush
10. Spaceballs
11. Think it might miss now, a shame
12. Home Alone
13. Still to come
14. Not a chance
15. Still to come
16. Probably the only voter
17. Yes, top 10
18. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
19. No and it makes me sad
20. Heathers
21. Forty Year Old Virgin
22. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
23. No, only voter id suspect
24. Thought it would make tail end, not anymore
25. Was super bummed this wasn't a 1 pointer, but glad someone else loves

10 so far, 5 more I'd say for 15/25. Outside shot for 2 more for max of 17/25

Seen 50/70

My Ballot Percentages so far

1. 50% - Don’t think it’s happening
2. 75% - Just maybe
3. 50% - Don’t think it’s happening
4. 75% - Just maybe
5. 75% - Just maybe but it should make it
6. No chance now
7. No chance now
8. The Hangover (2009)
9. Fast Times At Ridgemont High (1982)
10. Dumb and Dumber (1994)
11. Step Brothers (2008)
12. Tropic Thunder (2008)
13. 50% - Don’t think it’s happening
14. Super Bad (2007)
15. 100% - This movie should make it, it's highway robbery if it don't
16. No chance now
17. Mean Girls (2004)
18. 50% - Don’t think it’s happening
19. No chance now
20. No chance now
21. Happy Gilmore (1996)
22. 50% - Don’t think it’s happening
23. 50% - Don’t think it’s happening
24. No chance now
25. 75% - Just maybe, still think this has a chance

Easy A - 100% Emma-licious

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is my second favorite Hughes, right behind Ferris Bueller which was on my list. Just a charming, easy going, heart warming movie. You can't go wrong with Martin+Candy

Never seen Animal House, but really should

Animal House quickly became a hit comedy in 1978, chiefly because of the character Bluto, played by John Belushi who was at the height of his fame from starring in the Saturday Night Live TV show.

I believe it was one of the first gross-out films, which spawned scores of others. Belushi was funny in the film, but one has to like that type of slob humor to find it really funny. I haven't seen it since it came out. IMO it's really more of a landmark film.

Borat, Anchorman and Trading Places are all in my top hundred comedies but didn't make the final cut.
Dumb and Dumber has a very high lmao-ratio with multiple skills of comedy executed perfectly. But I guess it isn't all that funny to people like Sea bass. Love all the love for Back to the Future. I've noticed it's one of the few films all different kinds of cinema lovers seem to acknowledge as great. Re-watched Planes, Trains, and Automobiles not so long ago. Steve Martin and John Candy's comedic chemistry was top notch. John Hughes delivered the exact right amount of comedy, nostalgia and feel good-ness that I needed at the time. Re-watching Animal House some time this week.

Seen 45/70
Ballot 7/25

This format really should be a staple.Well done.

There's something about the personality that John Landis shows through the screen that agrees with me. That's two days in a row, will there be more?

Planes and Trains is a perfectly nice movie.

My list-

1. Animal House (#31)
3. Trading Places (#33)
5. Stripes (#90)
6. The Hangover (#70)
8. Vacation (#54)
9. Fast Times at Ridgemont High (#60)
There's something about your profile, @cricket, that made me think Animal House would be your #1. I don't know what it is...hmm. Well, glad to see I was right in my guess!

Planes, Trains, and Automobiles is one of my favorite John Hughes movies. I prefer this type of Hughes to his "all parents are either stupid or awful" type of movies, some of which are very good but even as a young, childless man, I was growing wearing of that theme, thus the preference for the Martin/Candy type of film. Loved Ferris Bueller's Day Off but even there the parents are somewhat dimwitted or clueless to their kids' actions/whereabouts---but that's the theme of the movie so I'm not really griping but I do digress. Anyhow, didn't vote for this movie as much as I dig it.

Animal House is one I've loved since I saw it at the cinema when I was 17. I'm not sure but I believe that 17-year-olds were allowed into R-rated films back then in my neck of the woods. I walked right in without having to show ID I know. This film was an off-the-rails "slob comedy" that was, as far as I know, one of, if not the very first to be called that or embraced as that, at least. For me, it's the one that defines slob comedy. The dry, don't give a rat's a@@ attitude that the Delta House has for the rest of the Faber College institution or even the town's feelings towards them, really won me over. Just flat-out, raunchy-but-still-adorable-somehow funhouse of laughs has never failed to make me laugh even to this day. It came in at #14 on my list.

My list:
#4.The In-Laws
#8.Stripes
#14.Animal House
#18.Dirty Rotten Scoundrels