The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I guess What We Do in the Shadows isn't going to make it, huh? Asking for a friend.
I had The Hunt for the Wilderpeople on my shortlist, one of the last five I cut. That is my favorite Waititi, so far. But I expect he will miss this countdown. The love for his stuff is spread too thin over three or four titles, I expect. And not enough time for their admiration to bake in to the level of "classics". But maybe on the upcoming Top 100 of the 2010s List?

*and hey, look: page number 100!
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I guess What We Do in the Shadows isn't going to make it, huh? Asking for a friend.
Probably not, although it deserves to make the list. What We Do in the Shadows is much better than several of the films already on the list.

Yeah The Hunt for the Wilderpeople was great too and had some seriously funny moments. Also, the What We Do in the Shadows tv series is one of my "current" favourite shows. If anyone's a fan of the movie it's worth checking out if you haven't yet for some crazy reason. I'll give the edge to the film, though, but that's tough to beat.

2010s list it is then! I will conduct a campaign.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Two more from my list made an appearance. High brow stuff, too.

Dumb and Dumber was my number 9. This is the movie I credit with breaking the ice with my gf of 22+ years. I remember it like it was yesterday. It was a rain day, so the bar opened early and I was at it along with the rest of the crew. We started with screwdrivers, rail of course, until about noon when we switched over to beer (cheap mini pitchers - it's why we went there) and by the time the new bartender showed up, five hours later, we were feeling pretty all right. Being the smooth smoothie I am, the first thing I asked the new bartender was if she wanted to hear the most annoying sound on earth? When I was finished, she cut me off, dumped my beer, and tossed me out. She did it all with a smile. Love was in the air I tell ya. Maybe not. Took two years for me to recover from that first impression. Just so happens she loved this movie too but she had to lay some ground rules. How could it not be top ten after that? Just watched a bunch of clips from this and they still hold up. Dumb movie, dumb story, f'n hilarious!

But as good as Dumb and Dumber is it's no A Fish Called Wanda - my number two movie.

Otto: Eww. Avoid the green ones. They're not ripe yet.

This is about as perfect as a comedy can get for me. I almost have this film memorized I've seen it so often and among my close friends/family this is easily one of the most quoted films. A lot of it is Otto but hell, Cathcart Towers Hotel just popped up for some reason the other day. A top comedy for me is going to have consistent laughs throughout, this has that plus a few scenes of tears rolling down your cheeks laughter. The KGB smokescreen scene is one of the funniest scenes ever. Wendy, being British and schooling Otto on KGB defectors is brilliant but Cleese's WTF is happening right now look is outstanding. I've never been a Jamie Lee fan but she rocks it as Wanda. Wanda is the only character who has their eyes on the prize the entire time unfortunately she has to clean up all the incompetence that surrounds her. Nothing works for anybody ever in this movie until it does. It's people backstabbing each other, using each other, being cruel to each other and killing dogs for two hours. It's hilarious!

As for some other stuff:
Heathers is great. I think it's funny in parts but not hilarious.
Also really liked Being John Malkovich but never had a chance at my top 25.
Clue is good but top 50? C'mon. 100, maybe 99 is pushing it but top 50? It's placement is pretty shocking but I do like it.
Borat is okay. Has it's moments but that kind of cruel humor isn't my thing. The wrestling scene is funny though.
Superbad another good movie, has some very funny moments but it drags for me at times. What's his name gets annoying, jeez what's his name - not Rogen, he's annoying but that's expected, but the other kid, Jonah Hill, that's it. I'm fine with two or three times I've seen it..
Tried watching Harold and Maude twice, never made it to the 40 minute mark.

I forgot the opening line.
Maybe at the end of this countdown are 25 films which have really high "number of lists" counts, and the thing we take away is the fact that rather than having disparate tastes in comedy most of us in fact have very similar taste. (Yeah - that's the sound of desperate hope that most of mine still make the cut.)

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Superbad for this countdown because it aired on TV while I was working on my list, but as I suspected, it's not my type of humor.

I've seen A Fish Called Wanda many times, and it's one of my favorite movies. I think it's arguably Kevin Kline's best performance, and John Cleese is fantastic in it too. It was on my long list of movies that I made for this when the countdown was first announced, but it was one of my last few cuts, and it just missed my list. I'm thrilled to see that it made the countdown without my help.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I bet Ed and GBG voted for it too. I seem to remember both really liking it.

That would be a good guess as it could easily make my list on most days, but on the day I finalized my list, it just missed,

I really liked Superbad and found it to be pretty funny. Now, I'm not a fan of Jonah Hill or Seth Rogan at all, but I could tolerate them in this movie. Everybody else was just fine for me, especially Emma Stone, and I saw this before she become the star she is now. I really thought there was something special about her and I'm so glad she's gone on to great heights.

A Fish Called Wanda is a great comedy and like catnip for a Monty Python fan like me. Cleese and especially Palin were great. Kevin Kline was certainly deserving of his Supporting Actor Oscar. The whole thing was brilliant to me. Have seen it many times.

Voted for neither. I'm not being very successful so far on this countdown, but I've really liked the ones that get picked without my help. That's part of the joy of this one, the fact that I like so many comedies, plus the oft-repeated fact that it's so unpredictable. This countdown will probably be remembered, complaints aside, as one of the best countdowns we've had, ever.

My list:
#4.The In-Laws
#8.Stripes
#18.Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

146 points, 10 lists
Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy
Director

Adam McKay, 2004

Starring

Will Ferrell, Christina Applegate, Paul Rudd, Steve Carell

152 points, 10 lists
It Happened One Night