The Movie Forums Top 100 Comedies Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I haven't seen The Producers, but given that it's a musical I doubt I would like it. I know I tried to watch the remake at one point, but never made it through. I liked Wayne's World well enough when I was like 12 years old, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it now.

Never seen The Producers and, surprisingly, never seen Wayne's World either.

I’ve seen several iterations of The Producers including the one that made the countdown and I just don’t get it. The premise is a comedy goldmine but the execution fails to be memorable or funny to me every time.

Wayne’s World was on my list. Endlessly silly and rewatchable. It’s also the movie that got me into Queen when I was a kid.

“Ribbed for her pleasure...ewwwww.”

Trivia: Robert Ebert recounted how he was in an elevator with Mel Brooks and Anne Bancroft in New York City afer the film premiered. A woman got into the elevator, recognized Mel Brooks and said, "I have to tell you, Mr. Brooks, that your movie is vulgar" Brooks replied, "Lady", he said, "it rose below vulgarity".

This is where I'm at...

Seen: 11/20

My ballot:  

"The Producers" and "Fargo" were my #26 & #27th selections. These two hurt to leave off. Never cared for "Wayne's World", a good skit but for a film, didn't work for me. Thought " Clueless" was brilliant with all its little sub-stories. Starting to get impatient with zero films of mine revealed.

Give the last ten selections a solid 8/10

My ballot: *0/20 (1-ptr hit)
My 2nd ballot: 4/20
Seen: 13/20
1-ptrs seen: 16
Put on watch list: 4

I haven't seen The Producers, but given that it's a musical I doubt I would like it. I know I tried to watch the remake at one point, but never made it through.
The musical numbers are what makes this film a comedic classic. The remake is trash and never made it through.

I seen The Producers fairly recently too, like in the last year and I don't remember a thing about it...Except the first act with Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder in the office was slow and went on and on. I'm NOT a fan of Mel Brooks films and I'm sure we'll have to suffer more of them making the countdown The only good Mel Brooks film IMO is Young Frankenstein and that's because Brooks didn't write it, Gene Wilder did.

Wayne's World...I liked it when I was younger....though Dana Carvey over hams it up, Mike Myers on the other hand is spot on in his characterization.

Have seen so far: 10 - Wayne's World - This movie wasn't that bad, not much of a fan of the movie really.
Have not seen so far: 10

I have not seen the producers

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

I love The Producers, have since I was a kid. I saw the Musical on Broadway during its last week of previews as it was officially becoming the hottest ticket in town and destined to win just about every Tony Award there was. The way the original, perfect little movie was modified into a Musical was exceedingly clever. The eventual movie adaptation of the Broadway smash is serviceable, though loses some of the charm and invention of the stage production. I was worried Mel Brooks' classic debut wouldn't make the countdown - I didn't have room for it on my ballot - but again, fine job there, MoFo!

I like Wayne's World and its sequel plenty, though I never came close to considering either for such an exercise. I do have a film based on "Saturday Night Live" characters on my ballot, but it ain't Wayne Campbell and Garth Algar. Is it The Ladies Man? Superstar? Stuart Saves His Family? It's Pat? Stay tuned...
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

If @Diehl40 allows me, I'd like to do one of my "pit-stops" for the first batch...

Decade Breakdown
  • 1900s = 0
  • 1910s = 0
  • 1920s = 2
  • 1930s = 0
  • 1940s = 3
  • 1950s = 0
  • 1960s = 2
  • 1970s = 1
  • 1980s = 5
  • 1990s = 6
  • 2000s = 1
  • 2010s = 0
  • 2020s = 0

The 90s and the 80s dominating which, when you consider what I think is the "average age" of the MoFos, it kinda figures.

Recurring Directors
  • Preston Sturges = 2
  • Charlie Chaplin = 2

Also, if I'm not mistaken, we only have two foreign films so far (Withnail & I and Hausu) and one animated film (South Park)

The Producers is pretty good, though it's not the Mel Brooks film I went with. Happy to see that it made the list though. Haven't seen Wayne's World.

I haven't seen The Producers, but given that it's a musical I doubt I would like it. I know I tried to watch the remake at one point, but never made it through. I liked Wayne's World well enough when I was like 12 years old, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like it now.
For the record, the original The Producers is NOT a Musical. The only songs in it are the ones in the play-within-the-movie, like "Springtime for Hitler". But the characters do not break into song to advance the plot or express their feelings.

Given your taste I doubt you'd like the original much either, but you wouldn't dislike it for being a Musical. It isn't one.

It's possible my memory is really faulty, but the original isn't a musical (but it is about trying to put on a failed musical).

Not saying you're going to like it either way though.

Not seen The Producers. Wayne's World is another of those "amusing when I saw it as a youngster" but I didn't even contemplate it for the best comedies ever.

Sums up my thoughts on Wayne's World as well. It also didn't cross my mind that it'd be one other people would have thought of either. I think I've scrubbed a lot of 90s comedies from my mind as existing for some reason.

Given your taste I doubt you'd like the original much either, but you wouldn't dislike it for being a Musical. It isn't one.
Oh, oops. The very cursory googling I did suggested it was a musical, but I guess maybe because a stage musical was based on it. Either way, of the Mel Brooks movies I have seen, the only one I like is Robin Hood: Men In Tights and it isn't even among the movies I considered for my ballot.

I've seen both, voted for neither. Don't really have much to say on either since I only saw The Producers once as some friends wanted to do a Mel Brooks marathon over a decade ago, which I guess I'll save some thoughts on that when his other films presumably come up.

Seen 16/20

Just in case any fan of The Producers never saw it, or if some of you become new fans after checking it out from the countdown, season four of "Curb Your Enthusiasm" is a wonderful sort of homage to the film and the play when Larry David gets picked by Mel Brooks to star in the latest run of the Broadway megahit. I gotta confess, even as a huge fan of all things Producers I somehow didn't see the brilliant ending coming.