How do you test a movie?

Tools    

I've never walked out on a movie, I give every thing a chance. Can't judge til you've seen the whole film.

If I'm flipping through channels I'll watch maybe 10 minutes and if I don't like it I'll change it. If I put a movie on I'll usually finish it.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
If I'm watching a scene, and I like it, it'll usually pull me in for the remainder On the other hand, if a scene is terrible, I'll give it one more shot and if the next scene sucks for me, then bye bye. I won't force myself to sit through something that's not enjoyable to watch.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
If it is something I have paid to watch I will watch it all the way through whether I like it or not. Sometimes I might switch off if it's a film on tv that I just happened to catch and didn't really enjoy watching, or if I'm not in the mood to watch it. I don't think you can always judge from the first 5 or even 45 minutes. And I don't think you have the right to review a film you couldn't be bothered to watch. For that reason alone I'll watch something to the end that I don't like, just to be able to say exactly why I didn't like it. And sometimes films surprise you - I'm not talking about sudden twist endings, just giving a film the chance to grow on you. There are films I felt like switching off in the first ten minutes that I'm really glad I didn't, and some I almost wish I had... but you can't always tell from the first few minutes which it's going to be.

What Passes
- Something I can relate to
- Sexy men
- Makes me laugh
- Scenes don't drag
- It feels like it's "more than just a movie"
- Makes sense for whatever it is
- Creative
- Has a "certain something" about it
- Interesting characters

What Fails
- Terrible music
- Boring characters
- Pretentiousness
- Stupid comedy (sadly, many popular films - *ahem The Hangover* fit this criteria)
- The Informant
- Actors don't act, they're there for a check (George Clooney)
- Unattractive guys are in it

What about characters?

I just can't believe she didn't like The Hangover, I personaly am not a fan of most new films with stupid comedy but I loved it, had me in stiches the whole way through.

I tend to watch every film all the way through. But if its not grabbing me at all I'll walk out of it and get food or wander a bit before going back in, (like Avatar in which my friend forced me to go to). More often than not I find myself rearranging my criteria on what makes a "good" film based on what I get out of it. If your going into a First Cinema film, expect to be entertained somehow, if that's the case; what made it work, or perhaps, why didn't it work. Second cinema, expect more "art" as it were; same thing. Third Cinema; expect something more "political"; etc. B, Z, movies, expect low quality, but find something in them that reaches me, (if they do). Avant-Garde, Experimental, Underground, focus on aesthetics, what is the auteur trying to convey; etc. I think if your going to pass true judgement on the film in question, criterias have to change a bit to meet the means of the selected film. Also, which is why I also think true judgement not only has to come from a complete viewing, but a second or third viewing, with a little background knowledge as well. At least that's my standpoint. I may hate a movie like Avatar, but I since I constantly walking out, mostly due to absolute boredom, and getting food and wandering aimlessly for awhile, only to come back into the soup to find that my predictions on the plot proved correct, (seeing as this was a First Cinema film)... Be that as it may, I cannot pass full judgement. So, if and when the day comes to in fact pass judgement on the film itself. I'll devote myself to it, otherwise, I'll stick to seeing different films and reviewing films I care about much more. At least, that's how I play my game.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage