Earliest Movie Memory

Tools    

Not sure this thread has been done before. My earliest movie memory was as a very young boy who with some equally mischievous other boys used to sneak into our home town picture theatre thru a loose board when the lites went out. We managed to get away with it for a while until the manager twigged and then we got hell to pay from Mum and Dad. After that if I wanted to see a flick I had to work for the ticket price.I had learned my lesson. Several years later I found myself fatherless and was sent to a boarding school. It was run by the Masons and was both strict and spartan. Our one touch with civilization was the twice a month movie. This was not a priviledge for every boy as if you had gained too many demerit points the previous week for any little misdemeanors you missed the picture. I always was on my best behaviour leading up to picture nite so I could take my place on the hard wooden benches in the picture hall. My older brother was also at the school but in the upper grade. Picture nite and the monthy parental visits where the only times we ever saw each other. As I was unable to purchase lollies(candy) with my meager allowance I had to rely on my big brother. As he was a prefect he would slide a bag of my fave lollies from the back of the hall under the many rows of seats. Heaven help anyone who tried snitching my goodies as my brother would put him on detention. These are my earliest recollections of the moving picture. and the subsequent many joys it has given me over the intervening decades. Anyone else have their own movie story to tell?

I can't really say I remember my first movie memory, but I easily remember my most important. I remember watching Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom for the first time when I was either 4 or 5 years old. I loved that movie so much as a kid. In fact I still love it to this day. It is easily one of my all time favorite films and the movie that started a young Gunslinger to become the raging cinephile you see today.

This might just do nobody any good.
Earliest for me is watching the arm wrestling scene from Cronenberg's The Fly when I was four.

I was fascinated by that movie. Weird.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I remember a scene from like an old CBS Tuesday night movie about some guy in black on a motorcycle swinging what seemed to be a lightsaber type thing. I think he was killing people at night. No clue what it was or when. Probably very early 80s.

I remember falling asleep at the theater watching E.T.

I THINK I remember going to see The Empire Strikes Back with my parents. They were still building the theater. The theater owners, that is, and not my parents. I think some glass panels in the lobby had not even been installed. The memory stands out because some usher was waving people past the construction area with a flashlight with a red cone like what you see used by airport marshalling staff. I thought it was a light saber too.

I guess there's a trend there, huh?

I can't remember the earliest film I ever saw, but the first time I ever went to the cinema as a little kid was ET. I also remember us getting a VHS in the early 80s and being excited over renting Star Wars.

One of the earliest films I saw was was in my fave genre ..horror.. the very first of Hammer Films Dracula. I was hooked from then on. Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing became my favorite baddie v goodies partnership. I think I have every Hammer film made in my library. Also every Amicus anthology.

Well. In defense, I was like 5 or 6. I think I climbed down to the floor and passed out. I do remember being bored, but it was late in the evening. Then again, I was never a fan even in later years either so who knows

I can't remember the earliest film I ever saw, but the first time I ever went to the cinema as a little kid was ET. I also remember us getting a VHS in the early 80s and being excited over renting Star Wars.
It took us a while to get a VCR. Trippy but now I remember renting those players as a kid for like my bday party or something. Mom brought home this clunky plastic suitcase looking thing that we hooked up to the TV so we could watch whatever for the 2-day rental gig. Wow. We probably rented Chopping Mall and Tron. Or something. Aah, memories.

The most loathsome of all goblins
The Lion King, which I saw in theaters just after turning 5 years old. But the early movie memory that stands out the most is seeing The Craft at age 6, which was the beginning of my love affair with the horror genre. It was the earliest experience I can recall of being scared and enjoying it.

I lived in a tiny little town in upstate New York when I was a kid and the town only had one movie theater...my mom gave me a dollar to go see Mary Poppins. When I was a kid, a dollar bought your ticket, a large popcorn, and large drink. I asked my mom if I could back and see it again the next day. She said yes, but this time only gave me the price of the ticket...25 cents.

I do not recall my first movie. But I remember the American serials that were on with the main feature at my little town picture theatre. Being in serialized form meant the exciting part ended the week and you had to wait a whole week to see the outcome. A good way I suppose for movie people to get bums on picture theatre seats as many of these serials were made just after the Depression years and during WW2.

I'm not sure what exact order, but when I was about four or five I saw The Incredible Mr. Limpett and The Fantastic Voyage on TV