The MoFo Top 100 of the 80s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Hey MoFos!

Those of you who have been busy immersing yourself in this rich cinematic decade over the last 4½ months, I hope you've had fun - I know I have. Now I've made Daniel suffer a little bit, I say it's about time we started revealing what MoFo really thinks about the 1980s, though, right? Of course I'm right.

In my estimation, we've put together one hell of a group of movies: eclectic and I think, ultimately, representative of the collective tastes of these here forums, which is exactly what we want. A total of 62 lists have been submitted since last September - eight more than the 90s list - containing 371 individual films. A huge thanks to you all for making this such a big success.

The following MoFos contributed a list:
Arcanis, bluedeed, BlueLion, Camo, Cobpyth, cricket, Daniel M, donniedarko, edwardc77, Frightened Inmate No. 2, Gabrielle947, gandalf26, Godoggo, Guaporense, HandyApe, Harry Lime, Hit Girl, Hitchcockian, Holden Pike, honeykid, JayDee, jiraffejustin, -KhaN-, linespalsy, Lucas, mark f, meatwadsprite, mikeython1, Miss Vicky, Mmmm Donuts, mojofilter, moviefan1996, Mr Minio, Mr.Sparkle, nostromo87, OMEGA5, Pussy Galore, rauldc14, rice1245, Sane, sarah f, seanc, Sedai, Sexy Celebrity, Skepsis93, stevo3001, syj, teeter_g, The Gunslinger45, The Rodent, the samoan lawyer, The Sci-Fi Slob, TheUsualSuspect, thracian dawg, Thursday Next, TokeZa, Tyler1, TylerDurden99, Upton, weeman, wintertriangles, Yoda

My personal thanks to Harry Lime, who offered some very useful advice during this process in addition to setting a great example with his 90s countdown, Yoda for his help and support in wrangling lists, and Daniel M, who again supplied a superb spreadsheet on which to quickly and easily jot up the scores.

I think we're about ready to get this show on the road. Most of you know the drill by now, but for the newcomers: films were awarded points from 25 for #1 to 1 for #25. Ties will be broken according to the amount of lists a film appeared on. Two movies every day. Let's do this thing!

The List

100. HANNAH AND HER SISTERS
99. STOP MAKING SENSE
98. MODERN ROMANCE
97. ROCKY IV
96. NEAR DARK
95. STRANGER THAN PARADISE
94. A VISITOR TO A MUSEUM
93. THE UNTOUCHABLES
92. BLOOD SIMPLE.
91. THE OUTSIDERS

90. A CHRISTMAS STORY
89. THE DECALOGUE
88. NAUSICAÄ OF THE VALLEY OF THE WIND
87. BEETLEJUICE
86. SHOAH
85. HEATHERS
84. BACK TO THE FUTURE PART II
83. THREE CROWNS OF THE SAILOR
82. THE TIME TO LIVE AND THE TIME TO DIE
81. DINER

80. CHRISTMAS VACATION
79. THE VANISHING
78. MANHUNTER
77. THE GOONIES
76. WINGS OF DESIRE
75. DEAD POETS SOCIETY
74. A CITY OF SADNESS
73. REPO MAN
72. LETHAL WEAPON
71. PLANES, TRAINS & AUTOMOBILES

70. GLORY
69. STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN
68. CASTLE IN THE SKY
67. AU REVOIR LES ENFANTS
66. MAD MAX 2: THE ROAD WARRIOR
65. BLOW OUT
64. CRIMES AND MISDEMEANORS
63. THE SACRIFICE
62. TOOTSIE
61. THE LOST BOYS

60. AKIRA
59. JEAN DE FLORETTE
58. EVIL DEAD II
57. CINEMA PARADISO
56. THE KARATE KID
55. STAND BY ME
54. THE FLY
53. THE PURPLE ROSE OF CAIRO
52. BATMAN
51. POLTERGEIST

50. THE BLUES BROTHERS
49. THE EVIL DEAD
48. THE COOK, THE THIEF, HIS WIFE & HER LOVER
47. DAS BOOT
46. GREMLINS
45. MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO
44. ROBOCOP
43. AIRPLANE!
42. A NIGHTMARE ON ELM STREET
41. FIRST BLOOD

40. RAISING ARIZONA
39. PARIS, TEXAS
38. INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE
37. E.T. THE EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL
36. PREDATOR
35. AFTER HOURS
34. GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES
33. THIS IS SPINAL TAP
32. COME AND SEE
31. WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT

30. PLATOON
29. THE KING OF COMEDY
28. AN AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON
27. THE PRINCESS BRIDE
26. RAIN MAN
25. INDIANA JONES AND THE TEMPLE OF DOOM
24. AMADEUS
23. FERRIS BUELLER'S DAY OFF
22. FANNY AND ALEXANDER
21. BRAZIL

20. GHOSTBUSTERS
19. THE ELEPHANT MAN
18. STAR WARS: EPISODE VI - RETURN OF THE JEDI
17. RAN
16. ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA
15. DO THE RIGHT THING
14. SCARFACE
13. THE BREAKFAST CLUB
12. THE THING
11. ALIENS

10. Full Metal Jacket

9. Blue Velvet

8. Die Hard

7. Raging Bull

6. Blade Runner

5. Star Wars: Episode V -
The Empire Strikes Back

4. The Terminator

3. Back to the Future

2. Raiders of the Lost Ark

1. The Shining

Oh my stars!

I'm on the banner!

That's me on the right between Jake La Motta from Raging Bull (Robert De Niro) and John McClane from Die Hard (Bruce Willis).

I think that picture makes me look dumpy....

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Thank you! I put that there just for you, Sexy Dorothy.

The font is Arvo, Daniel.

First two entries ETA 10 mins.

F*cking boring Woody Allen, what a surprise that a film from one of the the list creators favourite director just about gets in...

Not seen it, in fact I have seen no Woody Allen 80s films, need to sort that out.

Stop Making Sense I haven't seen either, looks good though.

0/2 so far

*unfreezes from mannequin state*

I've seen neither, but this isn't... that disappointing. I've heard a lot about Stop Making Sense from people on this forum, but I've never bothered to check it out.

This makes me ... extremely irritated by that movie, now.

The Woody Allen film -- I like Woody Allen. And I like Michael Caine (as well as Dianne Wiest, Carrie Fisher and Daniel Stern). I would watch it. I might put this on the fast track to checking it out soon.

*freezes into mannequin*

F*cking boring Woody Allen, what a surprise that a film from one of the the list creators favourite director just about gets in...

Not seen it, in fact I have seen no Woody Allen 80s films, need to sort that out.

Stop Making Sense I haven't seen either, looks good though.

0/2 so far
The last list I added, Pussy Galore's I think, just snuck it on. Had the same number of points but was on two more lists than #101.

I was honestly expecting it to be higher.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Two great ones, but believe it or not, I didn't vote for them. On a different day, I would have.