Which was the best ever war movie?

Tools    

@Iroquois I guess genocide isn't necessarily an act of war, as war is defined by combat between two groups of armed combatants. So if one group isn't armed it's not technically warfare. But, @FromBeyond, you completely missed the point. I mean it sounds like you haven't even seen the movie. There is combat between these two groups of armed combatants:

plus

equals

I have seen the movie, I watched it without having ever heard anything about it 10 years ago

I don't see any combat in those 3 pics you posted. The closest I can think of combat is when florya hides behind a dead cow in the field as ammunition lights up the night..you do not see men loading and firing big guns or a counter offensive.. if you was going to prove me wrong, I would have expected to see that pic..

That german vehicle that gets blown up, it just happens, there's no fighting as such.

And the group of German prisoners are suddenly just there, surrounded by the Russians.

My trajectory may be way off but I'm still going with it
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

Make a better place
I can't stand war movies, the only one that I like is Fury

Apocalypse Now
or, if it counts, Errol Morris' McNamara film Fog of War is really good.

I can't stand war movies, the only one that I like is Fury
there are some fantastic war films, pippo

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Well I finally got my hands on a copy of Come and See, that has English subtitles for once. It's good, but not one of the best of the best I would say.

The trick is not minding
I watched Hamburger Hill a few months back and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. It isn’t on the same level as Platoon or Saving Private Ryan, but it was good.

there's just a certain sect of people who like to crap on everything and everyone that's popular.
It's the whole "selling out" mentality. But if it's good then it's good, and most ppl can recognize something good when they see it. Apparently not the certain sect, though haha

Imo it's a South-Korean film called My Way

The action is so aggressive, noisy and violent much thanks to its modern camera-work. A lot of practical as well as digital effects.
The film also has emotional human moments.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
I'm not a huge fan of war movies, but I did like The Boys in Company C, Platoon, Saving Private Ryan, and War of the Worlds.

Thin Red Line

Left me literally dazed.

we need to check the upcoming Midway film, could be a contender

My Coppola fanboy compulsions make me say Apocalypse Now. It's so surreal and trippy without being a sirreapist film.

Has anyone seen the new release of Apocalypse Now: The Final Cut yet? Haven't been able to find it anywhere yet.

I have seen the movie, I watched it without having ever heard anything about it 10 years ago

I don't see any combat in those 3 pics you posted. The closest I can think of combat is when florya hides behind a dead cow in the field as ammunition lights up the night..you do not see men loading and firing big guns or a counter offensive.. if you was going to prove me wrong, I would have expected to see that pic..

That german vehicle that gets blown up, it just happens, there's no fighting as such.

And the group of German prisoners are suddenly just there, surrounded by the Russians.

My trajectory may be way off but I'm still going with it
So you're just talking about action then. You said it had to have conflict, which it does, but you disqualify it because you don't see the action of the conflict. So you're really not talking about combat at all, just action. This definition you have of what qualifies a movie as a war movie is so arbitrary and specific that I find it intolerable. You can't treat language this way or you will constantly get into semantic arguments with people that you don't actually disagree with. It's not your job to go around telling everyone else to go by your personalized and highly subjective definition of things. What I mean by highly subjective is that it's based on how you feel and in a very individualistic way. Your job, if you want to understand and be understood in conversation, is to understand what the word means and use it properly so that other people understand you. Otherwise you have to have a long pointless back and forth like this just to make it clear exactly what you're talking about. It's one thing if you want to say that in your personal philosophy you don't really consider a movie to be a war movie unless it has action, but you have to understand that most people are not going to share this definition since it's not fully encompassing. There are many aspects to war besides action. In fact the combat itself is perhaps the briefest part of war.

The Zookeeper's Wife looks like Schindler's List, but with saving animals, but I will check it out.

The Zookeeper's Wife looks like Schindler's List, but with saving animals, but I will check it out.
The Zookeeper's Wife is much more lighter than Schindler's List, but it's a good movie. My review of The Zookeeper's Wife (spoiler free)