Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

An Autumn Afternoon (1962)
a pure cinema

A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Gummo (1997)

I wouldn't call this a good movie, but I'm always fascinated by portrayals of white trash America. In that regard, it's fairly effective.

Lord High Filmquisitor

Friday the 13th (1980) - 5.5/10

This was better than I initially gave it credit for back in the day. While the film does bend over backwards to keep the killer's identity a secret, it never quite works the way that it was intended to. But, at the same time, it does try, and does succeed at doing something different from most slashers, so in that it does succeed. It was reasonably well made (given its budget and script) and does feature a young Kevin Bacon (which is always a plus). Still, it's a lackluster horror film that never quite comes together the way that it needed to.

Friday the 13th: Part 2 - 6.5/10

Like the first film, this one was a lot better than I remembered it being (even if I still can't exactly call it good). It featured a group of mostly likeable and reasonably intelligent characters, some ante-upping kills and freedom from the first film's gimmicky surprise killer. It mostly works, too, even if it's still a far cry from far superior slashers that came out around the same time.

Lord High Filmquisitor
When I first started getting really into horror, I marathoned all of them within a few days and disliked every last one of them. I only kept going because I figured that they had to get good at some point, given how many of them there were and how iconic the killer was. The only two that are good, in my opinion, are Freddy vs Jason (because it was just so much fun) and the remake (because somebody finally figured out that there was enough good material in the first three movies for a single film).

Looking back now, it seems like I might have been a bit too harsh on the franchise, or at least the first couple entries into it. While not good, they are at least decent, with some memorable scares and reasonably intelligent victims (the main girls from the first two struck me as being oddly competent). I plan on checking out the rest of them to see what else warrants a re-evaluation.

You weren't harsh, Arcanis. Just wrong. IV, VI and X are great. I've not seen II or III for a long time, but I remember liking them. Especially three, which I remember being surprised to like as much as I did, considering I thought it was merely OK at best when I first saw it as a kid.

Lord High Filmquisitor
I'd be willing to entertain arguments for IV and VI, but X?? What could possibly be said in that movie's favor?

Jason X shouldn't be called Jason X.

WARNING: "What Jason X should've been called" spoilers below
Jason X for the last twenty minutes of the film

Jason X is a campy good time. Not a "good" movie, but a fun one no doubt.

The Judge (2014)

Robert Downey Jr. and Robert Duvall star in this court drama about a lawyer who returns to his small hometown for his mother's funeral and finds that he must defend his estranged and ailing father, who happens to be the town's most prominent judge, in a court of law when he is suspected of a hit and run.

The movie features good performances by both Roberts and has it's sweet moments, but, because of many clichés and a predictable plot, it falls short of being an incredible court movie and melodrama.

The Interview

This movie was so stupid yet it was so entertaining!

Rogen and Franco (unexpectedly) gave very good performances and though most of the jokes didn't made me laugh hard, most of them were funny and I did laugh through most of the second half.

I am surprised I liked it this much.

Jason X is a campy good time. Not a "good" movie, but a fun one no doubt.
Lots of fun. Easily my favourite of that series but it doesn't really fit with the other 9 movies.

Heat.

Released 5 days after my birthday, after watching it I have no idea how I hadn't seen it sooner. Brilliant film, the two main characters were just fantastic. I feel like they could of been best friends if they weren't sworn enemies. The respect they have for each others determination is amazing and it's all summed up at the end of the film.

The guns in this movie sound so real and authentic, they must of used real guns firing blanks rather than adding the sound effects in later, rather confused why other films(none i can think of) did it the same.

High and Low (1963) - Akira Kurosawa

The Best of Kurosawa from whatever I have seen so far. Full of mastery...and that particular scene when this kidnapper meets the businessman...probably first time he has seen him walking in the streets...then he asks for a light, oh, master stroke...the film is filled with touches of a mastermind...

9.5 out of 10

Just copy pasted this from my own thread:

My Week with Marilyn (2011)

Call me when they actually make a good movie about Marilyn Monroe ... Instead of having her as the main character, we have Eddie Redmayne playing a young guy, wanting to make it in the film business. Redmayne does a good job, and he's a babe . Yet his character is just very bland and boring. I do not know how well Monroe was represented in this movie, but I hated her.

On the good side the movie was visually pleasing, and had a nice flow to it, and good actors (well except Michelle Williams).

Edit: by the way I am well aware of the fact that this was based on a true story, which is why Eddie Redmayne plays the lead. I think this is a big mistake, and that they should have kept the focus on the most interesting person, aka Marilyn.

Michelle Williams was the one who was being highly praised for her performance in that film. Not saying you're wrong, I wasn't as harsh as you on it, but I just thought it was interested to see one take the opposite view.

Michelle Williams was the one who was being highly praised for her performance in that film. Not saying you're wrong, I wasn't as harsh as you on it, but I just thought it was interested to see one take the opposite view.
Yeah I saw she was nominated for an oscar and won a Golden Globe

I've been working on a review of My Week with Marilyn, maybe I will finish it soon... I posted a comment on Mistique's thread.

Finished here. It's been fun.

The Devils
-

The best thing about this film is that there will never be anything else like it. Darkly comedic, twisted, insightful, and genuinely terrifying as well. Definitely a must-see for fans of raw, provocative cinema. Hell, great cinema in general. It pains me however that this film still has not been given the proper high-definition treatment it deserves. Tsst Tsst what a shame.