Movie about a primitive hunter and his wife

Tools    

Hi Guys,

There is this movie which I saw years ago but don't remember the name. I remember that it was one of those old movies. Unfortunately, I don't remember for which country it was.

The story was about a hunter who lived alone in his wooden house in the mountain and would hunt and gather food for his living. He would have rare visits to town to sell the skins and buy stuff. But he was very primitive and did not interact with other people.
In one of his visits to town he bought a woman (from her father? i suppose) to become the wife in his house and help him in his survival for the winter. But he had no intention of having sex with her or laboring her. It was his primitive reasonings that for survival, he needs a wife in his house so that they survive together.

So they had some adventures together, and it turned out that the man who was very primitive and uncivilized, despite his unkind appearance, and temper, was a kind-hearted man. So they gradually became friends and even survived the winter and so on.

Then after months past, one time the man asked for woman sexually, but she became scared and ran away and went back to town. Her friends and family were happy of her return and even they found a match for her and organized a future wedding for her. But then she began to realize how the people of the town are unkind despite being civilized and reminded her that how kind and passionate the hunter was despite his appearance. So she just rushed back to the hunter in a sudden decision, and eventually consented to be his wife.

I really loved the atmosphere of the movie and the personality of the hunter. I hope one of you could help me find the name so I can watch it again. Thanks a lot

adz
It sounds a lot like a version of the the old poem "Beowulf" (en . wikipedia . org/wiki/Beowulf).

There was a 2005 film based on it (imdb. com/title/tt0402057/). I think it's unlikely that this is the one you're after, but some of the plot lines match up.

Thanks for the reply. Actually it might seem similar to Beowulf because it is a classic movie with a classic story line.
But, the difference is that first this movie was not in medieval age. It was in the 20 century I think. So the town was actually a civilized town. Secondly, it was not a fighting movie. So there was no battles or killings in it.
It was mostly a very quiet and relaxing movie, with not much action scenes and etc. Mostly a romantic and naturalistic one.
I also remember one scene that the man came back to cottage and told the woman to amputate his leg (because of the frostbite i assume) and she was crying because she was afraid and the man tried to calm her down kindly ...
Thanks anyway
It sounds a lot like a version of the the old poem "Beowulf" (en . wikipedia . org/wiki/Beowulf).

There was a 2005 film based on it (imdb. com/title/tt0402057/). I think it's unlikely that this is the one you're after, but some of the plot lines match up.

I don't fully remember but it was more like that the father of the girl was a vicious man, and had 4 or 5 daughters so he just wanted to get rid of them...
He bought a woman in the 20th century? Who/where are these people?

Man you are my legend!!!!! How did you find that?!