The Films of Frank Capra

Tools    

Judging from this press release it looks like the new Inception Media Group Blu-Ray/DVD release of Lady for a Day will retain Frank Capra, Jr.'s commentary and introduction from the out-of-print Image Entertainment release. I haven't listened to much of Capra Jr.'s commentaries, but I do enjoy listening to him discuss his father's work in the various introductions and "Frank Capra, Jr. Remembers..." segments I've seen, so I'm glad they kept that from the previous DVD.

For some reason I got to thinking last night about how Capra is most often associated with super sappy sweet happy endings a'la It's a Wonderful Life. That being his most well known (and arguably best) film, I can understand it. Then I got to thinking, how many of Capra's films actually end in that fashion. I've only seen 10 of his 36 features thus far, and while they generally do have happy endings, they're not all of the super-sweet variety. I thought I'd look back at the ones I've seen to see if this reputation was warranted. Potential spoilers will follow.

1. The Matinee Idol (1928) - This silent Capra does indeed have a sappy ending with the lead couple ending up together at the fade out.

2. The Bitter Tea of General Yen (1933) - As endings go, this one's kind of a downer. The villain, whom our heroine has fallen for, is dead. She was willing to go too, but instead ends up long-faced on a boat leaving the country. The end. About as far from an expected Capra ending as you can get (which is actually part of the genius of the film).

3. It Happened One Night (1934) - I'll chalk this one up as another sappy ending. You can't but but smile once the "Walls of Jericho" finally fall and you know the couple has finally ended up together.

4. Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (1936) - This one is an expected Capra ending. Mr. Deeds is declared sane and we see him end up with the girl and they make their plans to go back to Mandrake Falls. Everybody's happy.

5. Lost Horizon (1937) - This is the most ambiguous ending I've seen to a Capra film (again, IMO, part of the genius of it). In a discussion earlier in this thread two different people stated they had opposite interpretations of it. Did Conway make it back? Is he still looking? I don't know, and therefore cannot count it in the sappy-happy ending column.

6. You Can't Take It With You (1938) - I'll give this one a sappy-happy ending. Our Romeo and Juliet end up together, the evil banker sees the error of his ways and everyone keeps doing just what they want to do. Hoo-ray!

7. Mr. Smith Goes to Washington (1939) - Does this film have a happy ending? Yes. Senator Smith is finally able to prove his innocence and expose the corruption he was fighting against. But, is it the over-the-top sappy-happy ending. Not really. As the credits role our hero has collapsed on the Senate floor and his fallen idol has attempted suicide before going on the lunatic rant that reveals all the evil machinations of he and his cohorts. We won, but we don't really get to partake in the celebration. I read recently that the film was intended to end with Smith and Saunders returning to Smith's hometown to a big parade and planning to start a family. While that would've definitely put it in the sappy column, I also think it might have diminished the impact of the film.

8. Meet John Doe (1941) - The ending that caused Capra and Riskin so much grief. The final ending is technically happy - John Doe does not commit suicide and several of his supporters return to their senses. However, it's almost a tragic happy. Doe was conviced suicide was his only course of action. As he carries Ann out, who has collapsed after her emotional - borderline hysterical - plea for him not to jump, he still doesn't look entirely convinced. And he's headed off with a group of people he knows can turn on him in an instant. He has a long way to go before he really trusts anybody again. And Norton's faction is not going away either. Again, not the traditionally thought of Capra ending.

9. Arsenic and Old Lace (1944) - Happy? Sure. But there's still 13 bodies in the cellar no one's looking into. OK, the killers are either going to jail or the insane asylum and the hero discovers he's the son of a sea-cook. Happy? Yes. Funny? Yes. Sappy? Not in my book.

10. It's a Wonderful Life (1946) - This is the king of the Capra sappy endings. No commentary is really needed here.

So, looking at the Capra features I've seen so far, we're 50/50 on sappy-happy endings (IMO). With one - possibly two - exceptions, they have happy endings, just not always the saccharine sweet variety the man is generally associated with. Still, a 50/50 ratio doesn't mean the reputation is not deserved, just that there was a lot more to his filmmaking abilities than he is sometimes given credit for.

Finally a new Capra box set is on the way. Here's a link to the press release.

The basic details are this:

"Frank Capra: The Early Collection" DVD set

Available Sept 3 from the TCM Vault Collection

Including: Rain or Shine (1930), Ladies of Liesure (1930), The Miracle Woman (1931), Forbidden (1932) and The Bitter Tea of General Yen (1933)

Features include: Introductions by Robert Osborne, Martin Scorsese, Ron Howard and Michael Gondry. Commentaries by film historians Jeanine Basinger and Jeremy Arnold.

You can see, it's basically the long talked about Capra/Stanwyck set with Rain or Shine thrown in, but I'm excited to finally see more Capra films officially released on DVD (in the US at least, I know the Stanwyck films had previous overseas releases).

As you prepare to watch It's a Wonderful Life this coming holiday season, perhaps a trip to your local comic shop is in order. Bluewater Comics, which produces an extensive line of biographical comics about politicians, musicians, authors and other celebrities, is releasing one for Frank Capra in December. Here's the info:

Originally Posted by Bluewater Productions
Tribute: Frank Capra
Author(s): Matthew J. Elliott
Artist(s): David T. Cabera
Genre(s): Biography

Frank Capra is an icon of American popular culture. But he is so much more than simply the director of It's A Wonderful Life, the most beloved Christmas movie of all time. Bluewater's comic book biography traces the course of Capra's life from penniless immigrant to Hollywood royalty, and examines his unique and invaluable contribution to America's war effort.
http://www.bluewaterprod.com/news/20...r_Releases.php
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAPRA.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	9537  

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Three Endings of Lost Horizon

I just read this article discussing the various endings of Capra's Lost Horizon. I need to rewatch the entire film again one of these days, but I remember my interpretation of the final ending as being ambiguous. I was curious what others who had seen the movie thought of it. Did he or didn't he or are we meant not to know for sure?
I think the story is false, the one told by the "man" about his tremendous success, just for the news story, to make the country look great. Very similar to "Wag the Dog" -- or in real life, Pat Tillman

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
My favorite Capra films...

1. Mr. Deeds Goes To Town
2. You Can't Take It With You
3. John Doe Goes To Town
4. Mr. Smith Goes To Washington
5. Lost Horizon
6. It's A Wonderful Life
7. It Happened One Night

I couldn't finish Arsenic and Old Lace after 15 minutes.. Same with "State of the Union"

Probably my favorite director. Great idealism. You want to be a better person after watching his films and hope for optimism.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
It Happened One Night is excellent. It's a Wonderful Life is great. The rest of his stuff is admirable. Still hoping to find another from him I consider a favorite.