Men: Shaved Armpits?

Tools    

Should men shave their armpits?
15.52%
9 votes
I'm a man and I shave my armpits, so yea.
50.00%
29 votes
I'm a man and I don't shave my armpits, but see nothing wrong.
18.97%
11 votes
I'm a man and I don't shave my armpits and I think no man should ever think about it.
5.17%
3 votes
I'm a woman and think men should shave their armpits at least from time to time.
10.34%
6 votes
I'm a women and I think men shouldn't shave their armpits at all.
58 votes. You may not vote on this poll

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by chicagofrog
what? you don't know the HLF?
(hair liberation front)
Is that the group that shaves the skinheads and gives all their hair to the hippies? I wondered who was doing that.

Originally Posted by adidasss
well mate, it's a common perception in america that european women don't shave their armpits, and since the majority of american women actually do shave their armpits, one can assume that they find unshaved armpits "icky", and thus by stating that european women don't shave their armpits, or as i like to say, SPREADING THEIR PROPAGANDA, they are trying to make european women seem inferior and rediculous in some way....so i think i used the word correctly.....
Look, for the word propaganda to be accurate in this situation you would need all of those American women to meet up and decide to do this - or at least have a group of clean-armpitted leaders who met up and decided it on their behalf. They don't.

You're using the wrong word. What you're talking about is not a deliberately orchestrated manipulative use of perceptions as a weapon.

That said, if this is a genuine trend, then it's of the 'assuming inferiority' type - which all countries and regions do (but which the US just happens to be capable of doing bigger and 'better' ). Such social beliefs normally come more from the desire to protect your own self image, rather than the desire to attack or harm others. They're more about unconscious defence than conscious attack.

Do you see what i'm getting at?

Humanity have been shaving before america was even founded, it's easy enough to look up.
Anyway everyone knows it's the french women who don't shave, it's proven fact they grow their own potatoes

Neutral Milk Hotel
If you shave your armpits it dosent bother me, but come on, men are turning into girls. Half the guys in my shool wear girl pants and now guys are shaving there legs too believe it or not. Its just getting ridiculous so im staying as manly as possible.
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

history *is* moralizing
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico
but come on, men are turning into girls Its just getting ridiculous so im staying as manly as possible.
so you mean men are defined by the quantity of hair they have?
like hairy men would be manlier than men with less hair?

i didn't think so...

You ready? You look ready.
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico
If you shave your armpits it dosent bother me, but come on, men are turning into girls. Half the guys in my shool wear girl pants and now guys are shaving there legs too believe it or not. Its just getting ridiculous so im staying as manly as possible.
I know the wearing of girl pants is just plain stupid. I've shaved my legs once before, but that was for some money. A friend dared me and I said no so then he said he'd give me 50 bucks. Hey, I need the 50 bucks.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Originally Posted by John McClane
A friend dared me and I said no so then he said he'd give me 50 bucks. Hey, I need the 50 bucks.
What if i gave you ummmmmm........... oops sorry I was just dreaming

Wheely cool bike girl
Originally Posted by Tea Barking
Humanity have been shaving before america was even founded, it's easy enough to look up.
Anyway everyone knows it's the french women who don't shave, it's proven fact they grow their own potatoes
The French women grow potatoes in their armpits? No wonder French brandy has that 'different' taste.

Wheely cool bike girl
Originally Posted by chicagofrog
sorry Golgot, she's not. she now lives in Europe. i don't think she'd be angry at me for divulging she's from the US. (i hope so she's not... )
BORN IN THE USA! BORN IN THE USA! That's me!

But having a blast living in Heidelberg Germany and biking through Europe.

Wheely cool bike girl
Originally Posted by Piddzilla
I just got to ask... The underarm area. Is that the armpit or do you mean the part of the arm closest to the hand??
OK, you asked and we are all laughing....
You're so cute and funny!

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by coolbreeze
OK, you asked and we are all laughing....
You're so cute and funny!
Hey, I was being serious. "Underarmen" in swedish means the lower part of your arm, below the elbow. And "överarmen" means the upper part of your arm, above the elbow. You know, the part connected to the shoulder. The shoulder connected to the....

But I can live with cute and funny and kisses and stuff.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Originally Posted by Golgot
Look, for the word propaganda to be accurate in this situation you would need all of those American women to meet up and decide to do this - or at least have a group of clean-armpitted leaders who met up and decided it on their behalf. They don't.

You're using the wrong word. What you're talking about is not a deliberately orchestrated manipulative use of perceptions as a weapon.

That said, if this is a genuine trend, then it's of the 'assuming inferiority' type - which all countries and regions do (but which the US just happens to be capable of doing bigger and 'better' ). Such social beliefs normally come more from the desire to protect your own self image, rather than the desire to attack or harm others. They're more about unconscious defence than conscious attack.

i think you're taking this too serious and too literall.....

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by Tea Barking
Hey kids...

It's post like this one right here that make me keep coming back to this site. Not that any of you care... but I stated it anyways.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing

I think that's a pretty astute supposition. Unfortunately, from the other side, they usually look awfully similar, but it's important to understand the impulse in order to react appropriately.

I don't think American women shave their armpits (Piddy, that's the part by the shoulder) in order to do anything to anyone, it just makes your deodorant stick last longer.

i think you're taking this too serious and too literall.....
Hey man, you're the one who's suggesting americans are deliberately trying to destroy europe's image through hair propaganda.

That's a serious-sounding accusation, and you went all literal with the dictionary trying to back it up too

If you really believe this type of thing is a malicious and deliberate act, then you're the one who's taking it too far. Me, i'm just interested in why people think the things they do from afar .

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I think that's a pretty astute supposition. Unfortunately, from the other side, they usually look awfully similar, but it's important to understand the impulse in order to react appropriately.

I don't think American women shave their armpits (Piddy, that's the part by the shoulder) in order to do anything to anyone, it just makes your deodorant stick last longer.
Cheers for the 'astute' comment darl .

What i wanna know though, is does anyone you know really think european women are hairy above their 'överarmen'? In a disparaging way. Is adidasss right to think there is some europe-belittingling belief of that type knocking round the States?

He's not talking about what you all do with your armpits. He's talking about you all looking down your armpits at us. Different thing.

I know the belittling 'Brits have bad teeth' belief exists, so why not this one. (Honestly. You guys and your propoganda )

I am having a nervous breakdance
What i wanna know though, is does anyone you know really think european women are hairy above their 'överarmen'?
Aha! Above "överarmen" would be the neck ("nacken") and the face ("ansiktet"). Sounds like all european women are working for a travelling circus.

Hey man, you're the one who's suggesting americans are deliberately trying to destroy europe's image through hair propaganda.

That's a serious-sounding accusation, and you went all literal with the dictionary trying to back it up too

If you really believe this type of thing is a malicious and deliberate act, then you're the one who's taking it too far. Me, i'm just interested in why people think the things they do from afar .

i went all literal with the dictionary because you tried to correct me by mispelling the word and giving a wrong explanation of it...
and i still stand by what i said...

history *is* moralizing
and i still stand by what i said...
may i sit while you stand?

i can't stand it any more

adidassssss, i may mispell the odd word (coz i care more about what words mean than how they're spelt), but i was an English teacher for 5 years, and i can guarantee you that you are misusing that word. Either that or you're exceptionally paranoid.

Either way, you're wrong mate

history *is* moralizing
but but but...............
15 men from 20 don't shave!
does it mean depilation is better and more appreciated??