Heavy Rain (SPOILERS!!)

Tools    

You ready? You look ready.
Rather than throwing all of this in The Videogames Tab and worrying about spoilers tags or someone accidentally spoiling someone's playthrough, I'd make this thread. Also, I think the game itself is definitely deserving of its own thread.

First, my thoughts: this game was fantastic and flawed at the same time. There were a handful of times where character actions were glitchy, I saw quite a bit of artifacts, and it even locked up my console twice. So from a technical/coding standpoint...they fumbled the ball. However, the story and immersion is unmatched to anything else I've ever played.

While playing the game this was the first time that I honestly felt like my actions would have serious repercussions to the ending. I found myself pausing the game from time to time to mull over my choices...and sometimes I was torn over what to do.

For this next part I will discuss what ending I got on my first playthrough and what I did to get it, so this is your last chance to avoid any spoilers.

My Choices and Ending:
1.) I didn't kill the Christian zealot.
2.) I ended up having Madison kill the Doctor...and I did not trust that psycho from the beginning, so no drugged drink for me. He knocked me over the head instead, though.
3.) For Ethan's trials I only did the first three. I spared the drug dealer when he got all sappy about his kids (my actual thought process was Ethan is trying to save his kid, but he wouldn't orphan other kids for the sake of that), and I did not drink the poison (once again, trying to save his kid...not orphan him...and I knew I had enough evidence to find out where he was, anyways)
4.) Ethan slept with Madison, and then I forgave her for lying to me.
5.) I saved Lauren and spared Kramer while playing as Scott.
6.) Norman found all the clues and solved the case (I was completely thrown for a loop when I found out the killer was Scott!).
7.) Ethan, Norman, Madison, Lauren, and Shaun all survived. Scott died.

In the end Ethan, Madison, and Shaun moved into a new apartment, while Norman was hailed as the person who found the Origami Killer. He also threw away his drugs...but I'm pretty sure he ended up dying anyways because of too much ARI (they left that one hanging).

I thought it was pretty epic for my first playthrough, I got the exact ending I wanted out of it, and it's all because of MY choices. Taking everything into account...I give the game a solid
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

The People's Republic of Clogher
I got exactly the same ending as you but made a few different choices along the way:

I killed the mad Christian

Madison killed the doc but got drugged

Did all the trials except the 'stepping through electrified wire' one - I chose 'living orphan' when it came to the poison but was fully prepared for the drink to be fake and killed the drug dealer after a lot of deliberation

4 & 5 the same

Madison was the one who figured out it was Scott then I had her phone Jayden

7, as I said, was the same with exactly the same ending

Also, from what I can remember now:

Madison didn't do the striptease because I'm not that much of a perv. She still got her information though.

I'll give it another playthrough soon.

I replayed it last night, starting from Hassan's shop, and finished the "Perfect Crime" and "Trial Master" trophies (yes, I've turned into a trophy whore ). Basically, everyone dies (except for Shaun and Ethan) and the killer gets away. Rather bleak and depressing, if you ask me.

Anyways, as I said in the videogames tab I've seen almost all the endings. I have like 6 left that I need to see, but you can easily get them once you've done the "Perfect Crime" trophy because you only need to go as for back as "On the Loose" to alter the endings. I should have seen them all by the end of tonight.

I personally preferred my first ending/playthrough.

Yahtzee has finally got round to reviewing Heavy Rain and he's possibly managed to articulate why I've not yet felt the slightest inclination to replay any portion of the game in order to see some of the 'alternative' endings - The killer is always the same person.

I know there are all sorts of different ways to reach the denouement and myriad types of fallout from these ways but I think the point is a valid one.

The reason for my Heavy Rain avoidance is either this or my previous post in the Games tab about interactive movies/games not being the way in which I want this particular mode of entertainment to develop because, well, I don't want to play a movie. Especially not one, when you take it as a cinematic experience, is no better than Saw.

Yahtzee doesn't slag Heavy Rain off completely, however, and this usually means he quite likes it. Link

Yea, I see your points (it was annoying to see the same thing over and over again on following playthroughs). It was still a very impressive game, anyways. I beat the crap out of it, too. I watched all the endings and got all the trophies, so I gave it back to my friend after that. No more sense in keeping it.

Yep, I still think it's a very good game but if I'm not minded to stick it in the machine sometime soon, it'll get traded. The replayability (is that even a word? ) that it promised just isn't showing itself.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Yeah, the repeatability of this game just doesn't seem good. If the killer were different each and every time you chose to do something different, then it would probably make you want to play more. Only person killed off for me was the detective due to a controller malfunction and of course the origami killer himself as the chick pushed him off at the end. Good game though and looking forward to a sequel.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I haven't played it in a while, but my memory tells me it went a little something like this.

I killed the Christian guy, because I felt that the reasoning was going to end badly.
I killed the doctor as well, that dude was super creepy.
As for Ethan's trials, I did them all, except for the electrified wire. I killed the drug dealer and drunk the poison.
Ethan had sex with Madison, and got mad with her for lying.
Madison was the one who found out and phoned Ethan, but he didn't make it to the docks. Jayden was killed earlier by the mechanic.
The ending was Scott dead, Norman dead, Ethan and Madison live happily ever after.

Amazing game, puts so many others to shame.

Heavy Rain is an amazing game. I forgot what I chose though. Any of you played the pre order bonus?