The Movie Forums Top 100 of All-Time Refresh: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I know everyone's really curious and tense about the reveal tomorrow, which I'm preposting and formatting in a private forum so we're ready to go live right on the dot tomorrow. Figured I'd snap a quick picture of my cat, Fezzik, to distract you guys for a bit...
If he eats something that disagrees with him would I be right in thinking he gets Fezzikly sick?

If he eats something that disagrees with him would I be right in thinking he gets Fezzikly sick?
That literally never happened until just now, when I read him this post.

That literally never happened until just now, when I read him this post.
Pffft, clearly he has a weak constitution then

A system of cells interlinked
I know everyone's really curious and tense about the reveal tomorrow, which I'm preposting and formatting in a private forum so we're ready to go live right on the dot tomorrow. Figured I'd snap a quick picture of my cat, Fezzik, to distract you guys for a bit:

I thought his name was Paul?

I know everyone's really curious and tense about the reveal tomorrow, which I'm preposting and formatting in a private forum so we're ready to go live right on the dot tomorrow. Figured I'd snap a quick picture of my cat, Fezzik, to distract you guys for a bit:

What a beautiful creature. The cat's nice too.

Final Reveal Facts

The top two films were on the SAME number of lists (31), AND had the same number of first-place votes (5). They were ultimately separated by just SEVEN POINTS. And to make things even crazier, the very last ballot counted flipped their position. And there's a story behind that last minute change that you'll hear in a short podcast with @TheUsualSuspect tomorrow, released alongside the final two films.

The Godfather was #2 on the small/informal list BobbyB did in 2007. It was #1 on the 2010 list. And it would appear it's going to be first or second here. But will it stay #1, or will we have a new champion?

Place your bets.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé

Not my first Scorcese growing up, but Goodfellas is the film that truly got my full attention, and thereby, my admiration and respect for the man.
Depending on who you spoke with, this is the film that either threatened the #1 Spot or actually replaced The Godfather as the All-Time Gangster Film regarding The Rise and Fall pathos of a Mafia genre film.
For myself, it is a d@mn close second. D@mn close.

Focusing on the Lower Level, street soldiers, specifically Henry Hill's love for The Life as a kid, to his involvement, rise, and eventual crash and burn where he testifies against everyone for fear of his life. Scorcese takes on the full gambit of both the charm and the brutality of said life with a mercurial brilliance. While exhibiting just how quickly a happy, laugh-filled moment could so easily erupt in bloodshed without pretense or warning.
The characters and dialogue are memorable. Scorcese avoids the Larger Than Life personas, delving into a more realistic depiction of those he films.

It has actually been almost a decade since I've watched this film and when I did, it was countlessly. Making it so easy to recollect it all and, at this moment, stirs a serious ache to revisit it.

Movies Watched 81 out of 98 (82.62%)
2. Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid (1969) #81
4. Casablanca (1942) #4
7. Amadeus (1984) #50
8. Lafabuleux Destin d'Amelie Poulan aka Amélie (2001) #???
10. The Big Lebowski (1998) #18
13. The Wizard of Oz (1939) #36
16. The Third Man (1949) #48
20. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) #8
23. Metropolis (1927) #73
25. Cyrano de Bergerac (1950) One Pointer

Rectification List
Day of the Jackal (1973) One Pointer
To Kill A Mockingbird (#85) *rewatch*

Love Goodfellas. Along with Taxi Driver, my favorite two Scorsese films. Didn't include it on my list. Just love it all, but especially Joe Pesci going ballistic over the "shine box" comment, then the kicking and Ray Liotta quickly locking the doors. Great scene in a great movie.

19. The Searchers #97
1. To Kill a Mockingbird #85
25. Die Hard #63
14. Rear Window #40
8. It's a Wonderful Life #38
2. Aliens #37
13. The Wizard of Oz #36
9. Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back #30
3. Lawrence of Arabia #15
11. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring #11 (same as the list proper)
23, Apocalypse Now #9
10. Raiders of the Lost Ark #8
21. Jaws #6

I might as well reveal my ballot now cuz why not.

1. Stalker (#25)
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey (either #2 or #1)
3. Eraserhead
4. The Tree of Life (#62)
5. Late Spring
6. Persona (#45)
7. Vertigo (#19)
8. The Good, The Bad and the Ugly (#23)
9. Man With a Movie Camera
10. Come and See (#54)
11. A Moment of Innocence
12. Andrei Rublev (#67)
13. It Happened One Night
14. The Wild Bunch
15. Paths of Glory
16. Koyaanisqatsi
17. The Bridge on the River Kwai
18. A Clockwork Orange (#32)
19. Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors
20. Out of the Past
21. Le Samourai
22. To Be or Not to Be
23. Seconds
24. City Lights
25. Touch of Evil

Also, here are the final eight films on my favorites list which I had to leave off of my ballot:

26. Holy Motors
27. Sansho the Bailiff
28. M
29. All That Jazz
30. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (#33)
31. The House is Black
32. The Phantom Carriage
33. The Battle of Algiers

Also, I'll like to thank @Yoda and @TheUsualSuspect for putting this list together.

1. Goodfellas
3. Casablanca
6. American Beauty
8. Taxi Driver
9. A Clockwork Orange
11. The Seven Samourai
13. Chinatown
18. City of God
19. The Apartment
21. Die Hard

And that's the end of my ballot

Final Reveal Facts

The top two films were on the SAME number of lists (31), AND had the same number of first-place votes (5). They were ultimately separated by just SEVEN POINTS. And to make things even crazier, the very last ballot counted flipped their position. And there's a story behind that last minute change that you'll hear in a short podcast with @TheUsualSuspect tomorrow, released alongside the final two films.
Daaamn, I know I've said that I think The Godfather is the sure-fire #1, but knowing how close the margin is, it really is a toss-up. I'll stick with my original prediction but it's exciting that it's this close.

1. Goodfellas
3. Casablanca
6. American Beauty
8. Taxi Driver
9. A Clockwork Orange
11. The Seven Samourai
13. Chinatown
18. City of God
19. The Apartment
21. Die Hard

And that's the end of my ballot
Whoa - you only sent a partial list in and didn't even number it correctly???

I think the movie from my list I'm most disappointed didn't make the countdown is Parasite, because I really thought it had a chance. Granted, I only gave it three points, but it's definitely a case where I wish I could have crammed all my films into the top five. As it turned out the only movie (unless I missed something) from the last decade to make the countdown was Tree of Life, which came out in 2011. (And Parasite is waaay better than Tree of Life.) Other films I considered from this last decade were Take Shelter, Drive, and Midnight in Paris, which I watched pretty much once a month for the first year after it came out. Anyhow, if you haven't seen it and you like bold films check out Parasite.

Films that were on my list but which I eventually cut were Wages of Fear, which I now wish I'd stuck with, and a couple comedies, Life of Brian and The Jerk. As a Charlie Chaplin fan, I went back and forth with either City Lights or Modern Times. I had Modern Times on my list. For Kurosawa, I considered Rashomon, but eventually went with High and Low, which really is my favorite Kurosawa. None of them made it, of course, but I'm glad Ikiru made the countdown.

Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind is only my fourth favorite Charlie Kaufman-penned film, behind Being John Malcovich, Adaptation, and his ultimate masterpiece, and his directorial debut, Synecdoche, New York, which I had in my top ten. Obviously it had no chance of making the countdown.

There was only one director with two films on my list, and that was Fritz Lang. Metropolis, which made it, and his first sound picture M, which is as powerful a film as I've ever seen. There was no way I was going to leave either one off my list.

I'll put up my full list tomorrow along with everyone else.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Final Reveal Facts

The Godfather was #2 on the small/informal list BobbyB did in 2007. It was #1 on the 2010 list. And it would appear it's going to be first or second here. But will it stay #1, or will we have a new champion?

Place your bets.
Cool. A podcast!

Goodfellas is my number 2 Scorsese film when you exclude any documentaries, then it'snumber three. The Departed and The Last Waltz are my favorites.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I might as well reveal my ballot now cuz why not.

1. Stalker (#25)
2. 2001: A Space Odyssey (either #2 or #1)
3. Eraserhead
4. The Tree of Life (#62)
5. Late Spring
6. Persona (#45)
7. Vertigo (#19)
8. The Good, The Bad and the Ugly (#23)
9. Man With a Movie Camera
10. Come and See (#54)
11. A Moment of Innocence
12. Andrei Rublev (#67)
13. It Happened One Night
14. The Wild Bunch
15. Paths of Glory
16. Koyaanisqatsi
17. The Bridge on the River Kwai
18. A Clockwork Orange (#32)
19. Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors
20. Out of the Past
21. Le Samourai
22. To Be or Not to Be
23. Seconds
24. City Lights
25. Touch of Evil

Also, here are the final eight films on my favorites list which I had to leave off of my ballot:

26. Holy Motors
27. Sansho the Bailiff
28. M
29. All That Jazz
30. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (#33)
31. The House is Black
32. The Phantom Carriage
33. The Battle of Algiers

Also, I'll like to thank @Yoda and @TheUsualSuspect for putting this list together.
How dare you leave Sansho off! Hope it wasn't too close or I'll blame you

The Adventure Starts Here!

Ha! I thought I was being all sneaky by peeking at whatever was on your phone screen there behind Fezzik... until I looked a little closer. Now who's the sneaky one?

Well played.