What I'm Watching

Tools    

I am the Watcher in the Night
Where? FX (UK)

Is it any good? It's pretty damn good. As a King fan (haven't read this particular book) I feel his movie/TV adaptations have been average at best (The Shining) or just plain horrible (Carrie). The Shawshank Redemption is obviously an anomaly. This show can be added to the list of anomalies.

James Franco is at his weird best in this one, every scene he's in manages to crack me up, even when it's not meant to be funny and it somehow works. Maybe it's the paranoid 1960s setting, or the ridiculous time travel plot or the fact that everyone else around him is trying to be so damn serious. It's a weird mix which makes for intriguing television.

Will I be watching again? After the first 2 episodes, yes I will.

Rating: 2.5/5

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

Dammit. I didn't know this had already started.

Is it? I had no idea. What will they do with the Katrina story?
wiki says they're going to concentrate on the aftermath of it. I think I've heard people saying it'll be from multiple viewpoints/victims.

Dammit. I didn't know this had already started.

wiki says they're going to concentrate on the aftermath of it. I think I've heard people saying it'll be from multiple viewpoints/victims.
But then it's not a crime story Or is it more about the governments lack of effort, which is honestly a crime.

Better Call Saul Season 2
Where? netflix

Is it any good? Litigation, so much more litigation....and paper work, filing, dates, signatures...Lord! But in all seriousness, this is far better than season 1 and genuinely entertaining and violent at times. The already brilliant writing is once against coupled with a more Breaking Bad-esque framework.

There are certain divisive aspects to the new season, such as diverging story paths for Saul and Mike, at times so different they feel like 2 different tv shows. Did we really need to know every minute detail of Mikes life before Walter White? I'm of the opinion we didn't. But hey, at least it brought us some shooting.

In terms of Saul, he is as magnetic as ever and just as slick. It's great fun watching him and his dynamic relationship with Kim is one of the best on screen...ever. There's none of the smarmy, cheesy bs we're used to. This is straight up real dawg...as people in California would say.

Will I be watching again? Yes. Bring on season 3.

Rating: 3/5

Game of Thrones Season 6 (Spoilers)
Where? Sky Atlantic/HBO

Is it any good? Oh what a run for this series, a thrilling first season, an even better second season and then the drop with season 3. Season 4 was a sustained resurgence and I was like, "Ok, I know the next couple books are dull but season 5 can liven things up"....It didn't. The last 3 episodes were exceptional but it may not have been enough to save my interest.

So here we are, 2 episodes into season 6 and a complete divergence from the books. We've had Roose Bolton killed by his own son, we had a little baby torn apart by dogs and some actual comedy...yes, comedy. Not the Tyrion type either but genuine,3 idiots style comedy. I liked that. The fact that it came from the Dothraki was even better.

So, onto those big deaths...does it even matter at this stage? Zero build up involved. They seem to have been thrown in just for the heck of it, like the "rape" scene last season. Oh and Jon Snow's alive, like most people predicted, the method of his resurrection was predicted too. Nothing dramatic about it.

Hopefully episode 3 is better or I might have to turn off.

Will I be watching again? Maybe...stay tuned for more.

Rating: 2/5 thus far

You thought the second season was better than the first but what you're watching now is putting you off? Man, I can't even imagine how awful it must be. Season 2 was enough to put the mockers on it for me.

You thought the second season was better than the first but what you're watching now is putting you off? Man, I can't even imagine how awful it must be. Season 2 was enough to put the mockers on it for me.
Huh mockers? lol you got to translate for a southern lad

Usually it means to put a jinx on something, but I usually use/have heard it used to means that something put an end to something. So, if you were telling someone about a plan to have a BBQ but it rained it'd be something like; we were going to have a BBQ, but then it rained, so that put the mockers on that.

Stranger Things

Where? Netflix

Is it any good? If you like 80s movies, everything from Aliens to The Goonies is covered, then you will love this. I grew up as a kid in the 90s watching Gremlins, ET and so on and this takes me right back to my childhood of watching those old movie reruns. Having said that, this is more than just a homage and will keep you hooked on it's own premise.

There are a few problems though, all the usual cliches concerning pre-teens and teens, the good old fashioned all American town is annoying as **** and those bikes...kids constantly riding around in bikes. Then again, that's the whole point of the show, it's meant to be the 80s, through and through.

Will I be watching again? A few issues but most definitely worth a watch, I'm almost at the finale and I will most certainly be watching.

Rating: 3/5

Will I be watching again? A few issues

What are those issues? In my opinion Winona Ryder is a big issue. I don't even think she's a bad actor but for some reason she's not meshing well with the show.

What are those issues? In my opinion Winona Ryder is a big issue. I don't even think she's a bad actor but for some reason she's not meshing well with the show.
Like I said, some of the cliches are a real problem. The usual teen stuff, the kids stuff etc but I realise it's meant to be that way. It's an almost scene for scene homage to every classic 80s movie.

In terms of Winona I agree, I've never found her to be a good actress and she seems kinda over the top here, always shaking and looking harassed. But the kids hit it out the park and the Sheriff is a great new face.

Sherlock (Season 4)
Where? BBC One

Is it any good? All style and no substance. This should be the by line of the last several Sherlock episodes. Ultimately, much like everything else Gattis and Moffat have done for the BBC lately, it's a show that crumbles under its own presumption of genius. The smarter it thinks it is, the dumber it becomes.

Even the style and flash isn't worth it. A prime example is the scene in the aquarium, where it's pretty obvious that they haven't bothered filming inside the location and have put up screens showing fish swimming around. This is children's tv bad. Oh and the action scenes dotted around every ten minutes have the production value of a Nollywood movie. I won't waste anymore time on this one.

Will I be watching again? It's elementary my dear ... oh **** it, of course not.

Rating: 1/5

I do all of my TV viewing online so I don't watch a lot of stuff on pay channels, but these are the TV shows that are on my regular prime time viewing schedule...I think the easiest way to do this is by network/channel:

ABC: The Real O Neals, Fresh off the Boat, The Goldbergs, American Housewife, Modern Family, Black-ish, Speechless, Designated Survivor, Grey's Anatomy, Scandal, Notorious, Last Man Standing

CBS: 2 Broke Girls, Man with a Plan, The Odd Couple, Bull, Criminal Minds, Mom, Life in Pieces, Blue Bloods

NBC: Law & Order: SVU, This is Us

FOX: Son of Zorn, Family Guy, Gotham, Empire, New Girl, Brooklyn Nine Nine, Pitch, The Mick, Scream Queens

The CW: Supergirl

SHOWTIME: The Affair