Lynchian 2016 in Film: Reviewed & Rated

Tools    

The Witch
Dir. Robert Eggars
(out of 5 )

One of many great slow-burn horror thrillers of 2016. I'm willing to say that The Witch is a modern near-masterpiece of not only the 'horror' genre, but modern filmmaking in general. The fact that this is David Eggers first feature film is astonishing, and I absolutely can't wait for whatever he does next.

This goes to places other films wouldn't dare to even hint at. The implications are many, and the more you think them over in your head, the more troubling and unsettling they become. The Witch conjures legit feelings of endless fear, disturbing provocations, and some truly unforgettable images that you will certainly want to wipe clean from your memory.

To say it merely gets under your skin would be to shortchange it; this one brands itself upon the spirit. Eggers knows just the right amount to feed the audiences, leaving one soaked in dread with much to discuss and process.

An expertly crafted bewitching experience that has been unfortunately wasted upon those lacking patience or even some intelligence. This is genuine horror in the classic sense, a type of cinema we rarely get anymore. Oh, and that glorious soundtrack! And those impeccable performances! And that perfect ending! And Black Phillip! I could go on...
Jurassic Park Dominion- 0.5/5
What Josiah Saw- (4.5/5)

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Dir. Zack Snyder
(out of 5 )

It seems The Dark Knight was a bit a blessing and a curse to the comic book adaptation cinematic universe. As now it seems a sense of fun and humor has run dry when it comes to most of them. The only other one to get the dark tone right, in my opinion, is M. Night Shyamalan's Unbreakable (his unsung masterpiece, really.) Marvel seems to still have some life in it yet, but even they have succumbed to the dour comic adaptation syndrome. Just look at that depressing "movie" called F4ntastic Four-- or is it Fantastic 4our-- 4tastic 4? I don't even know anymore.

Batman v Superman is yet another bloated, lifeless, humorless, dreary, attempt at bringing "grit" and "realism" to a story about a flying alien man vs a regular old dude who happens to moonlight as a crime fighting guy in a bat suit. It's the battle of cape vs. cape, only there's not much of a battle going on. There's certainly an overly drawn out build up to the showoff, which lasts about 10 minutes. And then of course, they put their differences aside to battle a cgi monstrosity for what feels like three hours. {I didn't really spoil anything as it's in the damn trailer outright).

BvS is only a slight improvement over Man of Steel, as it seems Snyder took note of that film's criticism, especially the repercussions of the orgy of chaotic destruction that ended that first film. Snyder can also put together a thrilling action sequence or two (an early car chase involving the batmobile is coherently edited and exciting) it's just he doesn't know when to stop, and then your ass goes numb, and there's too much stuffing thrown in to the point that you've barely registered one moment when another bit of nonsense comes along to smack you over the head. Like all these ensemble comic flicks, it's overstuffed and unfocused. And just.too.much. Eisenberg gives everything he can to bring some energy to the proceedings, but as much as I like the guy, he's just sorely miscast and far from threatening. The rest of the cast is either wasted (Amy Adams, Holly Hunter) or bland and dull (Cavill, and regrettably Affleck.)

Snyder has never really been a great director, but I have liked some of his previous work-- Watchmen remains his crowning achievement, which also was long, and filled to the brim with characters, and pitch black, but he pulled it off and stayed true to the spirit of the graphic novel. BvS is simply a pale imitation. "Do you bleed?" Batman snarls at one point, I was too busy asking myself "Do I snore too loud?"

Watching a man getting pulled from the theater on a stretcher was far more involving and interesting than this film as a whole. Maybe this stuff just isn't my cup of tea anymore. Let's hope Suicide Squad gets it right.

Hail, Caesar!
Dir(s) Joel and Ethan Coen

I tried to have fun with Hail, Caesar! but I was too distracted by how much wasted talent was being presented on screen. This is the Coens in lightweight lark mode, which is all well and fine, but unfortunately it's more Intolerable Cruelty and The Ladykillers rather than the dark, hysterically pointless, Burn After Reading or their classic The Big Lebowski. The goings on become progressively tedious and depressingly humorless. The sparkling A-list cast are mostly reduced to glorified cameos, and even worse, not given anything of interest to do. In fact, this was the first Coen's film I ever walked out of, not because it was the absolute worst film I had seen. But simply because I just no longer cared and wasn't the least bit engaged.

This could have been a blast, but it's entirely forgettable, and a rare misstep from two of the greatest filmmakers working today.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
The Witch
Dir. Robert Eggars
(out of 5 )

An expertly crafted bewitching experience that has been unfortunately wasted upon those lacking patience or even some intelligence.
Exactly, my theater was full of people who didn't speak English as a first language and people who wanted to see another Insidious or Sinister. People were rude and talking throughout the film just because they couldn't understand it, parents who brought their children to this film ended up leaving because the kids couldn't understand it either. I actually heard a Filipino mention to his wife something along the lines of "What are they saying? this is white people movie, lets go." before they took their 3 small children and left. By the end of the movie I think I was the only one who hadn't moved from their seat. You can kind of tell this by the rotten tomatoes score. The site gave the film 90% certified fresh, but out of the 29000 odd user ratings the film only has a 54% audience approval. The film as I see it, is definitely one for genre fans more than anything.

Well, I've been gone a while due to my mother's health issues (she's doing well again.) I feel like I am always a bearer of bad tidings, but I do have a happy life. For the most part. THANKS WINE! Anyway, updates to come in 5 4 3 2 1 (hour)

thanks for the patience, as if anyone cares.

THE NEON DEMON

4 out of 4

"So, are you food? Or sex?"

Nicolas Winding Refn’s feast for the senses is one of the most original slices of unconventional horror, as well as one of his best films to date. Perfectly casted throughout, with Elle Fanning and an Oscar worthy Jena Malone in tow. The Neon Demon is as divisive as any Refn film has been, but whether you love it or hate it, you won’t forget it. Intoxicating; from the opening credits I knew I was in for something special and different and it only went up from there. Kudos to Cliff Martinez for another incredible original score, as well as a great use of Sia over the lovely ending credits. At one point Fanning's Jessie asks 'Are we having a party or something?', for this viewer, absolutely. If you are a fan of pure cinema, you will dig this this entirely. My current favorite film of 2016 and the first that truly blew me away upon first viewing. I can only rejoice. And seeing it twice in theaters was not nearly enough.

A BIGGER SPLASH

3.5 out of 4

A tantalizing, scrumptious feast. A BIGGER SPLASH is a worthy follow up to Luca Guadagnino’s I Am Love. Featuring one of the best ensembles of the year, including Tilda Swinton, Ralph Fiennes, Dakota Johnson, and Matthias Schoenaerts. Brilliantly edited, shot, and performed, with a great soundtrack to boot. A mouth watering, sun drenched, melodrama of the best kind. Wildly entertaining and entirely sexy. The third act may be jarring to some, but upon second viewing it worked even better. The real star is Guadagnino's handling of the camera, with shots that literally made my jaw drop and had me wondering 'How'd he pull that off?'. If you love deliciously sexed up melodrama, then A BIGGER SPLASH is for you. The perfect film for the summer season.

4 out of 4

Only the second film of which I have given a 4 out of 4, perfect score rating, THE WAILING is like nothing else. Beginning as a over-the-top, dark, horror-comedy, THE WAILING sets up the audience so perfectly before subverting expectations and transforming into the one of the most original, thought-provoking, deliciously bizarre, and haunting horror films I’ve ever seen. Mysticism, crime procedural, mythology, murder, suspicion, occultism, and religion (among other themes) collide, forming an unforgettable experience of pure horror and dread. At nearly three hours, THE WAILING is so compulsively watchable and absorbing that it feels more like 90 minutes. It flies by, but the thought provoking, unforgettable, ending will send your mind reeling for days. My second favorite film, only topped by the THE NEON DEMON, by a split hair.

Exactly, my theater was full of people who didn't speak English as a first language and people who wanted to see another Insidious or Sinister. People were rude and talking throughout the film just because they couldn't understand it, parents who brought their children to this film ended up leaving because the kids couldn't understand it either. I actually heard a Filipino mention to his wife something along the lines of "What are they saying? this is white people movie, lets go." before they took their 3 small children and left. By the end of the movie I think I was the only one who hadn't moved from their seat. You can kind of tell this by the rotten tomatoes score. The site gave the film 90% certified fresh, but out of the 29000 odd user ratings the film only has a 54% audience approval. The film as I see it, is definitely one for genre fans more than anything.
I honestly would have lost it and left myself just because of the insufferable audience. And who the **** brings a child to a film like this? Besides idiots.