The MoFo Top 100 of the 60s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I could see The Graduate showing today or tomorrow. I love that movie to pieces, but it is one that seems to fall in and out of favor. Not just with youngins who think it is dated, but even Roger Ebert reassessed it downward at its thirtieth anniversary. I hope I'm wrong and it as at least top twenty-five material, but I have a bad feeling.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I could see The Graduate showing today or tomorrow. I love that movie to pieces, but it is one that seems to fall in and out of favor. Not just with youngins who think it is dated, but even Roger Ebert reassessed it downward at its thirtieth anniversary. I hope I'm wrong and it as at least top twenty-five material, but I have a bad feeling.
Really? I have a feeling it'll edge into the top ten.

Lets have a couple more guesses otherwise the three posts will be stuck at the bottom of this page. One director has appeared on the countdown before, and one hasn't. That's all the clues I'll give

The Breakdown...

The Haunting

2nd (24 points), 5th (21 points), 6th (20 points), 2x 9th (34 points), 2x 14th (24 points), 15th (11 points), 16th (10 points), 17th (9 points), 22nd (4 points), 23rd (3 points)

Pierrot Le Fou

2x 1st (50 points), 2x 4th (44 points), 9th (17 points), 12th (14 points), 2x 14th (24 points), 16th (10 points), 20th (6 points),

Notes

Both films were the only to receive their respective amount of points so not tie breaking was needed.

The Haunting is atmospheric awesomeness. I remember seeing it as a kid and being scared for weeks. Great film. I had it at #16 on my list.

Pierrot le Fou is okay. I haven't been too impressed by Godard yet.

The Haunting is the 3rd from my list...

9. The Haunting (1963) - 42nd
10. True Grit (1969) - 69th
15. Cape Fear (1962) - 84th

The Haunting was close to making my list. As Swan said its incredibly atmospheric, and just well made overall. Was probably only five spots away from making mine.

Pierrot Le Fout wasn't one of the three Godard's I watched for this I will at some point. Pretty surprised at how better it did than Breathless.

Seen - 28/60
My List - 3/25

Pierrot Le Fou was twelfth on my list. Everyone around here should know I am a huge Godard fan, and I had a handful of his films on my list, all around the same point. I'm glad it managed to break in to the top fifty. I own it on Blu-ray and think it's another really playful, clever film, it's also again beautiful to look at.

Last Year at Marienbad I also had on my list, in fifth place. Maybe a little high, but I thought it was a masterpiece, I was blown away by it. I watched it fairly close to the deadline, and posted about it in Mark's thread too. Fantastic imagery and a really powerful mysterious story pulling you in at the center of it. It also made me learn how to play Nim.

You can also see my actual rankings of Elmer Gantry and A Hard Day's Night.

1. ---
  2. ---
  3. ---
  4. ---
  5. Last Year at Marienbad
  6. ---
  7. Army of Shadows
  8. Contempt
  9. ---
  10. ---
  11. ---
  12. Pierrot Le Fou
  13. ---
  14. ---
  15. ---
  16. ---
  17. L’Avventura
  18. Andrei Rublev
  19. ---
  20. Elmer Gantry
  21. ---
  22. ---
  23. ---
  24. A Hard Day's Night
  25. ---

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
I only saw "The Haunting" once and I really did not like it at all. But I hated the book The Haunting of Hill House, which it is based on. So, I was probably a little prejudiced while watching it. I have always wanted to give that movie another try, but I've never gotten around to it. Maybe my opinion will change. Who knows?