I'm Becoming a Fabulous Atheist

Tools    

You want to post like me?
Really? Am I ignorant about the physical characteristics of things that don't exist?
Oh no. How can I go on.

And is poncing around on clouds (or in clouds, or on top of mountains in the clouds) is the definition of a god is it!? Must have missed that one in the dictionary.

Wow! What about all those water gods and earth gods?
Is that why they are now classed as dumb ass superstition, because they stupidly forgot to move up to cloudland?
That explains it!
A Buddha is nothing than a person who has achieved complete enlightenment. If you're referring to Buddha Shakyamuni, well he was just a prince with a good idea. What's superstitious about that my all knowing friend?

If he thinks homosexuality is some sort of major problem, I think he's wrong
Really? What religion are you in then?
You mean you've found one that does not condemn Homosexuals (can't be Islam then, The Quran states that walls should be pushed on them and that they be thrown from cliffs).

So either you've made up your own religion (hey, join the club) or in fact you're just ignoring parts of a religion and as such are not truly a representative of it!

After all, we can hardly say that The Pope does not truly represent Catholicism can we?

OR it could be that you don't see (I noticed your wording there) that Homosexuals are a MAJOR problem. You just see them as a smaller one.
Hope not! Sounds pretty much the same as racism that.

And oh yeah...Those so called militant Atheists. What rot!

You seem to have ignored the order of events.

Person A - Religious sort
Person - B - Atheist.

Person A walks past person B and punches him in the face because his God told him to.
Person B punches back in retaliation.

But Person B would have quite happily walked on by Person A and not bothered them at all if Person A had not punched them.
See?

OR..Person A punches Person B because his God told him to and a watching Person C (Atheist) quite rightly takes offence at this and calls Person A out on his actions.
Again Person C would otherwise have had no dealings with Person A.

So really, in either case, Person A can't really ****ing complain about the reactions to what he did and why he did it.

Simple really. Rational even.

And oh yeah...Those so called militant Atheists. What rot!

You seem to have ignored the order of events.

Person A - Religious sort
Person - B - Atheist.

Person A walks past person B and punches him in the face because his God told him to.
Person B punches back in retaliation.

But Person B would have quite happily walked on by Person A and not bothered them at all if Person A had not punched them.
See?

OR..Person A punches Person B because his God told him to and a watching Person C (Atheist) quite rightly takes offence at this and calls Person A out on his actions.
Again Person C would otherwise have had no dealings with Person A.

So really, in either case, Person A can't really ****ing complain about the reactions to what he did and why he did it.

Simple really. Rational even.
Generalization really. Stupidity even.

Look at what is happening to my obsolete fabulous atheist thread....

You ready? You look ready.
In semi-response to MattJohn's scare quotes around the word "holy", nobody's saying that bricks and mortar are holy; it's a symbol, made holy by its use. If you believe anything can be holy, I see no reason why a Church would have to be otherwise.
I don't mean the building itself is "holy," but its use (which is exactly what you're saying). I just ain't buying that one bit...unless you got a stamp of approval from God, of course.

I'm not so sure about that. Golgot and I actually touched on this in another thread, and it's way too involved to reproduce easily, but I think an argument can be made that these things are the natural and cumulative result of free will, all the same. We don't know a lot about what causes some of these disasters, either.

That said, even if one were to operate under the assumption that these were not the result of free will, I'm not sure they make a great argument against God's goodness, anyway; if we're accepting, for the sake of argument, that God exists, then even natural disasters pale in importance to what comes later. The argument is sort of a catch-22: it's an argument that's predicated on the horror of suffering AND the existence of God, yet the existence of God undercuts the argument by lessening the relative importance of things that happen here and now. Kinda funny that way.

It sounds glib, to be sure, and I won't pretend it's comforting to anyone who experiences loss. I fully expect to be somewhat revolted with this line of thought at some point in my life, but that doesn't mean it's wrong.
Quick response to this one; natural disasters are a result of the "fall of man" and his exercise of "freewill." Of course, I ain't buying that we have freewill either, so leave me outta that mess.

Oh boy! Irony alert!
Although I doubt you'll ever see it.

Yeah...Scientology is SOOOO absurd. Not remotely to be taken as seriously as all those other 'proper' beliefs. Those oh so rational ones.

Next they'll go to even greater heights of absurdity and waffle on about
72 virgins in paradise up for grabs,
Coming back from the dead,
Global creation in a week,
Egyptians and dinosaurs going for walks together,
Reincarnation,
Talking bushes
Parting seas by waving staffs about,
Boats that can take examples of every animal in the world and still have room for a sunbathe,
Instant cures for lepers
Instantly multiplying foodstuffs
And invisible beings judging us all for liking dick, having breasts and not believing in invisible beings!

And then Scientology really would be very different from any other beliefs and far too absurd to be taken seriously...I see your point.
Oh boy, talk about absurd!

6 billion years ago the universe *just happened* to explode outward
3.5 billion years ago a star and planets *just happened* to form in our solar system
3 billion years ago Earth *just happened* to form an oxygen atomsphere
1 billion years ago amino acids *just happened* to form proteins
250 million years ago dinosaurs *just happened* to rule the Earth
2.2 million years ago the homo species *just happened* to appear
250,000 years ago homo sapiens *just happened* to appear
10,000 years ago homo sapiens *just happened* to settle across the globe and form advance civilizations

Of course, none of this is evidence for a Creator...but the history of the universe and our own solar system is a pretty freaking absurd occurrence!

Then again, the Earth was just created 5 minutes ago.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Generalization really. Stupidity even.
Oh dear...It jumps to the defence all the time.
We looking for a place on God's upturned right digit are we?
Hedging our little bets JUST in case?

Well, lets just say I'm keeping my accurate remarks simple to understand for those who truly believe in supernatural entities.

Oh no...have I shown disrespect for myth?
Shame on me. I guess I'lll miss out on paradise when my time comes.
No celestial virgin raping for me then.

Oh dear...It jumps to the defence all the time.
We looking for a place on God's upturned right digit are we?
Hedging our little bets JUST in case?
Not really no. I'm much more prone to believe in Buddhism than in any other religion. That doesn't mean I can't call people out when they're being, well, dumb.

Well, lets just say I'm keeping my accurate remarks simple to understand for those who truly believe in supernatural entities.
Your accurate remarks? Did you put accurate in italics because you were being sarcastic? Because that's the only way any sensible person would agree with you.
Oh no...have I shown disrespect for myth?
Shame on me. I guess I'lll miss out on paradise when my time comes.
No celestial virgin raping for me then.
[/quote]

Listen, you need to shut up and learn.
First of all, the Muslim paradise isn't that male chauvinistic. There's a corresponding paradise for women in Islam. The Koran doesn't really specify what it is, but merely states that it's 'something like' the male paradise, only seen from a womans perspective. You're just generalizing the extremist's beliefs and applying them to every Muslim. Every Muslim isn't a terrorist just like every believer in God doesn't ride around in horse carriages. I know, shocking right?
Second of all, do you even realize how many people you've offended hugely by your ignorant, "accurate" remarks? According to you, all believers are militant, aggressive people who "punches other people in the face" for not believing. Lemme ask you, who punched you in the face in here to deserve your aggression, border lining hatred?
Thirdly you categorized Buddha Shakyamuni as a supernatural figure, which clearly shows just how ignorant you are.
Fourthly, why do you feel that you have to force your lack of belief onto everyone else? Doesn't that make you just as bad as those "militant, aggressive believers"? No it makes you worse. At least aggressive believers are trying to save your soul. You're just trying to take everyones beliefs away. Why?
Religion might seem silly to you but why can't you just, well, shut the **** up? "Oh, now he's attacking my freedom of speech", no I'm attacking your ignorance. What I just wrote doesn't apply to everyone. It applies to you and people like you. Freedom of speech is a right, but it doesn't mean you have to exercise that right, just because you're under the delusion that you have all the answers. And how can you know all the answers when you don't even know the questions? The questions being the source material on which these religions are based on.
Read a book, might I suggest the bible?

Ahhhh....Sweet.
At last, not hedging bets but jumping full on the typical loony fantasist train.
I love it when supernatural fanboys (hey, Buddhism can join the rest you know in sky fairy la la land) act all ****ing smug.

No one who believes on pixies can really act smug. Comes from believing in pixies.
Even Buddhist ones.
And hey, Buddha was a big babe who floated in the clouds...i know...TV's "Monkey" proved it. Buddha had one hell of a big digit to sit on as well.
I never mentioned Shakyamuni whatisname.

And as I said...as long as delusionists SH1T on the world, and specifically her country, my young daughter has to grow up in with their ****ing real world laws, persecutions, hate and judgements based on ****ING SUPERNATURAL GARBAGE I'll call them out on it.
As long as knuckle-dragging filth shrieks out "God is great" before blowing themselves and others up in my country, where my family lives, and waves the Quran around in their 'I want those virgins' martydom videos...I'll damn well SHOUT.

And if (in the 21st century, and we have this repulsive supernatural garbage at greater heights of nuttiness, hate and violence any time in living memory...worldwide...especially damn Islam) we finally stick ALL religions back into the living rooms and brain pans of those who believe such things and out of the public arena away from real people and their real lives... i'll be happy to shut the **** up!
Until then i'll shout as loud as I like. Even if you don't like.

You can try to smug your way into being a remotely rational creature...but in the end your belief, and worse, defence of dark ages fantasies that kills hundreds of thousands around the globe every year and persecutes many more, means you're not remotely to be taken seriously so you really shouldn't be so smug.

And as for 'extremists'. Those are actually the real, devout, full on believers. They truly represent the faith. Unlike pick and choose merchants. So i'll forge my views on those that fully embrace a religion, not those that skip bits.

But hey, Denmark is also now slipping into that same backwards Islamic mire as everyone else (which of course gets all the other religious nutters screeching even louder) so you'll wake up eventually.

You smug.
I'll shout.

"Monkey magic! Monkey magic! Monkey magic...Monkey magic, ooooooo".

You ready? You look ready.
Dude, seriously? You sound like a freaking loon. You come in here throwing ad hominem arguments left and right, and then expect people to actually listen to what you have to say? There's no sound reasoning there.

The only person acting like a child here is you, so just cool it.

I agree.
No idea why politics and religion (though of course religion has to sprout up everywhere like a ****ing weed) is even allowed on a movie forum.

It's best we all live in ignorance about such aspects of those around us we discuss films with.

But hey, i'm like a fly. The smell of **** attracts me. So feel free to clear it up.

Ahhhh....Sweet.
At last, not hedging bets but jumping full on the typical loony fantasist train.
I love it when supernatural fanboys (hey, Buddhism can join the rest you know in sky fairy la la land) act all ****ing smug.

No one who believes on pixies can really act smug. Comes from believing in pixies.
Even Buddhist ones.
And hey, Buddha was a big babe who floated in the clouds...i know...TV's "Monkey" proved it. Buddha had one hell of a big digit to sit on as well.
I never mentioned Shakyamuni whatisname.

And as I said...as long as delusionists SH1T on the world, and specifically her country, my young daughter has to grow up in with their ****ing real world laws, persecutions, hate and judgements based on ****ING SUPERNATURAL GARBAGE I'll call them out on it.

And if (in the 21st century, and we have this repulsive supernatural garbage at greater heights of nuttiness, hate and violence any time in living memory...worldwide...especially damn Islam) we finally stick ALL religions back into the living rooms and brain pans of those who believe such things and out of the public arena away from real people and their real lives... i'll be happy to shut the **** up!
Until then i'll shout as loud as I like. Even if you don't like.

You can try to smug your way into being a remotely rational creature...but in the end your belief, and worse, defence of dark ages fantasies that kills hundreds of thousands around the globe every year and persecutes many more, means you're not remotely to be taken seriously so you really shouldn't be so smug.

And as for 'extremists'. Those are actually the real, devout, full on believers. They truly represent the faith. Unlike pick and choose merchants. So i'll forge my views on those that fully embrace a religion, not those that skip bits.

But hey, Denmark is also now slipping into that same backwards Islamic mire as everyone else (which of course gets all the other religious nutters screeching even louder) so you'll wake up eventually.

You smug.
I'll shout.

"Monkey magic! Monkey magic! Monkey magic...Monkey magic, ooooooo".
You're old enough to be a father? Here I had you pegged as a fourteen year old, angry-at-the-world, ignorant teenager. Well, most of it is still true.

Well, alright old-timer.
What do Buddhists believe in?
What do you mean when you say Buddha? (The Buddhist God?)
Do you honestly believe that a very small percentage of people define the majority's religion?
Buddhists killed hundreds of thousands of people in the dark ages?

I don't really think you'll answer these, I'm just trying to display your ignorance.

Oh look. He's doing the 'my religion is okay so there' bit.

And again a fantasist can't really call someone else on ignorance can they?

Ah...**** it. You can't argue with delusionists.

Oh look. He's doing the 'my religion is okay so there' bit.

And again a fantasist can't really call someone else on ignorance can they?

Ah...**** it. You can't argue with delusionist.
I'm beginning to realize that.