Which was the best ever war movie?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Since I said The Battle of Algiers was the best, does that belong in Combat, or non-Combat, since it's primarily terrorism acts?

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Well in The Battle of Algiers, a lot of the action is attacking civilians are attacking the police but by murdering them by surprise, so not sure if that counted as a combat war movie or not.

Well in The Battle of Algiers, a lot of the action is attacking civilians are attacking the police but by murdering them by surprise, so not sure if that counted as a combat war movie or not.
I see what you mean. It would make more sense to put it in a fourth category on terrorist attacks. I can't think of any other great/really good terrorist films involving wars I'd add to that category though.

It never sits right with me that people refer to this as a war movie, go figure.

Same as Der Bunker or Schindler's List, there should really be a separation from war movies and movies taking place during wartime
War films as a genre aren't defined that way. You're thinking of War/Action but it's a double standard if you don't treat War/Drama, or War movies spliced with any other genre, the same way.

Come and See is not a movie merely set during wartime, it is about the war. It is about the German early advance into Belarus massacring civilians. You have to remember that 80% of the people who died in WW2 were civilians.

War films as a genre aren't defined that way. You're thinking of War/Action but it's a double standard if you don't treat War/Drama, or War movies spliced with any other genre, the same way.

Come and See is not a movie merely set during wartime, it is about the war. It is about the German early advance into Belarus massacring civilians. You have to remember that 80% of the people who died in WW2 were civilians.
My point exactly. It was genocide/murder.. not war. Especially in Belarus, one of the country which suffered the most in WW2 under the SS murderers.
Do you know what a roller pigeon is, Barney? They climb high and fast, then roll over and fall just as fast toward the earth. There are shallow rollers and deep rollers. You can’t breed two deep rollers, or their young will roll all the way down, hit, and die. Officer Starling is a deep roller, Barney. We should hope one of her parents was not.

My point exactly. It was genocide/murder.. not war. Especially in Belarus, one of the country which suffered the most in WW2 under the SS murderers.

Welcome to the human race...
What is a genocide if not an act of war perpetrated by one group of people against another?

@Iroquois I guess genocide isn't necessarily an act of war, as war is defined by combat between two groups of armed combatants. So if one group isn't armed it's not technically warfare. But, @FromBeyond, you completely missed the point. I mean it sounds like you haven't even seen the movie. There is combat between these two groups of armed combatants:

plus

equals

Grave of fireflies... Did anyone mention that?

Most of the movies are already mentioned... Of the recent ones, I quite liked Der Hauptmann. It won't be greatness, but it does narrate an important event during WWII.

“You’re gonna need a bigger boat”
I haven’t watched very many but I’d say probably Saving Private Ryan. In my opinion, it has one of the best and most horrific beginnings of any film I’ve seen.

I haven’t watched very many but I’d say probably Saving Private Ryan. In my opinion, it has one of the best and most horrific beginnings of any film I’ve seen.
I totally agree with you. Of all the war films I've seen the one that stays in my head and made the biggest impact is Saving Private Ryan. Of course people like to turn their noses up at it, as it's a Spielberg film.

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
I totally agree with you. Of all the war films I've seen the one that stays in my head and made the biggest impact is Saving Private Ryan. Of course people like to turn their noses up at it, as it's a Spielberg film.
I saw it when I was five years old. I haven't rewatched it in the 15 years since, but I used to have nightmares about the Omaha Beach scene and that scene haunts me even today.
Spielberg is usually very popular and well-respected, why would people turn their noses?
It doesn't make any more sense to me than it likely does to you, but it's simply because he's popular that some like to crap on him. It's like how some anime fans like to crap on Akira and Spirited Away simply because they're two of the most popular, Spirited Away winning an Oscar for Best Animated Feature. It doesn't stop there, either. Don't ask me why, but there's just a certain sect of people who like to crap on everything and everyone that's popular.

im gonna go with, Apocalypse now