The Dark Knight review

→ in
Tools    

Hello I’m just starting out. I’m very new. I just want to see if anyone can rate my stuff to all that is reading this. My review of the Dark Knight. Some feed back would really help. Thanks. Link is below

THE DARK KNIGHT:

Do you want brutal honesty?
Yeah if you feel like being brutal. LoL

Hmm... Actually, I don't want to be brutal. It's a bad habit of mine... Kinda makes me feel narcissistic. I don't want to tear you down. I want to build you up.

The main thing I think you should focus on is the way you sound like you're reading a script. It makes the review a little boring because it's very wooden and monotone. I zoned out about two thirds of the way in and didn't finish it. The synopsis at the beginning was too long considering everyone who actually watches movies has already seen it or knows what it's about. So it makes it seem like your target audience is people who are thinking of watching it, but have no idea what it's even about. Then your review is full of spoilers that would kind of ruin it for them. So I think you should pick one audience or the other. If your audience is people who've already seen it, then I think it'd be better if the synopsis was shorter, less basic, and more personalized. It's nice to hear your thoughts on various aspects of the movie for others who are enthusiastic about it as you are. Unfortunately I don't generally like Christopher Nolan's movies, and I particularly dislike The Dark Knight Trilogy. But looking at your review objectively, I'd say it's actually pretty good. I mean, other than the monotone reading, the editing and content were decent. If that was your first youtube video, it's pretty awesome. But if you get your voice to sound more natural, enthusiastic, and vary in pitch for emphasis, then you'll be well on your way to making solid videos that I think a lot of people will enjoy.

Now one thing that I noticed was you referred to the Joker's character as scary, creepy, and strange. I liked the way you cut to him saying, “What doesn't kill you, only makes you... STRANGER!!!” But it's a super cheesy line that kinda makes me facepalm at the same time. Anyway, it was still a nice touch. But if you think that's scary, creepy, and strange... well I could give you some recommendations that would expand your boundaries in that department. If you're happy being on the same level as my mom, then that's fine too I guess. (That last line was me trying to be funny, not insulting.)

Anyway, overall pretty decent, but I didn't finish it.

And, oh snap, looks like your youtube account just got banned?

Really. Wow. I didn’t see if get banned. I’ll have to look at it. Thanks for the info. I really appreciate you taking the time to write all of this. I was reading from a script I wrote. Thanks for that input. And I didn’t take offense to the mom joke. When I read it. It was funny. I literally LOL. Thanks again. Yes this was my very first Youtube video. But now have to check on this and see why I got banned. 😬

Youtube is really messed up when it comes to copyright, so it's probably for showing footage from the movie. I watched it the first time without a problem, but then when I tried to finish it later it said the account associated with it had been terminated. Skynet zapped you. :P

That's good advice, re: sounding like you're reading a script. Podcasts and YouTube videos need to sound more conversational. Ideally, you'd just get really great at sounding natural while reading a script (shortcut: picks points of heavy inflection ahead of time and lean into them a lot), but that's tough, takes time and skill and practice and all that and it might never sound perfect.

A nice half-measure that's worked for me in similar situations is to have general notes, but not specific words. So a word or two to remind me of a point I want to make, which I then just say however it occurs to me in the moment. It sounds kinda natural because it's genuinely off-the-cuff, but helps you along a little.

I'd say his editing was better, but your voice was better Ami-Scythe.
Thanks for all the info. You guys all rock!!

Especially because it sounds like you did a better job on your first go than I did, like a lot better
Thank you

Especially because it sounds like you did a better job on your first go than I did, like a lot better
It’s back up. Thanks for the info

It is back up if you want to check it out. Thanks

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
It's pretty good, although every time I watch The Dark Knight, I can't help but feel that they portray the police as too Hollywood. They never shoot anyone it seems.

SPOILERS

When the one guy shoots at Coleman Reese, the police actually run up to him and try to take his gun away rather than shoot him. When the police go to arrest all of Joker's men in the climax, they run up to all of them and take their guns away with their martial arts moves, rather than shoot them. It just all seemed phony and Hollywood, especially when it's suppose to take place in a high crime city, where cops are not suppose to have qualms about getting their hands dirty. So that all always sticks out for me, but it's still a pretty good movie.

It's pretty good, although every time I watch The Dark Knight, I can't help but feel that they portray the police as too Hollywood. They never shoot anyone it seems.

SPOILERS

When the one guy shoots at Coleman Reese, the police actually run up to him and try to take his gun away rather than shoot him. When the police go to arrest all of Joker's men in the climax, they run up to all of them and take their guns away with their martial arts moves, rather than shoot them. It just all seemed phony and Hollywood, especially when it's suppose to take place in a high crime city, where cops are not suppose to have qualms about getting their hands dirty. So that all always sticks out for me, but it's still a pretty good movie.
Interesting. Can't say I ever noticed that before you mentioned it.

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Yeah I just thought it was kind of strange, for a city that is suppose to be high crime, and down and dirty with police that are not suppose to be messing around.