Delivery: The Beast Within (2014)

→ in
Tools    

Delivery: The Beast Within
Director: Brian Netto
with Laurel Vail Danny Barclay Elizabeth Sandy Rob Cobuzio Colter Allison Rebecca Brooks Lance Buckner
Writer: Brian Netto
Cinematography: Andy Bates
Music: Daniel Cossu
MPAA: Not Rated (equivalent of an R for language, disturbing images, terror, and some violence)

What’s it about?
Delivery tells the story of Kyle and Rachel Massy, a young couple who agree to document their first pregnancy for a family-oriented reality show. The production spirals out-of-control after the cameras capture a series of unexplained events, leading Rachel to believe that a malevolent spirit has possessed their unborn child.

My Take
Ever since The Blair Witch Project was released back 99, a frenzy of similarly styled films have been released. Some great, some abysmal. The sub-genre has taken on just about everything that goes bump in the night, from Aliens, to Ghosts, Demonic Possession, to a destruction of a family, to big foot, and of course, potentially evil pregnancy. Delivery falls in that last category, and unlike Devil’s Due from earlier this year, this one gets it right across the board.
In the film Kyle and Rachel are excited for their pregnancy, though anxious since the last resulted in miscarriage. The film initially takes on the style of one of those ‘ My Baby Stories’ you’d see on lifetime, an interesting and clever approach. But as things become more and more dire (doors begin to slam, Rachel begins strange habits and behavior, strange sounds, etc.) the film returns to it’s faux-doc style, showing us the rest of the unused footage “which was never aired or edited”.
Delivery stands above the rest for it’s sheer attempt at originality, this isn’t your basic, run of the mill, “faux doc” “found footage” whatever you want to call it flick. It doesn’t end with things left open, instead it refreshingly pulls through to a genuinely gasp inducing ending that puts earlier events in perspective. Another requirement in which the film succeeds are the performances, which have to be convincing in a film like this. Fortunately they are across the board. Especially Laurel Vail as the tormented Rachel, and Danny Barclay as the supportive husband trying to keep it together. You actually get involved with these characters, and feel bit of empathy for them when, well, all hell breaks loose.
Now, the main reason these films are made, is to scare or jolt the audience, and yet again Delivery, eh, delivers on that account as well. From subtle creep outs, to full on intense scares (which are never cheap) the film slowly builds its dread. This all leads up to a crescendo of horror I dare not speak of, but let’s just say it’s one hell of a shock. And if the loud gasp I let out, with my hand over my mouth, unblinking for at least a minute is any indication, well I applaud everyone involved.
Sadly not many people will see Delivery, which is too bad. It’s sad when genuinely interesting and scary films are kept on the down low, while mainstream Paranormal Activity fare is spewed out every October with diminishing results. But this is one not to be missed, and I suggest you seek it out immediately.
Delivery delivers in spades.

FINAL SCORE: (out of four)
Jurassic Park Dominion- 0.5/5
What Josiah Saw- (4.5/5)