Your top 5 of the year so far...

Tools    

IM me. Ni!
master and commander wasn't bad. i generally don't like war movies or anything of the sort but it wasn't as bad as i thought

and
please go to www.john-lennon.com/petition and sign

My new faves:

1. Master and Commander
2. Kill Bill
3. Finding Nemo
4. Pirates of Carribean
5. X2

A system of cells interlinked
1 X2
2 Pirates
3 Once upon a time in Mexico
4 Kill Bill
5 (this spot reserved for Matrix, which I will see tonight)

As for Ridley Scott, He has directed 2 of the best sci-fi films of all time IMHO:

Alien
Blade Runner

I do however think it's been a while since he has done anything great (Gladiator was OK, but not great, and NOT best pic)

IM me. Ni!
sci-fi is awesome and i love ridley scott

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Yet MORE changes...My Updated Top five so far:

5. Holes - Amazingly well made and darkly funny.

4. Pirates Of The Carribean - Viva Johnny Depp!

3. Kill Bill Vol. 1 - Tarantino just having fun.

2. Identity - a twisty mind-f*ck of a movie, second only to :

1. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind - STILL nothing can touch it's brilliance!!!

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

did you call moi a dipshiit?
hmm...

finding nemo
pirates of the caribean
kill bill

I'd have to say the best 5 movies this year must have been : Adaptation, Matchstick men, Buffalo Soldiers, The 25th hour, Insomnia

Tupac - Resurrection

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
New List (sort of in this order):

10) City of Ghosts
9) Pirates of the Caribbean
8) Open Range
7) American Splendor
6) Mystic River
5) The Human Stain
4) School of Rock
3) The Man on the Train
2) Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
1) Kill Bill Vol. 1

In limbo now are: Elf, Identity, and May

1. Lost in Translation
2. Dogville
3. City of God
4. The Last Samurai
5. City of Ghosts
6. The Good Thief
7. Intolerable Cruelty
8. Dirty Pretty Things
9. Capturing the Friedmans
10. A Mighty Wind
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

01. Kill Bill Vol. 1
02. Japanese Story
03. School of Rock
04. Mystic River
05. Intolerable Cruelty

As per usual with me, I still have a lot to see, so take the list with a grain of salt. I've been very unimpressed thus far. Not one film has been worthy of a 4-star review. And I don't consider City of God a 2003 picture, just for the record.

So, you liked The Last Samurai, Holden? If I remember correctly, you didn't expect much?

Yes, do tell Holden. I'd love to know what you thought of it. Again, I'll update my list:

Runners up:

15) 28 Days Later
14) Identity
13) Elf
12) City of Ghosts
11) Open Range
10) Pirates of the Caribbean
9) The Man Without a Past
8) American Splendor
7) Shattered Glass
6) Mystic River

The top 5:

5) The Human Stain
4) School of Rock
3) The Man on the Train
2) Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
1) Kill Bill Vol. 1

I'm going to try to see Elephant, 21 Grams, and maybe The Station Agent later today...so I might be changing this very soon.

I'm not one for star ratings usually, but I'll go as far as to say the classics (in my opinion) that have come out of this year thus far are Master and Commander and Kill Bill.

And Silver: You don't? Why not? What about 28 Days Later and May? To my knowlege The Man on the Train and The Man Without a Past were both released last year in their respective countries, and are just now being released here. Do they count?

I didn't expect anything from The Last Samurai, but it's a terrific movie. I raved about it in the shoutbox, scroll back a bit. I'm going to see it again tonight (already the second time in six days).

The Last Samurai is an old-style epic, a very well-made though straightforward movie. Good length too, at just a shade over two hours. They didn't bloat the running time just for the sake of bloating - perfect, really (like the blossoms). It sets up the themes quickly and efficiently, establishes a few interesting characters, then lets it all play out as it should, rather than bogging down in cliche or heavy hommage, and without tacking-on unneccesary commercial concessions - with the important narrative decisions coming from character rather than plot mechanics. The action sequences are crisp, the final battle is fantastic, the acting is all uniformly good and the cinematography is breathtaking. I'm not much of a Cruise booster, but he's very right for this role.

In short, a grand time at the cinema.

GRADE: A-

Cyberdine Systems Model 101
Kill Bill
X2
Pirates of the Caribbean
Finding Nemo
Terminator 3

Originally Posted by Beale the Rippe
And Silver: You don't? Why not? What about 28 Days Later and May? To my knowlege The Man on the Train and The Man Without a Past were both released last year in their respective countries, and are just now being released here. Do they count?
Well, they do to most people, and to the Academy, but not to me. For the most part, I go with the IMDb date. I watch a lot of movies, and often, they only way I know what list to add them to [only if they're worthy of that, of course] is to check the database. It's easier for me this way.

And for this reason, Man on the Train, 28 Days Later, City of God and The Good Thief are all 2002 films in my book. But, hey. To each his own.

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I bet you were somewhat thrilled when it was much more than what you expected too.

Moments like that are good.

Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
Well, they do to most people, and to the Academy, but not to me. For the most part, I go with the IMDb date. I watch a lot of movies, and often, they only way I know what list to add them to [only if they're worthy of that, of course] is to check the database. It's easier for me this way.

And for this reason, Man on the Train, 28 Days Later, City of God and The Good Thief are all 2002 films in my book. But, hey. To each his own.
Cool then.

I didn't expect anything from The Last Samurai, but it's a terrific movie. I raved about it in the shoutbox, scroll back a bit. I'm going to see it again tonight (already the second time in six days).

The Last Samurai is an old-style epic, a very well-made though straightforward movie. Good length too, at just a shade over two hours. They didn't bloat the running time just for the sake of bloating - perfect, really (like the blossoms). It sets up the themes quickly and efficiently, establishes a few interesting characters, then lets it all play out as it should, rather than bogging down in cliche or heavy hommage, and without tacking-on unneccesary commercial concessions - with the important narrative decisions coming from character rather than plot mechanics. The action sequences are crisp, the final battle is fantastic, the acting is all uniformly good and the cinematography is breathtaking. I'm not much of a Cruise booster, but he's very right for this role.

How'd you get to see it already?

Sidenote: I could've seen The Last Samurai at an advanced screening (we Texans seem to be really into that), but I had a date...which was a mixed blessing.

Thanks for the review, I'll definitley be seeing that this friday.

Cyberdine Systems Model 101
The previews for The Last Samurai don't look that bad. Tom Cruise looks excellent in that film. I'll probably go see it on Friday.

An American In Paris ****/*****
Once Upon A Time In China *****/*****
Father of the Bride ****/*****
Spartacus *****/*****
The Hidden Fortress ****/*****

You can view my review for each of those films at T-850's Reviews