The Star Wars Trilogy on DVD in 2004?

Tools    

Originally Posted by jrs
Nope ! here to witness Hayden destroying perfectly good work.
wow i cant believe they did that. thats really stupid but i never like the way Vader looked under the mask anyway. i expected him to look completly different not like a crusty skinned old guy. But i would of perferred the original ending instead of this. its still not gonna stop me from buying this.

Originally Posted by MichaelMyers
i expected him to look completly different not like a crusty skinned old guy.
WoW! You should show more respect towards crusty skinned old guys.

Originally Posted by Escape
WoW! You should show more respect towards crusty skinned old guys.
im sorry to any crusty skinned old guys that i offended with my post i should of had showed more respect.

anyway i found this on the web did anyone else see this
stupid changes

even though there are all these changes i still might get this for the making of features and i dont have any version of any of these films so i want to own them

Originally Posted by MichaelMyers
im sorry to any crusty skinned old guys that i offended with my post i should of had showed more respect.

anyway i found this on the web did anyone else see this
stupid changes

even though there are all these changes i still might get this for the making of features and i dont have any version of any of these films so i want to own them
Thanks for the link michael.
I still hate the fact that greedo got a shot off on Han.
However, jabba's eyes were all wrong and now seem more natural, and I did always noticed Vaders light sabre when he was dueling with ben to be a little on the white side rather than red. Overall, a little better but still not good enough.

Resident Metro-Sexual
Here are some audio problems that have been noticed by the guys over at www.digitalbits.com.

1) The familiar Force theme trumpet fanfare that used to play right after Red Leader says: "This is it!" and just as the X-wings start diving towards the Death Star's surface has been dialed back in volume so that it's almost inaudible - it's almost completely buried in the surround mix.

2) The audio quality varies wildly as Tarkin says the line: "You would prefer another target, a military target? Then name the system." - almost as if the master sound element was damaged. It's very distracting.

3) Possibly most critically, John Williams' entire score for the film has been flipped in the rear channels, so that what should be the left rear channel is playing from the right rear channel (and vise versa). What this means is that the rear channels don't match the front channels - instruments heard from the front right channel come from the left rear instead of the right rear. Again, this is very distracting once you notice it.

Go to the site to see the cop out response from Lucasfilm as well.

There are those who call me...Tim.
WARNING: "Star Wars changes" spoilers below
Is it just me or has the Alderaan explosion been re-done? I swear it didn't look that good when I saw it last (could do with getting rid of that silly ring though).
Also, the fight between Kenobi and Vader on the Death Star seems to be faster paced and more exciting than it used to be, and the improved lightsabre effect really helps things (shame they couldn't have done that everywhere else), and the Jabba scene looks better.
Shame that Greedo still shoots first, but it is faster and I suppose this is as good as we're going to get.
However, there were some silly changes made, like re-doing the scene in Empire when Vader talks to the Emperor. MacDiarmid is dreadful in that scene, and the changes to the dialogue are un-necessary.
And why were Vader's eyebrows removed? Oh sure Anakin probably loses his eyebrows in Revenge of the Sith, but now I can't sympathise with him at all when he finally turns good at the end of Jedi.

And this is my BOOMstick!
I just bought it!

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Heartagram
Here are some audio problems that have been noticed by the guys over at www.digitalbits.com.

1) The familiar Force theme trumpet fanfare that used to play right after Red Leader says: "This is it!" and just as the X-wings start diving towards the Death Star's surface has been dialed back in volume so that it's almost inaudible - it's almost completely buried in the surround mix.

2) The audio quality varies wildly as Tarkin says the line: "You would prefer another target, a military target? Then name the system." - almost as if the master sound element was damaged. It's very distracting.

3) Possibly most critically, John Williams' entire score for the film has been flipped in the rear channels, so that what should be the left rear channel is playing from the right rear channel (and vise versa). What this means is that the rear channels don't match the front channels - instruments heard from the front right channel come from the left rear instead of the right rear. Again, this is very distracting once you notice it.

Go to the site to see the cop out response from Lucasfilm as well.
I heard about this as well... I also just finished watching the film. Guess I forgot to listen for the audio problems. Seems like they would have presented themselves while I was watching.

To: The dude at digitalbits

Hi, Please learn how to set up your surround sound correctly.

Also, there are changes to these versions of the film, you did hear about it didn't you? So if the friggin trumpet isn't mixed they way you like, buy a trumpet and play along, knob. Wahhhhhh, the film isn't perfect, wahhhhhh.

SHUT UP.

regards,

Sedai@MofO

Resident Metro-Sexual
Originally Posted by Sedai
To: The dude at digitalbits

Hi, Please learn how to set up your surround sound correctly.

Also, there are changes to these versions of the film, you did hear about it didn't you? So if the friggin trumpet isn't mixed they way you like, buy a trumpet and play along, knob. Wahhhhhh, the film isn't perfect, wahhhhhh.

SHUT UP.

regards,

Sedai@MofO

Way to tell em' Sedai, now if only we can get a Robin Hood Men In Tights release i wouldnt be happier.

i just finished watching the DVD's, and here are some changes i noticed

1.) Boba Fett's Voice has been re-recorded, (same lines, diffferent actor)
2.) Ending shot of Empire, it now ends on a pull back from the Med Frigate instead of its original ending of Luke, Leia, and the droids. (Its like an extra 3 seconds, but i dont like it.)
3.) WHAT THE HELL WAS WITH THOSE GREEN BOXES AROUND THE TIES IN EP. IV?
i swear ive never noticed those before on my VHS.
4.) They took out Luke's scream in Empire as he fell from the platform. Im sure they paid good money for that little Gem of alteration.
5.) Looked like they re-inserted some of the planets into the movies- they looked really good.

But man- they're just so damn beautiful. Picture and sound are better than i ever though that they could be. (Those are that changes we all care about.)

Originally Posted by Zeiken
2.) Ending shot of Empire: it now ends on a pull-back from the Med Frigate instead of its original ending of Luke, Leia and the droids (it's like an extra 3 seconds, but I don't like it)
Well, you may not like it, but that has always been how Empire ends. That's not an added shot, that's your faulty memory.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Nitzer
I just bought it!
Sorry.

Just kidding. I'll probably end up buying it too, since there isn't much of a chance that I'll ever own the theatrical cuts on any media format.

Originally Posted by Garrett
Sorry.

Just kidding. I'll probably end up buying it too, since there isn't much of a chance that I'll ever own the theatrical cuts on any media format.

They are on my wishlist. I might get them someday in the way, way future. To be honest, I can't even purchase anything , yet whenever I do get a chance I have other DVDs in mind .

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Well, you may not like it, but that has always been how Empire ends. That's not an added shot, that's your faulty memory.
well...i am getting old.....
Did it end like that in SE as well? Or just OOT?
My bad

The Satchel Snatcher's on the loose
At the end of Jedi, the three former Jedi knights should consist of the original character playing Anakin, standing next to Sir Alec Guiness, and Yoda. Well at the end of the DVD release, Lucas substituted Hayden Christiansen in at the end with Guiness and Yoda, instead of the original actor.

WTF!

Enough with the congruency agenda here Lucas.
The old ones should stay untouched and the new ones a whole seperate trilogy.

Originally Posted by FrankTheBunny420
At the end of Jedi, the three former Jedi knights should consist of the original character playing Anakin, standing next to Sir Alec Guiness, and Yoda. Well at the end of the DVD release, Lucas substituted Hayden Christiansen in at the end with Guiness and Yoda, instead of the original actor.

WTF!

Enough with the congruency agenda here Lucas.
The old ones should stay untouched and the new ones a whole seperate trilogy.
I think I agree with the sentiment...even though the post is nearly incomprehensible.

The Satchel Snatcher's on the loose
Incomprehensible?? You understand what i'm getting at here though.

Lucas wants to make the original trilogy and the new trilogy congruent, which is why he's adding alot of modern backgrounds to the scenes with Cloud City, and the ending of the DVD release of Return of the Jedi. He wants to make them flow as though they were one big movie, especially by replacing the original Anakin with Hayden at the end of Jedi.

This is rediculous. Those three original are classics, not to be touched or tampered with.

I think it makes perfect sense to show Hayden at the end of ROTJ.

Think about it: When a Jedi goes to the Dark Side, he ceases to be the same individual, and the Sith persona takes over. When Anakin came back to the Light Side, Vader was in effect dead. So wouldn't it make since for his ghost to appear as it was BEFORE the fall? ANAKIN didn't age into that old man, VADER DID. Anakin was a young man when he died, so his ghost should reflect that.

But that's just my two cents, and I doubt anyone here's gonna like it too much.

Arresting your development
Originally Posted by DarthBudzy

Think about it: When a Jedi goes to the Dark Side, he ceases to be the same individual, and the Sith persona takes over. When Anakin came back to the Light Side, Vader was in effect dead. So wouldn't it make since for his ghost to appear as it was BEFORE the fall? ANAKIN didn't age into that old man, VADER DID. Anakin was a young man when he died, so his ghost should reflect that.

I'm cool with this theory!

There are those who call me...Tim.
Originally Posted by DarthBudzy

I understand the theory, but it's one continuity error fixed at the expense of another. How on earth is Luke meant to know who the hell that person is looking back at him? There should be some sort of...thing that I can't think of, on Anakins body or clothing, that Luke should be able to recognise.
Another problem is just how much he stands out. He doesn't interact with the Yoda and Ben at all.
Anyway, even though I said I understood the theory, I don't like the idea at all. He just doesn't look like the warm hearted, cheerful looking grandfather figure that he looked like in the original version, and the ending to what will eventually be about 13 hours has been spoilt, which is a real shame as it was one of the few bits in the film that I liked.